Patriots Have 13 Picks

symbiant

They'll end up trading half of those into future picks then half of what they draft won't make the team.

All in the name of "good value"

Yeah. It's an unorthodox approach.

The two JJ's in Dallas really popularized the hoarding of draft picks (J. Johnson, btw also pioneered the draft trade value chart) but Belichick has taken it to almost an absurd level.

It's nice that they can trade them in packages to move up when they want...but the odd thing is that they haven't drafted very well in recent years. Didn't they take Patrick Chung before we took his teammmate, Jairus Byrd?

They've missed on a lot of picks lately. That might be in part due to the fact that you can only turn over so much of your roster in any one year. A lot of those picks end up fighting an uphill battle just to make the roster and when they don't, they are nothing more than high-priced camp fodder.

Far be it for me to second guess the great Belichick but he might be taking this concept a bit too far.

The two JJ's in Dallas really popularized the hoarding of draft picks (J. Johnson, btw also pioneered the draft trade value chart) but Belichick has taken it to almost an absurd level.

It's nice that they can trade them in packages to move up when they want...but the odd thing is that they haven't drafted very well in recent years. Didn't they take Patrick Chung before we took his teammmate, Jairus Byrd?

They've missed on a lot of picks lately. That might be in part due to the fact that you can only turn over so much of your roster in any one year. A lot of those picks end up fighting an uphill battle just to make the roster and when they don't, they are nothing more than high-priced camp fodder.

Far be it for me to second guess the great Belichick but he might be taking this concept a bit too far.

I get the recent philosophy of future picks, but I felt this was the year they should have gone in the opposite direction.

Their roster is devoid of impact. This was the year they should have been aggressive in improving a stale roster.

Maybe the Pats haven't drafted quite as poorly as I'd thought.

Last year they used 12 draft picks. In addition to taking Patrick Chung ahead of college teammate Jairus Byrd, they also too Ron Brace and Darius Butler ahead of Byrd...all within 8 picks of Byrd.

Here's a link to their draft from last year:

http://internet128.com/index.php/2009/04/2...ots-2009-draft/

I get the recent philosophy of future picks, but I felt this was the year they should have gone in the opposite direction.

Their roster is devoid of impact. This was the year they should have been aggressive in improving a stale roster.

Agreed. I was going to make that point also but I didn't want to go too long.

With all the picks, they have the ability to trade up very high and take a super blue-chipper. It seems like the best way to employ their strategy is to accumulate, and then spend those picks. At some point the picks can atrophy and lose value.

Maybe the Pats haven't drafted quite as poorly as I'd thought.

Last year they used 12 draft picks. In addition to taking Patrick Chung ahead of college teammate Jairus Byrd, they also too Ron Brace and Darius Butler ahead of Byrd...all within 8 picks of Byrd.

Here's a link to their draft from last year:

http://internet128.com/index.php/2009/04/2...ots-2009-draft/

And the picks they traded down from become rookie pro-bowlers Oher and Matthews.

And the picks they traded down from become rookie pro-bowlers Oher and Matthews.

Good point, something is not quite working in their drafting philosophy. They're brilliant in their stockpiling, but their use of those picks seems to be lacking.

I read something recently that the Patsies have the smallest draft board of all NFL teams.

They disqualify lots of players for various reasons (character, scheme fit, etc). Other teams do this too but I wonder if the Chowds are being too selective in who they'll allow themselves to draft.

Their strategy on stockpiling picks for value is sound, but don't confuse it with actually picking the right players at those spots. It really is apples and oranges in terms of the types of moves. The strategy can validly be faulted, but not for the reason that they picked players that were unable to develop. They simply chose the wrong players, and I love it!

Good point, something is not quite working in their drafting philosophy. They're brilliant in their stockpiling, but their use of those picks seems to be lacking.

I read something recently that the Patsies have the smallest draft board of all NFL teams.

They disqualify lots of players for various reasons (character, scheme fit, etc). Other teams do this too but I wonder if the Chowds are being too selective in who they'll allow themselves to draft.

Their strategy on stockpiling picks for value is sound, but don't confuse it with actually picking the right players at those spots. It really is apples and oranges in terms of the types of moves. The strategy can validly be faulted, but not for the reason that they picked players that were unable to develop. They simply chose the wrong players, and I love it!

We're definitely speaking the same language, bro. Hopefully they suck at drafting this year.