Times Square Bombing Suspect Caught - At Last Second

So I'm in Bridgeport, and I'm traveling south on North Avenue on the way to an auto shop on Sage. Anyway, I'm on one of the busiest stretches and all of a sudden an entire neighborhood is marked off with yellow tape. And a detour ... which is where the story starts. So I didn't realize that the detour had just spilled me back on to North Avenue, so I was lost because I was working from memorized directions. So I wind up n this heavily guarded and confined little path, and a shoulder, and four Bridgeport cops on the outer perimeter of a six block by four block area. And I get out and figured it's like 82 out (this happened today) why make these poor guys walk over in body armour? So I walk up and see they're SWAT-type armed and here's this idiot asking for directions. But they were good guys and local and the one cop gave great directions. So as we're finishing I say "By the way, I was stuck in St. Vincent's Hospital for like 48 hours..." (It's related to the need to be heading to the collision shop on Sage Street...) "I just went past a CNN dish, and there's FBI and ATF and Homeland Security guys everywhere. May I ask what's going on?" And he says, "the guy that left the bomb in Times Square? They're searching his garage." Now I'm watching CNN feeds looking for a blue Hyundai. With a handsome but bald driver. Who's Mom is doing very well on chemo. (Thank-you, Mother Mary, for the assist.) Very sorry I've been so scarce since before the Draft...

You were not missed, trust me. :nana:

Bombing suspect was expecting police when he was arrested on the airplane. The way the no flight list will be handled in the future is likely to change now too.

Good article and video here;

LINK

"I was expecting you. Are you NYPD or FBI?" Faisal Shahzad asked a law enforcement official when he was seized on a plane late Monday -- a dramatic arrest minutes before the Emirates passenger jet was to depart from John F. Kennedy International Airport for Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The sources, directly involved in the investigation of the botched bombing attempt on Saturday night, told CNN that Shahzad suspected authorities were on to him after news reports that he allegedly bought a vehicle in Connecticut.

Shahzad, arrested by New York detectives and FBI agents, is now in federal custody.

He was able to board Emirates Flight 202 late Monday despite being put on a no-fly list earlier in the day, leading some to question whether the no-fly list worked.

This reminds me of David Berkowitz's famous "What took ya so long" comment to police.

I'm not sure why the majority of the attempted terrorist acts inside the US have been so amateurish and poorly executed. Quite frankly, we have been very lucky. It seems that it's only a matter of time until one day, someone who is better equipped and better trained, causes a catastrophe. And it seems that we are largely very ill prepared to prevent it.

Well Al Quaeda has just come out and said they have operatives here and are going to be striking soon. We'll see how well LE does with that now.

From the article linked above; A Pakistani Taliban spokesman said Wednesday his group has no link to Shahzad, but he warned that its fighters have been sent to the United States and the "results" of that decision will soon be evident.

So I'm in Bridgeport, and I'm traveling south on North Avenue on the way to a collision shop on Sage. Anyway, I'm on one of the busiest stretches and all of a sudden an entire neighborhood is marked off with yellow tape. And a detour ... which is where the story starts. So I didn't realize that the detour had just spilled me back on to North Avenue, so I was lost because I was working from memorized directions. So I wind up in this heavily guarded and confined little path, and a shoulder, and four Bridgeport cops on the outer perimeter of a six block by four block area. And I get out and figured it's like 82 out (this happened today) why make these poor guys walk over in body armour? So I walk up and see they're SWAT-type armed and here's this idiot asking for directions. But they were good guys and local and the one cop gave great directions. So as we're finishing I say "By the way, I was stuck in St. Vincent's Hospital for like 48 hours..." (It's related to the need to be heading to the collision shop on Sage Street...) "I just went past a CNN dish, and there's FBI and ATF and Homeland Security guys everywhere. May I ask what's going on?" And he says, "the guy that left the bomb in Times Square? They're searching his garage." Now I'm watching CNN feeds looking for a blue Hyundai. With a handsome but bald driver. Who's Mom is doing very well on chemo. (Thank-you, Mother Mary, for the assist.) Very sorry I've been so scarce since before the Draft...

Glad to hear your Mom's doing well. :w00t:

What a dumbass this guy was. Authorities are calling him a wannabe. Not the sharpest tool in the shed though.

Link

The source, who did not explain how Shahzad had attempted to set off the bomb, said he then took a number of turns and wound up entering Times Square by driving south down Seventh Avenue.

It's unclear why Shahzad left the Pathfinder's engine running and hazard lights blinking.

But because of an incredible goof, Shahzad couldn't use his escape car. He had accidentally left the keys to that vehicle in the Pathfinder that he thought was about to blow up, the source said.

He apparently went to a train station, where he boarded a Metro North train back to Connecticut.

Another law enforcement source told CNN that investigators found a train receipt used by Shahzad that is stamped about 7 p.m., a half hour after a witness notified authorities that the car in Times Square was filing with smoke.

Sources say investigators believe he ran to catch the train that pulled out around 7 or 7:15 Saturday night.

Thank God he's an idiot. Others may not be so stupid.