Why the complaints on McGahee's 'speed'

ICE

Name for me how many RB's in the league can take it 80 yards. Make sure they are starters.

Not priest Holmes. I have seen him ran down this year. Not Edge. Not Jamal Lewis, seen him ran down in his 2000 yard campign last year.

The only two I have seen are L. Tomlinson and A. Greene and they can't do it consistantly.

So my gripe is this, we have a 6' tall 228+ RB that can break 20, 25 and 30 yard runs. Why is there any complaint about his 'speed'. We are not playing South Carolina or bum Fugg A&T. So what he appeared to do at the U of M doesn't apply here in the NFL.

The kid is fast enough right now. When he gets a chance he breaks long runs. Long enough to do the job. Will he get faster? Define faster. Faster in the 40 or 100 yard sprint? Some, but not much. But again that doesn't translate to football speed (Ask the Raiders)

WM is FINE AS IS. Christ folks, this kid should NEVER have been on a football field period but here he is with over 100 yards in 4 of 5 starts and people are still raising questions and bitching. As he PLAYS he will get better. But right now we have an RB that can take out someone on the Blitz (THANK GOD!) can catch when needed and can post 100 yards damn near every outing. That is good enough for me.

Great point on the protection.

Did anyone notice that TH just looked bad out there. he only half heartedly picked up a russing lineman and his running looked like someone just putting in his time. I'm disapointed in him he is not showing the character that his did last year.

128460[/snapback]

TH showed us all his charicter. 1) doing some 15 year old. 2) spending all of his money in 2 years. 3) bitching and whining about the McGahee trade. 4) After a long run this year in which WM did well everyone was cheering. They showed TH on the bench shaking his head with a disgusted look on his face.

This list can go on and on, he is a punk and has been one from the start. We will be rid of him soon enough.

Great point on the protection.

Did anyone notice that TH just looked bad out there. he only half heartedly picked up a russing lineman and his running looked like someone just putting in his time. I'm disapointed in him he is not showing the character that his did last year.

128460[/snapback]

I can't be too harsh on Travis Henry. After all he's been benched and his time in Buffalo is clearly limited. His play appears half hearted, mostly because of the unimaginative way that the coaches have decided to use him. It can't be that much fun to trot on to the field 5 times a game to do nothing more than run a draw play that everyone knows is coming and then do some pass blocking when you are used to starting and being a fan favourite.

The man has 'checked out' - so I am going to let him slide and wave him goodbye come the end of the season.

My one true wish would be for the coaching staff to further reinvigorate the offence by using Travis and Willis together in the backfield. I'd like to see double screens, true playactions passes to one or the other out of the backfield, draw plays with one of them split wide to confuse the D... that sorta thing. I reckon it could be a turning point for the O if we make this happen.

I can't be too harsh on Travis Henry. After all he's been benched and his time in Buffalo is clearly limited. His play appears half hearted, mostly because of the unimaginative way that the coaches have decided to use him. It can't be that much fun to trot on to the field 5 times a game to do nothing more than run a draw play that everyone knows is coming and then do some pass blocking when you are used to starting and being a fan favourite.

The man has 'checked out' - so I am going to let him slide and wave him goodbye come the end of the season.

My one true wish would be for the coaching staff to further reinvigorate the offence by using Travis and Willis together in the backfield. I'd like to see double screens, true playactions passes to one or the other out of the backfield, draw plays with one of them split wide to confuse the D... that sorta thing. I reckon it could be a turning point for the O if we make this happen.

128521[/snapback]

Why nick? They know TH isn't going to do anything. The ONLY time it worked...was against Jacksonville.

Why nick? They know TH isn't going to do anything. The ONLY time it worked...was against Jacksonville.

128527[/snapback]

Well - firstly because if he is motivated properly it will increase his value in FA for both him and us. It does neither party any good to have his as a below average backup - and his previous performances for us deserve better than this... (think back to last season)

Secondly - i hate when Travis trots in for one play. It's like the coaches are going 'hey look here's our former #1 RB, he must be going in to run it right? haha - no - we tricked ya we're going to pass.' But that's pointless because the D knows we'll pass, and they know Travis can't pass block - so we are almost giving the D a free sack or hurry. If we used him in a more expansive roel - he would be harder to guage.

Well - firstly because if he is motivated properly it will increase his value in FA for both him and us. It does neither party any good to have his as a below average backup - and his previous performances for us deserve better than this... (think back to last season)

Secondly - i hate when Travis trots in for one play. It's like the coaches are going 'hey look here's our former #1 RB, he must be going in to run it right? haha - no - we tricked ya we're going to pass.' But that's pointless because the D knows we'll pass, and they know Travis can't pass block - so we are almost giving the D a free sack or hurry. If we used him in a more expansive roel - he would be harder to guage.

128537[/snapback]

You and I disagree. I NEVER Award for anything in the past. They are getting paid to do the job. Bonuses are built in to reward the player. It is a 'what have you done for me lately' job. EVERY player knows this. If they can't handle that then find something else to do.

128521[/snapback]

He is being paid to do a job, not pout like a little school-girl. I will not cut him slack. Why should the coaching staff use him MORE, if he is not going to give maximum effort when he is out there? It would be an insult to the people who are busting their azzes on this team.

You and I disagree. I NEVER Award for anything in the past. They are getting paid to do the job. Bonuses are built in to reward the player.  It is a 'what have you done for me lately' job. EVERY player knows this. If they can't handle that then find something else to do.

128543[/snapback]

OK fair point - and I agree on the 'what have you done for me lately' point. But if we don't give him a fair opportuniry (which could be affored to him with some more inventive play selections) the he'll continue to do nothing.

While we don't have THAT much invested in Travis cos he's an idiot when it comes to signing contracts and screwing 15 year old girls, it would still make a lot of sense to get SOMETHING out of a guy who has proved in previous season to be a 1,300+ yard running back.

He's not going to be a Buffalo Bill come the off season - if we cut him, then fine - screw the lazy SOB he can rot on our bench. If we want to trade him and get some value back - we need to invest a little more in him to make sure we get a good return....

I'm happy to disagree - cos we are doing just fine based on Willis' previous performances - but I think we could turn it up a level by using Travis inventively.

OK fair point - and I agree on the 'what have you done for me lately' point. But if we don't give him a fair opportuniry (which could be affored to him with some more inventive play selections) the he'll continue to do nothing.

Nick, he started the season as the starter. We were force fed TH Though 4 games I think. he SUCKED. We finally put the better back on the field.

The ONLY thing an athlete can ask for is a legit chance. TH Has had that and more.

Name for me how many RB's in the league can take it 80 yards.  Make sure they are starters.

128445[/snapback]

Lee Suggs can go the distance from anywhere on the field. The guy is much faster than I ever thought he was.

McGahee is fine. Once he gets outside he does have very good speed. I realize after yesterday that he is definitely better than Henry. Henry goes down so much easier on the first hit.

Guest floridian fan
You and I disagree. I NEVER Award for anything in the past. They are getting paid to do the job. Bonuses are built in to reward the player.  It is a 'what have you done for me lately' job. EVERY player knows this. If they can't handle that then find something else to do.

128543[/snapback]

Whoa, wait a sec here... you never "award" anything for the past, but youy blowing up TH for past indisgressions; ie nailing a 15 year old, spending all hismoney... doesnt seem real fair to me...

However,I do agree that his pouting makes me want to puke!

-chris