I give the Academy credit

buckeyemike

He was never nominated for an Oscar. Yet, if you're my age (40), you grew up with his movies.

The Breakfast Club. Weird Science. Ferris Bueller. Sixteen Candles. Some Kind of Wonderful (which is underrated). Pretty in Pink. Vacation. Uncle Buck. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. And, Home Alone.

Tonight, John Hughes was saluted at the Oscars, with actors who were in his films. They even pointed out his family in the audience.

Two comments about those who appeared to salute Hughes:

1) Judd Nelson looks like a homeless guy. Maybe he is, for all I know.

2) Tell Anthony Michael Hall to lay off the HGH.

RIP, Mr. Hughes.

Not a bad show tonight....and I definitely agree about the Hughes tribute. Sad to see the guy go at such a young age :beer:

The only thing I cared about tonight was the best supporting actor Oscar going to its rightful recipient, and it did in fact find its way to the hands of the great Christoph Waltz. One of the best performances on film of all-time, IMO....it should have been a no-brainer, and it was. Hans Landa came alive in that film, and his portrayal will stick with me for many years to come. Congratulations, Christoph!

Also congrats to K.Bigelow....what an awesome film that was!

Look, I'm a fan of John Hughes. He's a huge influence on what I write and what I love about movies. But I found it strange that the Academy took extra time out to honor him.

Not that it wasn't deserved, but what does it say to the family, friends and coworkers of the other great artists that were lost this past year? Hughes gets a 10 minute salute, and the rest of the In Memorial crowd gets a few paltry seconds.

It was odd to me. I wanted to be moved by it, but I wasn't. This is a man who retreated from the spotlight because he was tired of Hollywood judging him. He even wrote his last movie under a pseudonym (Drillbit Taylor). The man was a genius and the last real voice of optimism outside of Pixar that the Industry had ... he'll be missed. But so too will Karl Malden, Roy Scheider, Patrick Swayze and on and on.

Not a bad show tonight....and I definitely agree about the Hughes tribute. Sad to see the guy go at such a young age :wallbash:

The only thing I cared about tonight was the best supporting actor Oscar going to its rightful recipient, and it did in fact find its way to the hands of the great Christoph Waltz. One of the best performances on film of all-time, IMO....it should have been a no-brainer, and it was. Hans Landa came alive in that film, and his portrayal will stick with me for many years to come. Congratulations, Christoph!

Also congrats to K.Bigelow....what an awesome film that was!

Agreed, I thought Christoph Waltz was awesome in the film and a well deserved Oscar. The only movies I've seen out of the best picture nominees were Hurt Locker, District 9, and Inglourious Basterds. To be honest, I thought the Hurt Locker was a good movie and better than the other two, but after I left the theatre I wasn't thinking Oscar worthy. It seemed like a very weak class of Best Pictures which I guess is why it won, don't get me wrong it was very enjoyable but I guess I wasn't completely wowed by it. I'm just glad Avatar didn't win.

Agreed, I thought Christoph Waltz was awesome in the film and a well deserved Oscar. The only movies I've seen out of the best picture nominees were Hurt Locker, District 9, and Inglourious Basterds. To be honest, I thought the Hurt Locker was a good movie and better than the other two, but after I left the theatre I wasn't thinking Oscar worthy. It seemed like a very weak class of Best Pictures which I guess is why it won, don't get me wrong it was very enjoyable but I guess I wasn't completely wowed by it. I'm just glad Avatar didn't win.

If Avatar would have won best pic, I would have vomited...and I actually enjoyed the film. I know what you're saying about Hurt Locker....I wasn't blown away by it either, but I don't know of anything else this year that I felt was more deserving. Hell, I'm still upset about friggin' Shakespear in Love beating out Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful....but anyway, I agree...the group of nominees was good, but not stellar by any means.