The Overtime rule needs to be changed

This show says that overtime should be that of the college rules. I honestly do not agree with the folks on the show. I believe that if they were to change the overtime rule, it needs to be like hockey, perhaps a 8 minute quarter and whatever happens happens.

This is an interesting topic, so let me know what you think.

This show says that overtime should be that of the college rules. I honestly do not agree with the folks on the show. I believe that if they were to change the overtime rule, it needs to be like hockey, perhaps a 8 minute quarter and whatever happens happens.

Everyone has a take on this issue, and all are entitled to their opinion, but I am personally fine with OT as it stands.

I hate the college rules.

Hockey is sudden death overtime, just like the NFL.

I like the idea of a 7 minute quarter and if it's still tied after that, it's a tie game.

Everyone has a take on this issue, and all are entitled to their opinion, but I am personally fine with OT as it stands.

I hate the college rules.

From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage.

So what you're saying is you're fine with an OT system that SIGNIFICANTLY skews the outcome of a hard fought overtime NFL game based on a coin toss. On pure luck from a coin flip? That you prefer this old system that places luck over skill?

Well, we've ALWAYS done it this way so Im fine with it. I hate that mentality. Change the goddamn OT rules, make them more exciting and fair at the same time.

The dreaded 'lose-the-coin-toss-never-touch-the-ball' scenario happened in 37 out of the 124 OT periods, or about 30% of all overtime games. That's too often in my opinion. The NFL's current sudden death format can be exciting and lead to quick resolutions. But if almost 1 out of 3 games is over before the unlucky coin toss loser even touches the ball, a lot of teams and fans are going to be left with a bitter and empty feeling.

As they should......