2010 Shrine Game Prospects to watch

Shrine Game Prospects to Watch 2010

While this game is not loaded with talent, there are still a few prospects to keep an eye on this week.

QB:

John Skelton – Fordham: Physically imposing prospect at 6’5” 250+ lbs has one of the strongest arms in college football. He’s also a decent runner for his size, but his accuracy still needs some work. He currently is projecting as a 6th round through Undrafted pick, but a solid showing at the Shrine Game and the combine might push him as high as 3rd round.

Max Hall – BYU: Nearly the polar opposite of Skelton, Hall is an under-sized QB prospect at 6’ 200lbs. Hall has great short to mid-range accuracy, but lacks the arm strength for the deep ball. Best suited for a West Coast style offense that relies on a smart, accurate passer. He is also projected to be a 6th round through Undrafted pick.

RB:

Javarris James – Miami: While his totals have trailed off since his freshman year, James’ production has stayed the same. 6 TD’s this year in a limited role for James, who had a breakout performance against Oklahoma with 15 carries for 150 yards. While not a marquee name, Javarris could be a sleeper pick for a team late in this draft.

WR:

Kerry Meier – Kansas: A big wide out, Meier is 6’3” 223lbs in the mold of Terrell Owens. However, like bigger receivers, he lacks elite speed. Meier has put up solid numbers his final 2 years at Kansas with over 2000 yards receiving and 16 TDs. He’s willing to make the downfield blocks necessary and is a team leader type player. Currently listed as the 20th WR, Meier projects as a mid to late round pick in this draft.

Blair White – Michigan State: Former walk-on Blair White is a great example of what hard work and dedication to your trade will get you. Finding a way into the starting lineup, Blair has an amazing senior season with 70 receptions for 990 yards and 9 TDs. A good showing in the Shrine game and at the Combine could have Blair sneaking up into the second round in the 2010 draft, but right now he is projected at a 4th round pick.

TE:

Dennis Pitta – BYU: Paired with his former QB Max Hall, Pitta is looking to improve is draft stock and show he has the talent to play at the next level. Listed as the 7th overall TE by Scouts, Inc Pitta is projecting to be a mid round steal. At 6’4” 246lbs, Pitta is a pure receiving TE with good speed and size, along with a strong work ethic and a blood and guts attitude. Right now, Pitta is looking like a 4th round pick.

Alejandro “Ali” Villenueva – Army: Another TE turning OT, Villenueva stands in at 6’10” 283lbs. Villenueva has already stated that he can pack on the weight necessary to play Tackle in the NFL. However, the Army does not allow cadets to enter the NFL until 2 years after graduation so Villenueva is unlikely to be drafted this year. However, he will still be an intriguing prospect to watch and should be a name on scouting lists for the 2012 OTAs.

OT:

Kyle Calloway – Iowa: The other side of the bookends in Iowa opposite Brian Bulaga, Calloway stands in at 6’6” and 320lbs. All conference honorable mention this year, Calloway is an athletic tackle who projects to be a good starting tackle in the NFL. Character may be a concern though with an offseason arrest for drunk driving on a moped. You read that right.

OG:

Sergio Render – Virginia Tech: Tough road-grader type of run blocker who started nearly every game for VT. Smart blocker who stays hope to help line mates with stunts and blitzes. Looks to be a mid round selection and should be the 6th guard off the board.

DE:

Greg Hardy – Ole Miss: Hardy needs a good showing here to prove he has the drive to play in the NFL. Notorious for being an unmotivated player, Hardy has the talent to be a great DE. At 6’4” 261lbs Hardy has prototypical attributes of a starting DE. Rated the 6th overall end in the draft, Hardy will need a real mentor to get the most out of his abilities.

LB:

Mike McLaughlin – Boston College: A true leader and gritty MLB, McLaughlin is coming off of March Achilles Tendon surgery and is still on the road to recovery. While he currently projects to go undrafted, he could still provide depth and leadership to a defense as long as he heals correctly.

DB:

Alterraun Verner – UCLA: Ballhawking CB for Rick Neuheisal’s Bruins, Verner looks to be hidden in the current draft class listed as the number 15 CB by Scouts Inc. The 1st team All Pac10 corner pulled down 5 picks this year. 4.5 40 speed shows average NFL speed and maybe a good Nickel/FS hybrid type player at the NFL level. Should be a 4-6th round pick in this years draft.

Kam Chancellor – Virginia Tech: Big, strong, and fast would be the best way to describe Chancellor. The former Hokies QB was moved to CB/Saftey rover in 2007 and hasn’t looked back. Third on the team in tackles in 2009, Chancellor is looking to hit his way onto an NFL roster. A 3-5th round prospect, Chancellor would be a great addition to a team needing a SS prospect to groom.

Any prospects you guys think that I missed that should be paid attention to?

Giving a personal bump just to break up the multiple threads of bashing and complaining

WVU everytime I see ur avatar I sing that song "fat bottom girls..."

Anyway, great list. I will go through the rest of the roster and get back to you with my thoughts.

Shrine Game Prospects to Watch 2010

OT:

Kyle Calloway – Iowa: The other side of the bookends in Iowa opposite Brian Bulaga, Calloway stands in at 6’6” and 320lbs. All conference honorable mention this year, Calloway is an athletic tackle who projects to be a good starting tackle in the NFL. Character may be a concern though with an offseason arrest for drunk driving on a moped. You read that right.

Any prospects you guys think that I missed that should be paid attention to?

WI's LB Schofield O'Brien.

IW's Calloway - just ask PSU's Coach Paterno... :unsure:

Giving a personal bump just to break up the multiple threads of bashing and complaining

Thanks for bumping this up, and yes it does relieve the bashing.

QB Todd Reesing Kansas

I know he's undersized, but after watching him play the past few years, I think he is the sleeper QB in this years draft.

He'll need time to develop, but I think he's worth a 5th maybe even a 4th round pick. He may not have the best arm, but I like his poise, leadership and accuracy.

What do you think?

WI's LB Schofield O'Brien.

IW's Calloway - just ask PSU's Coach Paterno... :unsure:

Solid sleeper LB/DE tweener. Scouts Inc has him listed as a DE, but he'll probably project better as an OLB. 6'2" 242 sounds a lot like Maybin without the hype. Had 10 sacks and 22.5 TFL this year. I'd say he's a 4th rounder right now. A good combine and you may see him shoot up the boards.

As for Reesing, I think he'd be a good late round pick for a team looking for a wildcat type QB. Reesing reminds me a lot of Seneca Wallace. He'll find his way onto a roster, but I don't think he'll be picked before the 5th round. Truthfully, he's very likely to go undrafted at this point, which for him is probably good because he'll have a chance to get picked up a team that can utilize his talents.

Schofield sounds like he's making the adjustment to linebacker seamlessly in a week under Romeo Crennel (East Team Coach) If this is the case, with a good game day tomorrow, you may see him jump up into the 2nd round area.

Max Hall looked like a dome or fairweather team QB has he has had a lot of trouble throwing with the windy conditions. Definitely not helping is draft prospects.

QB Matt Nichols of Eastern Washington is starting to impress Marty Schottenheimer (West Team Coach) not only with his size (6'3" 220lbs) and arm strength when throwing in poor conditions, but his poise and decision-making as he marched his team downfield in the 2 minute drill. This maybe someone we should be paying attention to tomorow and at the combine.

OT:

I love this. :rolleyes:

He's perfect!

O'Briend Schofeld helping his case for being one of the top linebackers drafted. The former DE looking real good after learning to play LB this week. Could he be this years defensive player that jumps to the first round out of nowhere?

WR Blair White looked like a bigger Wel Welker in this game. Was everywhere, caught everything, especially in traffic.

Probably won't even get drafted.

Two QBs looked good: that Penn State kid, Daryl Ward, is built like McNabb, and Mike Kafka brought the East back during a NFL-like two minute drill. The one with the big arm is Skelton from Fordham. All worth watching at the combine.

Interested in brian Griese's comment about Tebow: "He simply doesn't have the arm to be a full-time NFL QB".

Todd McShay said he thought there is only one QB worth a first round pick and that is Bradford... IF his shoulder comes back.

WR Blair White looked like a bigger Wel Welker in this game. Was everywhere, caught everything, especially in traffic.

Probably won't even get drafted.

Two QBs looked good: that Penn State kid, Daryl Ward, is built like McNabb, and Mike Kafka brought the East back during a NFL-like two minute drill. The one with the big arm is Skelton from Fordham. All worth watching at the combine.

Interested in brian Griese's comment about Tebow: "He simply doesn't have the arm to be a full-time NFL QB".

Todd McShay said he thought there is only one QB worth a first round pick and that is Bradford... IF his shoulder comes back.

I was very impressed with Blair White, reminds me of Ricky Proehl. Always seems to get open and make a grab. Hard working kid who went from walk-on to star in 4 years at Mich St. Great late round UDFA pick up

I was very impressed with Blair White, reminds me of Ricky Proehl. Always seems to get open and make a grab. Hard working kid who went from walk-on to star in 4 years at Mich St. Great late round UDFA pick up

I concur, Blair White will make any NFL team happy. To me he was the best looking player in the game.

Other players that stood out to me were:

Dennis Pitta TE Brigham Young

Matt Nichols QB Eastern Washington

Daniel Te'o Nesheim DT Washington

Jamar Wall CB Texas Tech

Pat Paschall RB North Dakota State

Mike Kafka QB Northwestern

Freddie Barnes WR Bowling Green State

O'Brien Schofield LB Wisconsin

Apparently Skelton looked like he needed some work (especially w/ respect to his footwork/mobility..). And I would be remiss if I didn't mention: Schottenheimer gets the win!

Here are the rest of the statistics for the Shrine Game:

Score By Quarters
-----------------
				  1st   2nd   3rd   4th	  Final
Shrine-East			0	 6	 0	 7		 13
Shrine-West			0	 3	 0	 7		 10

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter - No Scoring.
2nd Quarter - Shrine-West Field Goal - 47-yarder by Hunter Lawrence. 5:56
		   Remaining.
		 - Shrine-East Field Goal - 44-yarder by Joshua Shene. 2:15
		   Remaining.
		 - Shrine-East Field Goal - 40-yarder by Joshua Shene. 0:05
		   Remaining.
3rd Quarter - No Scoring.
4th Quarter - Shrine-West Touchdown - 8-yard pass from Max Hall to Ryan Moya.
		   (Hunter Lawrence kick). 6:59 Remaining.
		 - Shrine-East Touchdown - 2-yard pass from Mike Kafka to Andrew
		   Quarless. (Joshua Shene kick). 0:06 Remaining.

Attendance:8345
Time: 2:51

Final Team Statistics

EAST	WEST
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS										   20		 13
  By Rushing												 2		  4
  By Passing												17		  8
  By Penalty												 1		  1
THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY								 8-16-50%   5-12-42%
FOURTH DOWN EFFICIENCY								  0-1-0%	 0-0-0%
TOTAL NET YARDS											319		251
  Total Offensive Plays (inc. times thrown passing)		 69		 49