Milloy's Spin Move

Paco

Three times I watched Milloy start to blitz like he was going to the outside, stop, spin off the defender and get an inside hit on Bulger for the sack. I thought that was interesting because generally you just see these guys bullrush the quarterback.

Now look. I know we were very lucky to win yesterday against a crappy team who also lost to the Dolphins and that Bledsoe is done and we're all idiots for enjoying the win, but if we can talk about the play of this particular person for a moment...

Is this something Milloy has typically done? Is it something guys in the secondary do very often? I just don't recall seeing a safety have that much success with a move like that.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Three times I watched Milloy start to blitz like he was going to the outside, stop, spin off the defender and get an inside hit on Bulger for the sack. I thought that was interesting because generally you just see these guys bullrush the quarterback.

Now look. I know we were very lucky to win yesterday against a crappy team who also lost to the Dolphins and that Bledsoe is done and we're all idiots for enjoying the win, but if we can talk about the play of this particular person for a moment...

Is this something Milloy has typically done? Is it something guys in the secondary do very often? I just don't recall seeing a safety have that much success with a move like that.

128945[/snapback]

I don't know about typical of anyone - but I know I haven't seen another Bills CB or Safety make those plays. The second effort on the two I saw were awesome (the first of the three IIRC was a speed rush around end). Too many times I've watched blitzes get stuffed, and the D suffer the consequences. To get through when he did were great plays. Can't say enough about his game.

128945[/snapback]

Certainly players of that size who rush the passer will have zero success if they allow OLineman to get their hands on them. Milloy's efforts yesterday were remarkable considering on at least two of the sacks he was held AND there were 2 available blockers on each.

Most of the time when a secondary player blitzes, the design is to have them come clean as they are the most easily handled, regardless of who is available. There was also a blitz where #25 engaged the guard and basically ducked under him to hit Bulger in the shins.

All in all a very good effort by a mostly young DB corp, led by a wily veteran who has probably been our most valuable defensive player since his return.

The thing which I thought was most noteworthy on two of Milloys sacks was that he managed to grab the QB as he was being block/pushed past. He was completely focused and determined and made the play despite not having a 'clear' shot. Lesser players just don't get a sack in that situation.

Milloy has great football sense. He is the strongest member of our secondary. He is very quick with great balance. I watched him for years with the Pats.

128945[/snapback]