Nix's Comment . . . Bad News

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a strong nucleus overall is my point. Mayo recently is their best pick.

Agreed, but they need to start getting players that can come in and play, because the Pats* are an old team. They are essentially screwing themselves over a couple years down the road, IMO.

Almost this entire board give props to Buddy Nix, saying things like how much better he'll be than previous GMs, I trust Buddy to do the right thing, Buddy won't make the same old mistakes etc.

But, I am very disappointed to hear his comments about moving around in the draft. He said in a recent press conference that we don't really look to move much, and "I don't know where some of those guys know where they even draft." It got a chuckle from those listening. Nix has very little interest in that option, rather moving up or down. He said "we'll most often just sit where we are and draft from there". But, this reeks of not getting full value of player vs. draft slot. It's almost like Buddy was just too set in his ways, or tired, or old to even want to bother with it. He just doesn't want to "work" the draft. Very troubling comment.

New England has proven that if you know how to do this manuever, it will benefit you. Adam Schefter also, on local, Denver radio, summarized that the Broncos got the net effect of an additional 3rd rounder by all of their moves. The great Dallas teams of the 90's under Jimmy Johnson (I know we hated them) were master's of this practice, and the results were obvious.

Now, I'm not condemning his draft picks (yet) because we just don't know yet. But, it is an inherent disadvantage not to move up or down if/when the situation warrants it and you don't bother. It is not working the draft to your largest advantage.

Sigh...

Agreed, but they need to start getting players that can come in and play, because the Pats* are an old team. They are essentially screwing themselves over a couple years down the road, IMO.

With the way they work the draft, they will re-load. . . the basic premise of this post. Obviously players come and go, and you need to re-load. They'll do that better than almost anyone else.

I don't want to get stuck on the Pats. My point is that WE could do this too. Why let them have an advantage over us this way?

With the way they work the draft, they will re-load. . . the basic premise of this post. Obviously players come and go, and you need to re-load. They'll do that better than almost anyone else.

I don't want to get stuck on the Pats. My point is that WE could do this too. Why let them have an advantage over us this way?

They can't expect to keep getting lucky on 6th round HOF'ers. Sure they can draft a ton of people, but how many of these lower round guys do they expect to actually become a competent player in the NFL?

And how many 1st round CB's can you take?

Polian has never moved around and has built how many teams that have went to the super bowl?

i am so tired of hearing about the Pats and how they move around so much...what is the point of moving around so much if you are not hitting on your picks? they turned a 3 into a 2 next year and will probably turn that 2 into a 1 the following year...whats the point?

they moved around so much this year and drafted two TE's that probably wont be on the team in 5 years....yeah Im impressed

So New England picks a ton of players? Big deal.

Since 2005 they've drafted 45 players (Buffalo has drafted 40)

Since 2005 New England has drafted 3 Pro Bowlers. (Buffalo has drafted 2)

I see the Pats* as kinda the extreme in "working" the draft. All they've done is work the draft, moving up and back and all around. It seems like they like making draft trades more than they like making draft picks.

So, if they make all those trades, but then trade those trades to get more trades; when do they ever get players playing?

Of the other end of the spectrum is the Bills. Make no moves, stay where you are and pick the guys you want regardless of "value".

I see the Pats* as kinda the extreme in "working" the draft. All they've done is work the draft, moving up and back and all around. It seems like they like making draft trades more than they like making draft picks.

So, if they make all those trades, but then trade those trades to get more trades; when do they ever get players playing?

Of the other end of the spectrum is the Bills. Make no moves, stay where you are and pick the guys you want regardless of "value".

+1. Just cause you can "work" the draft, doesn't make it a good draft.

They can't expect to keep getting lucky on 6th round HOF'ers. Sure they can draft a ton of people, but how many of these lower round guys do they expect to actually become a competent player in the NFL?

And how many 1st round CB's can you take?

They have Oakland's #1 next year. They also have Carolina's #2 next year as well, after picking it up yesterday. As well as their own. They may not need to get that lucky again.

They have Oakland's #1 next year. They also have Carolina's #2 next year as well, after picking it up yesterday. As well as their own. They may not need to get that lucky again.

Until they trade both of those picks next year, for picks the following year....

Polian has never moved around and has built how many teams that have went to the super bowl?

i am so tired of hearing about the Pats and how they move around so much...what is the point of moving around so much if you are not hitting on your picks? they turned a 3 into a 2 next year and will probably turn that 2 into a 1 the following year...whats the point?

they moved around so much this year and drafted two TE's that probably wont be on the team in 5 years....yeah Im impressed

My point? Who's been winning the last decade and who's been losing?

Until they trade both of those picks next year, for picks the following year....

I'd be willing to bet they don't use that "draft pick" to actually draft a player.

No, it doesn't. But, it can be an advantage.

I don't think anyone's saying it can't.

Almost this entire board give props to Buddy Nix, saying things like how much better he'll be than previous GMs, I trust Buddy to do the right thing, Buddy won't make the same old mistakes etc.

But, I am very disappointed to hear his comments about moving around in the draft. He said in a recent press conference that we don't really look to move much, and "I don't know where some of those guys know where they even draft." It got a chuckle from those listening. Nix has very little interest in that option, rather moving up or down. He said "we'll most often just sit where we are and draft from there". But, this reeks of not getting full value of player vs. draft slot. It's almost like Buddy was just too set in his ways, or tired, or old to even want to bother with it. He just doesn't want to "work" the draft. Very troubling comment.

New England has proven that if you know how to do this manuever, it will benefit you. Adam Schefter also, on local, Denver radio, summarized that the Broncos got the net effect of an additional 3rd rounder by all of their moves. The great Dallas teams of the 90's under Jimmy Johnson (I know we hated them) were master's of this practice, and the results were obvious.

Now, I'm not condemning his draft picks (yet) because we just don't know yet. But, it is an inherent disadvantage not to move up or down if/when the situation warrants it and you don't bother. It is not working the draft to your largest advantage.

Maybe Bad news for you and the Chicken Littles of this board. I do not give a Monkey's ASS how he does it as long as he builds a team to be proud of it, GO NIX and GAILEY