Demarius Thomas in RD2

Astrobot

Astro: I love your work buddy, but you HAVE to stop mocking Bulaga to the Bills. The Chiefs are going to take Bulaga, there are so many reasons (Pioli likes safe picks, the Ferenz-Patriots connection, the absurdity of taking Berry or any other safety at 5).

Coach, there are many mock drafts that have Bulaga going to the Bills. Astro has a lot of research that allows him to project Bulaga to the Bills. Maybe it happens maybe not but you think Astro should stop doing it because you are certain it won't happen?

More importantly we have to stop calling the Bills to take a WR in the second. Too many needs to fill, to much young talent on the team at that position already, and too many free agent WR's available to spend high draft picks on them. Our focus should be LT, NT, QB, LB - in that order.

Why do we "have to stop calling the Bills to take a WR in the second?" Are you afraid that the Bills braintrust visits this board and that Nix will be swayed into doing something that you think would be a bad move?

Look Leonidas, no one liked the Jairus Byrd pick last year but look how that turned out. Byrd could become a perennial Pro Bowler. And that sort of thing happens much more frequently when a team drafts the best player available instead of forcing themselves to draft players at a position of need. Of course we need to build the trenches and find a franchise quarterback. But why should a team take inferior players every time their pick comes up, simply to address needs? What if the players at those need positions at the time of the pick are bad values compared to players at positions of lesser need?

Thomas will not be there when the Bills pick in the second round. JMO

Now here is a sensible post. Just my opinion...

WR is one of the major needs.

Not like LT or NT is. You can win with mediocre WR's. You can't win with terrible blocking and no run defense.

Well, I just disagree with the "too much young talent on the team at that position" part of you post. I do agree that

LT, NT, QB and LB trump the need at WR because each of those positions is more important than WR.

Just the same, if there is a much higher rated WR available at pick 41 than at any of the positions listed above, then

I would be on-board with taking the WR - regardless of the QBs, LTs, etc on the roster.

Is the FO really down on Stevie J. and Frankenstein to spend a top draft pick on another WR? With all the talent out on the free agent market (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=1&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffa%3fpositionId%3d1), is it really wise to spend a coveted high draft choice on someone that relies on other positions we have not yet solidified (OL/QB) to get him the ball? Not to mention the fact that he is considered an "extremely raw" talent.

Why do we "have to stop calling the Bills to take a WR in the second?" Are you afraid that the Bills braintrust visits this board and that Nix will be swayed into doing something that you think would be a bad move?

LOL, fair point.

Look Leonidas, no one liked the Jairus Byrd pick last year but look how that turned out. Byrd could become a perennial Pro Bowler. And that sort of thing happens much more frequently when a team drafts the best player available instead of forcing themselves to draft players at a position of need. Of course we need to build the trenches and find a franchise quarterback. But why should a team take inferior players every time their pick comes up, simply to address needs? What if the players at those need positions at the time of the pick are bad values compared to players at positions of lesser need?

The Jairus Byrd pick I didn't understand at the time until I learned he was being converted to FS, and we really didn't have a FS. No, I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time, but at least I understood it after the fact. I agree you should stay as true to your board as possible, but with all the free agent talent at WR (even if it is aging talent), the WR's we drafted in '08 (Johnson and Hardy), and all the other needs on this team, I can't see going WR that early. I also come from the school of thought that a WR is one of the least important parts of your offense. Nothing happens without blocking - the offensive line is the most important IMO. Quarterback is the most important individual, obviously, as one poor link in an otherwise solid offensive line can be made up for - the same cannot be said at QB. That's especially true in this day and age with the proliferation of passing games. WR's and RB's are flashy, but are replaceable. New England won super bowls with no name WR's/RB's but solid lines. Again, just my opinion.

Astro, Love all your draft posts! I too am a draft Junkie. :doh:

But i would not be happy with this draft.

Alualu is not a NT IMHO. hes too small, and have not seen anyone saying he could work at being one. And I think a WR in rd2 would be a wasted pick. Would prefer the top 3 be Lineman or QB. MAYBE an OLB if the right guy fell. But I think drafting a WR in rd2 would be another wasted pick, when there is noone to throw him the ball, or anyone to block the other team for the guy throwing the ball. Too many needs to take a WR this early IMO.

More importantly we have to stop calling the Bills to take a WR in the second. Too many needs to fill, to much young talent on the team at that position already, and too many free agent WR's available to spend high draft picks on them. Our focus should be LT, NT, QB, LB - in that order.

AMEN !!!!!! :doh:

The Jairus Byrd pick I didn't understand at the time until I learned he was being converted to FS, and we really didn't have a FS. No, I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time, but at least I understood it after the fact. I agree you should stay as true to your board as possible, but with all the free agent talent at WR (even if it is aging talent), the WR's we drafted in '08 (Johnson and Hardy), and all the other needs on this team, I can't see going WR that early. I also come from the school of thought that a WR is one of the least important parts of your offense. Nothing happens without blocking - the offensive line is the most important IMO. Quarterback is the most important individual, obviously, as one poor link in an otherwise solid offensive line can be made up for - the same cannot be said at QB. That's especially true in this day and age with the proliferation of passing games. WR's and RB's are flashy, but are replaceable. New England won super bowls with no name WR's/RB's but solid lines. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with your take on the relative importance of positions. The Bills had TO and Evans last year and what good was it? Without a good offensive system with a good quarterback and decent blocking, wide receivers become inconsequential.

I'm not in favor of drafting a wide receiver in the 2nd round either but if Nix and co. had the conviction that D. Thomas is the next Calvin Johnson (and many people make that comparison), then you have to pause and consider the possibility of picking him. It really depends on who else is available at #41.

What if the Bills had a group of 5 players they wanted at #41 but all of those players were chosen and Thomas was by far the highest player left on their board? Anyways, you know all of this already.

Like you, I hope this worst-case scenario doesn't happen.

With regard to your comment about "young talent at the (wide receiver) position," which a few people have commented on, I understand your point. Hardy and Johnson may never make anything of their careers but this is a perfect time in the rebuilding process to see what they have, rather than stick them behind a veteran pass catcher and delay their growth, and the true evaluation of their talents, for yet another year.

Astro, I doubt D Thomas will be available in the 2nd round. Many consider him the best WR, over Bryant. I would not be surprised at all if we took him at 9. Chan knows him well, just as he knew Calvin Johnson. Not that I know much about him, but I've read that he compares favorably to CJ. I also wouldn't be surprised if we take Derrick Morgan, DE. Nix has had a lot of success drafting O Linemen in rounds 2 and 3. I'll bet that's the way we go if Williams and Okung are both gone at 9.

I fail to see why so many people are so high on a WR who cannot, nor has not ever been asked to run pass routes. Ga Tech's option offense called for Thomas to either run block or run a fly pattern.

:doh:

He has all the tools to be better than Dez or Tate, but it'll take at least a year to get seasoned in running professional routes.