I know I'm getting old.

Dr. Fong

It depends on the type of movie. I've always seen movie-going as a communal experience. There's something really cool that happens when you're in a packed theater and everyone is on the same wavelength. Comedies are funnier in packed houses, horror movies are scarier, action movies are cooler.

Absolutely. The right crowd can make for one hell of a good time. Probably the most entertaining time I ever had in a theater was at an incredibly awful movie that I didn't even want to see. A couple of my friends really wanted to see an opening night showing of Snakes on a Plane when it came out. It was worth every penny. There were so many drunks in that theater and obviously we weren't missing out on any fine cinema each time they yelled something out. I have no plans of ever watching that movie again since it was so awful, but man was that a good time.

Another one that always sticks out to me was the opening night showing I saw for the South Park movie. I love that movie and can watch it all the time, but that theater experience was a fun time.

And yes, the ticket prices are ubsurd. I used to go to a ton of movies around 10 years ago but now they've priced me out and I'm lucky to go to 5 a year.