February Positional Needs:

Astrobot

Excellent post. :unsure:

I was a strong proponent of the LT, QB or QB, LT strategy for the Bills this year. But after Gailey announced that we were switching to the 3-4, I'm in agreement that the DT/DE scenario is more rational. DE, Derrick Morgan would be an awesome selection at #9. He could practically start immediately.

We could draft LT/ILB in the second round and QB in the third and still get a really good QB prospect. Mel Kiper and the other pundits will probably stroke out if we don't select a LT by our second pick. But I believe drafting an ILB at this position would pay real dividends to lay the foundation of the new 3-4. Not paying and then trading Peters was stupid.

This second scenario is down the crapper if by some miracle Bradford drops to #9. I don't feel like you can pass him up.

So, you'd be happy with, say,

1-Dan Williams DT34 Tennessee

2-Eric Norwood ILB South Carolina (or Brandon Spikes)

3-Rodger Saffold OT Indiana (or Tony Pike)

4-Jarrett Brown QB West Virginia

if there was no QB named Clausen/Bradford available at 9?

What about OLB? The Bills 3/4 was great in large due to Bryce Paup. Between him and Bruce there a very strong pass rush. Imo, McClain could flourish in this role ala DeMarcus Ware. Or, he could do anything else they want.

Every season I scream for a first round offensive lineman, and I wouldn't be upset if we took one in April, but if McClain should happen to fall to us I see no choice; they should snatch him right up.

I checked with the position

At first I thought, "no way McClain falls to us". Then I looked at the positional needs of the other correspondents above our pick. They update these weekly: Here

Ari, Cinn, Balt, Denv, KC, Mia, NE, NYG, Philly, StL all want a ILB at a P1, P2 or P3 level this year.

However, only 2 draft above us---Rams and Chiefs.

StL will likely take Suh (although DE is their P1 Need). KC has P3 (they aren't putting P1 or P2 for anyone) for

OG, OC, DT, SS, and ILB. Therefore, their likely available choices at pick 7 (besides Clausen):

OG Bryan Bulaga (#10 on our board) or Mike Iupati (#15 on our board)--could rise up thru combine results

OC Not Yet; Pouncey is #40 on our board

DT Suh or McCoy, but we have them going 1 & 2; maybe Dan Williams but he's #17 on our board

SS Eric Berry (#2 on our board) , but he's more of a free safety and we have him going to TBay at #3

ILB Rolando McClain (#6 on our board)

So hold out hope that Bulaga or Iupati have a dynamite combine, or that Eric Berry falls. :unsure:

Like Coach Dickerson used to say, "Gotta go big" in the early rounds. That means two of either an OT, NT or LB in first two rounds. No QB worth taking there anyway. Buffalo needs some beef.

Buddy Nix has said he wants "tough big nasties". My "All-Beef Draft" would send Cincinnati Roscoe and Donte (both P2 needs of theirs) in return for a RD3 #84. We keep Brohm, sign Pennington, and keep Fitz. I'm assuming 1 compensatory pick, a 7th at worst.

RD1-Brian Bulaga LT - likely the best run-blocker

RD2-Rennie Curran OLB - #1 3-4 OLB by NFLDraftScout 6'4" 248 best built, fastest with 'Spoon

RD3-Jon Asamoah OG - you want beef? 6'6" 325... held his own vs Odrick this year

RD3 -Dexter McCluster WR - Roscoe's replacement will be multifunctional; Gailey will use him right

RD4- O'Brien Schofield OLB - Wishing here that the defensive MVP slides to here.

RD5-Brandon Carter OG - Carter's the "Big Nasty" Nix is talking about. Incognito and Carter can be roomies

RD6- Ben Tate RB - Bruiser is the straight ahead guy who won't go down. Bettis.

RD7- Reggie Carter ILB - UCLA's leading tackler slides to here due to injury

RD7- Lee Ziemba OG - Handled Wootton easily in the Outback Bowl

Buddy Nix has said he wants "tough big nasties". My "All-Beef Draft" would send Cincinnati Roscoe and Donte (both P2 needs of theirs) in return for a RD3 #84. We keep Brohm, sign Pennington, and keep Fitz. I'm assuming 1 compensatory pick, a 7th at worst.

RD2-Rennie Curran OLB - #1 3-4 OLB by NFLDraftScout 6'4" 248 best built, fastest with 'Spoon

RD3-Jon Asamoah OG - you want beef? 6'6" 325... held his own vs Odrick this year

RD3 -Dexter McCluster WR - Roscoe's replacement will be multifunctional; Gailey will use him right

RD4- O'Brien Schofield OLB - Wishing here that the defensive MVP slides to here.

RD5-Brandon Carter OG - Carter's the "Big Nasty" Nix is talking about. Incognito and Carter can be roomies

Astro you know I love ya man but your draft just sunk our defense. You can NOT run a 3-4 defense without a NT. It always starts with the NT.

Astro you know I love ya man but your draft just sunk our defense. You can NOT run a 3-4 defense without a NT. It always starts with the NT.

I knew I forgot something LOL!

This is a terrible draft to grab a Nose Tackle. Here's the bad news. This is a list of ALL the NT's in this draft, and their rank on our big board. You've prbably heard of 2; I've heard of 5:

RD1. Dan Williams, Tennessee (#17 on our big board)

RD2. Terrence Cody, Alabama (#49 on our big board) --- RD2: Pat Williams II...You just hope the trainer can help.

RD6. Linval Joseph (#194)

RD7. Al Woods LSU (#287)

FA. Boo Robinson (#324)

FA. Travis Ivey (#329)

FA. Martin Tevaseu (#345)

FA. Jaron Baston (#355)

The moral of this story is we have to use Stroud/Kyle Williams, or go get Wilfork.

I knew I forgot something LOL!

This is a terrible draft to grab a Nose Tackle. Here's the bad news. This is a list of ALL the NT's in this draft, and their rank on our big board. You've prbably heard of 2; I've heard of 5:

RD1. Dan Williams, Tennessee (#17 on our big board)

RD2. Terrence Cody, Alabama (#49 on our big board) --- RD2: Pat Williams II...You just hope the trainer can help.

RD43. Linval Joseph (#194)

RD5. Al Woods LSU (#287)

RD7/FA. Boo Robinson (#324)

RD7/FA. Travis Ivey (#329)

RD7/FA. Martin Tevaseu (#345)

RD7/FA. Jaron Baston (#355)

The moral of this story is we have to use Stroud/Kyle Williams, or go get Wilfork.

You forgot about Cam Thomas (awesome senior bowl) and Torrel Troup

You forgot about Cam Thomas (awesome senior bowl) and Torrel Troup

Totally missed them (must stop preparing for the Super Bowl).

We have Cam Thomas #99, so available in 4th Round,

and Torrel Troup a UDFA.

Given those choices, though, I'd still go FA.

RD2-Rennie Curran OLB - #1 3-4 OLB by NFLDraftScout 6'4" 248 best built, fastest with Curran and 'Spoon

RD7- Take your favorite backup NT here

Bills have a lot of OL that finished the season on IR and are FAs. I'd like to see who they bring any back to help figure out the draft. Assuming a couple stick and are healthy, that should cover interior Oline and RT. So yes LT needs to be filled in the draft. Same thing with LB I think if they asses the IRs and FAs the only need will be another inside LB. So that is high on the list too. If Bills go to a true 3-4 defense then yes they need a NT, a big lug of a man mountain (some would call a 2 down guy). The roster has quite a few who could play DE in a 3-4, or penetrate on 3rd down. As the run defense was so bad the NT may be the greatest need, but not necessarily the first pick.

I would look for a QB FA as a gap fill to see if Brohm has it. The team personality would be run based O, 2 good backs behind a line that opens holes. An aggressive D that allows the ball hawking secondary to or blitzing OLBs to make plays.

So all Brohm does the beginning of the year is handoff, let Freddie Wildcat, and only pitch a few down field after lulling them with run run run.

So first 3 picks: LT , ILB, NT the order of best value at the time.

Keep Edwards, Keep Lynch, try to keep Owens. Until they get knocked off the squad by better talent. AKA another Freddie Jackson / low round pick or FA pickup.

As long as we get a DT/LB/OT in our first three picks I will be happy. Take the BPA each round based on those three picks and how the rest of the draft is going at that point.

I'm killing time until the Syracuse game at 2 EST, and this looks like a good game, so here goes:

Best available at our pick, so not Suh, McCoy, Okung in Round 1!

(DT's are 3-4 Nose Tackles, not 4-3 DT's)

Round 1

Best DT--Dan Williams, Tennessee (#17 on our board)

Best LB--Rolando McClain ILB (#6 on our board)

Best O-Line--Bryan Bulaga (#10)

Round 2

Best DT--Terrence Cody, Alabama (#49) with Jenny Craig

Best LB--(tie IMHO) Brandon Spikes (#39), Eric Norwood (#84)

Best O-Line--Jon Asamoah (#58) --but he's likely a Guard--so Selvish Capers LT (#97)

Round 3

Best DT--Cam Thomas (#102)

Best LB--Sean Lee (#77)or George Selvie (#103)

Best O-Line--(tie IMHO) Rodger Saffold LT (#94), or Jared Veldheer LT (#106)

Looking at it this way, I like the LT-LB-DT option slightly more than the DT-LB-LT option.

I hate the choices for LB in RD3. If we haven't picked at LB by RD3, it'll be Rennie Curran / Willie Young in Round 4.

I think that NT has moved to one of the top 3 needs. I think you have to see how the picks fall as the Bills definitely

need LT, NT, QB, LB and WR help (assuming Owens and Reed are gone) . I am in the camp that thinks that they

should build the lines (including LB) before spending high picks on a QB. This team is not ready to compete for the playoffs next year and I think they should build the rest of the team and aim for a QB next year.

true. unless there were a sure fire QB there--which there isnt.

Bills have a lot of OL that finished the season on IR and are FAs. I'd like to see who they bring any back to help figure out the draft. Assuming a couple stick and are healthy, that should cover interior Oline and RT. So yes LT needs to be filled in the draft. Same thing with LB I think if they asses the IRs and FAs the only need will be another inside LB. So that is high on the list too. If Bills go to a true 3-4 defense then yes they need a NT, a big lug of a man mountain (some would call a 2 down guy). The roster has quite a few who could play DE in a 3-4, or penetrate on 3rd down. As the run defense was so bad the NT may be the greatest need, but not necessarily the first pick.

I would look for a QB FA as a gap fill to see if Brohm has it. The team personality would be run based O, 2 good backs behind a line that opens holes. An aggressive D that allows the ball hawking secondary to or blitzing OLBs to make plays.

So all Brohm does the beginning of the year is handoff, let Freddie Wildcat, and only pitch a few down field after lulling them with run run run.

So first 3 picks: LT , ILB, NT the order of best value at the time.

Keep Edwards, Keep Lynch, try to keep Owens. Until they get knocked off the squad by better talent. AKA another Freddie Jackson / low round pick or FA pickup.

Draft Post of the Month. Outstanding :( !

A low round pick at RB could be Ben Tate or LeGarrette Blount in the 4th, or how about Buffalo's Randy Starks in RD5?

I have been calling for him for a couple months now...and I will continue to call for him until he is a Buffalo Bill!

I love the kid. Think he will be very good, at several positions. We NEED a player like this! Look at what the Jets do with Brad Smith...I would love to have say, if not McCluster, maybe Jarrett Brown, Armanti Edwards, Levi Brown, Ryan Perrilloux or Patrick Pinkney? A player who will not cut it as a QB in the NFL, but could be used as a "Slash" player as a Wildcat QB/RB, a WR, KR/PR...Brad Smith!

Is Georgia Tech's scrambling QB coming out this year? That would be a reasonable option for us.

Hey Robot? Who are the best scramblers this year, who won't be a QB in the NFL...who is this year's Brad Smith???