Gailey plays cards close to chest

BillsRUs

If you're serious, that is the dumbest football related thing I ever heard. If you're sarcastic, sorry, it sounds like you're serious.

does that really scream serious to you? No one game is not enough to judge a player on, but for the vick suckers, and donovan disciples, & trent troops its clear that after one game we should bury him on the bench or cut him. IDK if the kid can be a viable player or not, but to say without a doubt he cant play after 1 game, behind that line, its borderline retarded.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.

What kind of defense do the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints play?

I don't think anyone would argue that either the Colts or the Saints reached the Superbowl because of dominating defensive play.

# On the possibility of starting QB Brian Brohm: "I don't try to fit guys into what I want to do," said Gailey. "We'll adapt to what he does best." He did say the Bills are looking at numerous options to improve a lingering problem position.

Best quote I've heard from a coach in decades. I hope it's true though. The Bills are what the Bills are right now, use the talent and make the best of it.

It was amazing to me to see this Bills team last year go to a hurry up offense. What in the world? Just shows the ineptitude of the Bills front office. Anyways, back to 2010!

# On the possibility of starting QB Brian Brohm: "I don't try to fit guys into what I want to do," said Gailey. "We'll adapt to what he does best." He did say the Bills are looking at numerous options to improve a lingering problem position.

Does this mean Brohm is the starter for 2010? Kind of sounds like it. Hopefully he picks one of the "numerous options to improve a lingering problem position" instead.

# He admitted it could be tough to find a quality nose tackle as the team switches to a 3-4 defense. "While we're all looking for that prototypical nose guy," Gailey said, "if you can't get it, you adjust."

Does this mean we don't run 3-4 if we don't find a good NT? I've heard him say this before. I'm not convinced 3-4 is a for sure thing. I kindof hope it's not.

What about reports that Trent has a 50/50 chance of starting?? Sounds to me like its going to be a cut throat camp+preseason. No I'm not a Trent fanboy or anything.

We're going ot be running a 4-3 / 3-4 hybrid. Also if we don't get that prototypical NT i think we're going to plug marcus stroud in there and keep our fingers crossed.

From all of CG's interviews, I get the feeling that they haven't really gotten around to appraising everyone on this roster yet. Don't think there was enough time. They are now concentrating on what they can get through the FA and appraising the talent on the draft.

They have an idea of what they want and the direction they want to go in, hence those 7 cuts (failed physicals didn't help). Sounds to me like they will bring in guys based on immediate needs and then let everyone fight it out for starting positions come preseason and hope everything falls into place.

Lynch is gone. The way we will 'use him' is to trade him and get some additional draft picks to better this team.

Different coaches have different eyes. Gailey MAY end up liking Lynch more, or at least enough from him being gone as you're so sure of.

Ah so you don't want us to switch to the Defense that year in and year out is tougher than hell to deal with? The same type of Defense we went to 4 superbowls with? Yeah....

And lost 3 out of the 4 to teams that ran a 4-3. So what is your point exactly? What makes the 3-4 "tougher than hell" to deal with is personnel not the scheme itself.

LMAO not on this roster he isn't. Jackson clearly unseated him.

There is a reason Marshawn Lynch went to Cal (D-1) and was drafted in the 1st round...and earned a pro-bowl bid.

Can't say much of the same about Fred Jackson, can ya?

Marshawn Lynch is the better all-around running back. And he is what, like 6 years younger?

Fred Jackson is a great 3rd down back/backup...he has nothing to offer the FUTURE of this franchise.

Lynch is gone. The way we will 'use him' is to trade him and get some additional draft picks to better this team.

I've been wrong before but that doesn't change my opinion that in this case, you are very wrong.

Firstly, if you saw the Gailey interview from the combine which is linked on the Bills website, it's quite clear that he thinks very highly of Lynch as a football player. In fact he said emphatically and convincingly that "Marshawn Lynch is a very good football player." He talked about all the things he brings to the table and stated that he doesn't think that one back can stand up to the pounding of a regular season.

You could argue that Gailey was pumping up Lynch's trade value but I saw it as Gailey knowing that Lynch has very little trade value right now and knows the best thing to do right now is to treat Lynch as an asset to be used in 2010 and talk up his role on the team.

Unfortunately you wont get much for Lynch after the season and offseason he had last year. He is one bad night away from being suspended for a full season and he didnt do anything on the field this year to warrant taking his starting job back. With quality veterans like LT, Westbrook, Taylor available in FA I dont think anyone would give up much in a trade for Lynch. The guys I just mentioned have proven to get it done on the field and off the field they are quality stand up guys.

I agree completely.

Good post. I doubt Lynch will be going anywhere even if we wanted to get rid of him. As long as he stays out of trouble this year I expect him to do better this season. Gailey will find a way to utilize both Jackson and Lynch effectively.

Yep. Gailey mentioned his Pro Bowl, his ability to catch the ball, his power running dimension...sounds like Gailey is excited to figure out a way to make Lynch as effective as possible.

What would you expect a HC to say about an pretty good but seemingly expendable player? That he sucks?

lol. Obviously not. But the fact that he talks about this being a two back league together with lynch being good RB coupled with the fact that we have a million other holes and not enough draft picks means that it is unlikely that lynch will be traded...at least this year.