anyone moved to a different state while on unemployment?

Reed83HOF

I have been on unemployment since the end of June last year. (I was on disability in my previous job which paid me over 50k a year, came back and let go the day after my return, along with other managers). The job market in this area is horribile and my gf and I are thinking of moving out west to California (figure if we are gonna move, it should be to a nicer climate), where she will receive a substantial pay increase (35k to 50-80k) and there are jobs available that I have experience in and pay about 50K a year. Not that the $1600 a month I make on unemployment is a lot of money, but it's better than nothing. Most companies won't hire unless you are local as relocation assistance is no longer being offered and at least money will be coming in for me while I'm trying to get some sort of job that pays more out there. It looks like from what I have found online that receiving unemployment while moving out of state to look for work is allowed....I'm just wondering if anyone has had any expereince with it and what their experiences have been - this is the government after all, there has to be a hitch or delay or something....

This leads me to my other topic - anyone have any first hand experience with a cross country move? From what I've found online it will cost about $3500 to use ABF freight - they drop a trailer off, you pack and they move, and deliver and you unload. By comparison a Uhaul with a trailer to tow a car is about $2700 (not including tolls gas and the hassel of driving that pos). We can also take our time on our way out there and not have to worry about people stealing our stuff....

We don't have a lot of junk that we can pitch or sell, just a couple bedroom sets, living room and dining room sets, clothes, guitars and thats about it. Seeing that we are looking at the San Diego, LA and San Fran areas - we know it ain't cheap there. Ideally we would love to get to the San Fran area, but its the most expensive place to live (looking at apartment rates) and me finding a job there is more difficult than the other places. If we sold some living room furniture or dining room sets before moving to keep our costs down, will that stuff cost so much more out there that it won't be worth it? Our thought process is to try to find an affordable place in a good/decent area (Not compton :doh:) to start out in, finding the best jobs we can (she's gonna transfer to another office out there) and go from there???

Neither of us has made a large move like this before and are looking for any advice from people who may have done this before....We don't have a ton of cash, but we have enough to pay first and security and to move. We are hoping to do this by sept/oct this year at the latest...

Cali is expensive, have family out there (LA), and a bunch of friends in San Fran. The state is essentially broke, so don't expect to get your unemployment beni's paid by CA.

I don't know what the rules are for NY, but I think once you leave the state your unemployment Benefits stop. I might be wrong on this though.

My 2 cents!

As long as I'm moving to state that is eligible for extended bene's as designated by the US gov't - my unemployment benefit's will follow; otherwise they will pay you only 2 additional weeks once you move.

California is on the list for extended bene's...All I have to do is notify NY State of my new address and register in Cali for bene's. The money for the extended benefits is all from the federal gov't and not the states...once I register in Cali, the benefits will continue to be released...or so the NYS dept of labor says...

As long as I'm moving to state that is eligible for extended bene's as designated by the US gov't - my unemployment benefit's will follow; otherwise they will pay you only 2 additional weeks once you move.

California is on the list for extended bene's...All I have to do is notify NY State of my new address and register in Cali for bene's. The money for the extended benefits is all from the federal gov't and not the states...once I register in Cali, the benefits will continue to be released...or so the NYS dept of labor says...

Don't move without a JOB!

Better you travel to a few interviews than commit to a move. What happens if you get to California and don't like it? You gonna move back?

I've moved long distance a number of times. Unless you are really attached to your stuff, you will probably be better off selling everything and taking the cash and buy new stuff when you get there. It doesn't sound like you have that much stuff. Your clothes and personal stuff can fit in your car(s). You then have $3500 + whatever you sell your stuff for to replace it all and still break even.

I'm moving to Iowa this summer from NE PA and I am shipping alot of stuff through UPS or something similar. Stuff like golf clubs and the bigger things are getting shipped out there and my car is going to get packed as full as it can. Much cheaper than renting a U-Haul or whatever.

Thanks for the advice...

What's really hard is that out there there are jobs that I'm qualified for, but the big requirement is that they want you to be local. So it's next to impossible to get an interview or anything unless you are out there. I contacted a few employment agencies out there and again they don't want anything to do with you until you are out there. Where I am now, I make more on unemployment than I could if I get an entry level job somewhere. I am even finding it hard to do that, as I am way overqualified and companies shy away from me becuase of that (especially in a smaller area).

I just really feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm just at the point where, it seems like I'm going to have to start over (at age 33) and I don't really want to do it here. It's tough to decide to toss my last doallars at moving and hoping to get lucky in a place that has jobs I'm qualified for and is hiring...but to go out there without anything lined up is risky/not smart...just at a loss on what to do.

Thanks for the advice...

What's really hard is that out there there are jobs that I'm qualified for, but the big requirement is that they want you to be local. So it's next to impossible to get an interview or anything unless you are out there. I contacted a few employment agencies out there and again they don't want anything to do with you until you are out there. Where I am now, I make more on unemployment than I could if I get an entry level job somewhere. I am even finding it hard to do that, as I am way overqualified and companies shy away from me becuase of that (especially in a smaller area).

I just really feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm just at the point where, it seems like I'm going to have to start over (at age 33) and I don't really want to do it here. It's tough to decide to toss my last doallars at moving and hoping to get lucky in a place that has jobs I'm qualified for and is hiring...but to go out there without anything lined up is risky/not smart...just at a loss on what to do.

What do you do that they insist on current residency? That seems odd. It's not like you are asking for moving expenses.

By the way, if you do this those expenses are 100% tax deductible.

What do you do that they insist on current residency? That seems odd. It's not like you are asking for moving expenses.

By the way, if you do this those expenses are 100% tax deductible.

I've attempted applying for jobs cross-country. Many employers won't even look at your resume if you're not local. And that was when the unemployment rate was lower. With more people out of work, they can find suitable employees amongst the pool in their area. If you're not hiring a high level executive position, why even bother with someone 1000 miles away? (I wasn't asking for moving expenses either.)