James Hardy and Shawn Nelson

While bringing in free agents is a great way to build a team, i also believe that the bills have not properly assessed some of the rookie players they have drafted in the last two years. Among the top of my list of players that I as a bills fan desire to see are Hardy and Nelson. The bills arent known for having extremely tall receivers until the TO experiment failed in Buffalo. Hardy was selected with the 41st overall pick out of Indiana in the 08 draft. He is 6'5'' and 220 lbs and is the tallest wide receiver ever drafted by the bills. He has tremendous athleic abilty and probably would have been more succesful than TO this past year if he hadnt been injured. Nelson is another tall receiver at Tight End. He was taken with the 121st pick in the 09 draft out of southern miss. He stands at 6'5'' and 240 lbs. Also has tremendous athletic ability.

I understand that signing free agents who have already proven themselves in the NFL is a much lower risk move and is much more appealing to a lot of owners. However it is not always practical and more importantly affordable. There MUST be a healthy balance between drafted and developed players along with free agent signings. While it would be wonderful to bring in a Chris Chambers or an Anquan Boldin, it also would be great to develop some young guys and raise their stock over the years. I realize that there are lots of drafted players that prove to be busts, especially in bills recent history. I would simply like to see James Hardy and Shawn Nelson a bit this year to make an accurate assesment. These Kids have a ton of potential. :wallbash:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While bringing in free agents is a great way to build a team, i also believe that the bills have not properly assessed some of the rookie players they have drafted in the last two years. Among the top of my list of players that I as a bills fan desire to see are Hardy and Nelson. The bills arent known for having extremely tall receivers until the TO experiment failed in Buffalo. Hardy was selected with the 41st overall pick out of Indiana in the 08 draft. He is 6'5'' and 220 lbs and is the tallest wide receiver ever drafted by the bills. He has tremendous athleic abilty and probably would have been more succesful than TO this past year. Nelson is another tall receiver at Tight End. He was taken with the 121st pick in the 09 draft out of southern miss. He stands at 6'5'' and 240 lbs. Also has tremendous athletic ability.

I understand that signing free agents who have already proven themselves in the NFL is a much lower risk move and is much more appealing to a lot of owners. However it is not always practical and more importantly affordable. There MUST be a healthy balance between drafted and developed players along with free agent signings. While it would be wonderful to bring in a Chris Chambers or an Anquan Boldin, it also would be great to develop some young guys and raise their stock over the years. I realize that there are lots of drafted players that prove to be busts, especially in bills recent history. I would simply like to see James Hardy and Shawn Nelson a bit this year to make an accurate assesment. These Kids have a ton of potential. :wallbash:

Agreed. I actually thought Hardy pulled a Christian Okoye .....and simply disappeared into nowhere. I refrence that player because news was minimal when he went away. Its like we say Hardy catch a "Jump-Ball" touchdown (which is exactly what we drafted him to do) and that was it. He was put away in a cupbord or something.

I blame all of this on the past administration and ownership (which by the way is the worst run business...ive ever seen, they simply have a product that people want which keeps them out of the red). As I blame much of JP Losmans and Trent Edwards failures on them also. This team has been, for soooooo long, been a place that completely destroys careers, both new and veteran, that I am shocked ANYONE plays here, or coaches here. Its an awful, awful, awful organization to work for, looking from the outside. In fact, I would fake injury and do just about anything to not have to play here.

which is what I believe happened with both of these players...or they "fell through the cracks" which is completely possibly is this crap organization.

Agreed. I actually thought Hardy pulled a Christian Okoye .....and simply disappeared into nowhere. I refrence that player because news was minimal when he went away. Its like we say Hardy catch a "Jump-Ball" touchdown (which is exactly what we drafted him to do) and that was it. He was put away in a cupbord or something.

I blame all of this on the past administration and ownership (which by the way is the worst run business...ive ever seen, they simply have a product that people want which keeps them out of the red). As I blame much of JP Losmans and Trent Edwards failures on them also. This team has been, for soooooo long, been a place that completely destroys careers, both new and veteran, that I am shocked ANYONE plays here, or coaches here. Its an awful, awful, awful organization to work for, looking from the outside. In fact, I would fake injury and do just about anything to not have to play here.

which is what I believe happened with both of these players...or they "fell through the cracks" which is completely possibly is this crap organization.

Hardy disappeared after that "jump ball" against the Jags because he had a series of very ineffective games with a lot of costly penalties and mistakes (ie running wrong routes). The team decided he was no ready. I agree, he was going to be a project when they drafted him. As for why he has remained in the cupboard...he tore his ACL last year and wasn't even added to the active roster from the "PUP" list until after mid-season. He still had a ton of potential.

Hardy disappeared after that "jump ball" against the Jags because he had a series of very ineffective games with a lot of costly penalties and mistakes (ie running wrong routes). The team decided he was no ready. I agree, he was going to be a project when they drafted him. As for why he has remained in the cupboard...he tore his ACL last year and wasn't even added to the active roster from the "PUP" list until after mid-season. He still had a ton of potential.

Interesting..didnt know that.

Ive never missed any games, ever really....and I can not recall him being on the field, dressed on the sidelines, etc EVER after that Jump-Ball. That is why I was curious.

...and how the hell did he tear his ACL? in practice? I mean, I literally dont think I have ever heard or seen anything about him after he caught that ball.

I thought it was just SOP for the Bills.....who more and more I am actually starting to hate, and almost dont even care if the franchise is moved.

Ive never missed any games, ever really....and I can not recall him being on the field, dressed on the sidelines, etc EVER after that Jump-Ball. That is why I was curious.

...and how the hell did he tear his ACL? in practice? I mean, I literally dont think I have ever heard or seen anything about him after he caught that ball.

I thought it was just SOP for the Bills.....who more and more I am actually starting to hate, and almost dont even care if the franchise is moved.

He tore his ACL in week 15 of last year against the NYJ. It appears he started 3 games throughout the year last year. Here is a link:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...ayerpage/516911

Nelson could/should develop into major stud.

I am very bearish on Hardy, though; when he did play, I seem to recall he suffered from a case of the drops

Nelson has the most potential IMO. This guy looks like a real gamer. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by his block (he was merely bad instead of disasterous) but he has proven already that he can be a major asset in the passing game.

It is difficult to judge how good a receiver is when the OL and the caliber of qb play is dismal. Is Evans a good receiver or maybe a very good receiver? How do you judge his talents when the most critical position on offense and the team, qb, is below par, and has been for more than a decade.

I understand your frustration with the organization. It is an embarrassment. How does it happen that a franchise can't even assemble a competent OL and have an average franchise qb in more than a decade? It is not too difficult to understand when you realize that the owner is a buffoon and he had put together a dysfunctional organizational structure which made it impossible to compete. However, with Nix presiding over the football operations there is a glimmer of hope that some intelligence will be administered in making football decisions.

I agree Hardy, Nelson AND Stevie J. could be effective receivers...but, we need to first establish that we are a POWER RUNNING team. We need to build the exterior of our offensive line, as I believe we are set in the middle with Levitre-Wood-Incognito...

...and we need a QB that can get these guys the ball. Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm show some potential, but I think it is time we start anew with Chan and Buddy's guy. Vick, Clausen, Tebow, Thigpen...whomever it is, I am instilling my trust and devotion to this "new" regime.

Until they prove their are not worth it, or are worse than the past 3 regimes...here's to the "NEW" Bills... :wallbash:

...the TO experiment failed in Buffalo.

I see this a lot on here. Did the experiment fail or was he failed by our offense/QBs? Nobody's down on Lee Evans even though he had a down year as well.

TO

Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1stD TD

55 829 51.8 15.1 98 4.1 33 5

LE

44 612 38.3 13.9 50 2.2 27 7

The same argument you're using to defend Hardy and Nelson (poor QBs and offense) could be used for TO. WR is the position that is most dependent on the success of another (the QB). I'm not sure they should try to resign him but to say he failed is wrong IMHO.

Please tell me that's not you in the pink blazer... :wallbash:

While bringing in free agents is a great way to build a team, i also believe that the bills have not properly assessed some of the rookie players they have drafted in the last two years. Among the top of my list of players that I as a bills fan desire to see are Hardy and Nelson. The bills arent known for having extremely tall receivers until the TO experiment failed in Buffalo. Hardy was selected with the 41st overall pick out of Indiana in the 08 draft. He is 6'5'' and 220 lbs and is the tallest wide receiver ever drafted by the bills. He has tremendous athleic abilty and probably would have been more succesful than TO this past year if he hadnt been injured. Nelson is another tall receiver at Tight End. He was taken with the 121st pick in the 09 draft out of southern miss. He stands at 6'5'' and 240 lbs. Also has tremendous athletic ability.

I agree that it seems these two have a ton of potential. Hardy was injured though. For this upcoming season he should be given a good look and if he shows what we think he has in the way of talent, should be given the opportunity to start. Nelson should get a good look too, but I suspect we might be looking at tight ends in free agency, and Nelson is going to have to earn starting time against some stiff competition. Hopefully the two of them will be productive.

a bold statement

The rules today are so biased towards the pass game. A lower round draftee TE or WR better show me something soon - I'll give 'em a year for injury and another camp. But that's it. Potential means zip.

There are always fresh speed, hands, size in the next draft. I'm not going to get into the biz of developing receivers at cost of my roster spots.