Where is the ego?

If I'm a guy who wants to be a NFL HC, I would RELISH the opportunity to try and take a pathetic, hopeless, wretched leper of a franchise and make them into a power. If I were a guy aiming to land an NFL HC job, my ego would dictate that I would want the rebuild opportunity. But maybe these coordinators are kitties. I understand you're a coward and want to hide behind your head coach until the dream job opens up. My sincerest hope is that these clowns who've turned down this opportunity NEVER get a shot at being a head coach.

If I'm a guy who wants to be a NFL HC, I would RELISH the opportunity to try and take a pathetic, hopeless, wretched leper of a franchise and make them into a power. If I were a guy aiming to land an NFL HC job, my ego would dictate that I would want the rebuild opportunity. But maybe these coordinators are kitties. I understand you're a coward and want to hide behind your head coach until the dream job opens up.

I like the idea of wanting a guy who thinks he is the reason for the success a team has. If you are Brian Schotenheimer and you decline to interview for a HC job in the NFL that's all I need to know about you pass. I want a guy who wants to be the man and to be the man you have to beat the man. Now in the NFL if you rebuild a team you are the man, very few coordinators are going to come into a ready made situation and shouldn't there be a part of you that wants you to be the epicenter of your teams success?

I just don't get why a coordinator who could be hot one year and cold the next not strike while the iron is hot? For all Brian Schotenheimer knows he might never be asked to interview for a job ever again same goes for Russ Grimm. Its weird that a guy named Leslie is being a man who wants the job.

Ego versus financially prudent career decision and current contentment. Think about which decision you would make in your current career field.

If I could take a job where I was GUARANTEED 2-3x the income I'm making now, plus have the opportunity to call the shots, I'm gonna take it even if the potential to crash and burn is there.

Ego versus financially prudent career decision. Think about which decision you would make in your current career field.

I disagree with this. Any coordinator would make more money as the Bills HC. If he came here and flamed out, so what? It's Buffalo, no one wins here and a fresh coaching position will be readily available. Greggo, Phillips, and Mularkey all have done fine after their debacle in Buffalo. Even Jauron will land somewhere.

Ego versus financially prudent career decision and current contentment. Think about which decision you would make in your current career field.

There are plenty of coordinators that are hot names for head coaching jobs that turn down offers and stay with their current team and then they never get mentioned again for HC jobs. I like to think that giving yourself a hefty raise and being the guy in charge is a good career move for a guy who might only have a small window of opportunity to get a job.

Yeah, but the difference is that these coaching gigs are not a regular job by my blue collar standards. They are highly competitive and subject to transition every 4-6 years in a good situation. If Rex and his buddies screw it up in a couple of years they'll be out of a job anyway.

If they don't want the job in Buffalo good. Give it to somebody who does and can get the job done right.

I disagree with this. Any coordinator would make more money as the Bills HC. If he came here and flamed out, so what? It's Buffalo, no one wins here and a fresh coaching position will be readily available. Greggo, Phillips, and Mularkey all have done fine after their debacle in Buffalo. Even Jauron will land somewhere.

Good point about former Bills head coaching failures returning to work elsewhere. An NFL head coaching job is an NFL head coaching job, and if available then yes they should take the opportunity. I just disagree that the pathetic states of franchises like the Bills and the Raiders in any way makes them more attractive to coaches due to their "ego".

If I could take a job where I was GUARANTEED 2-3x the income I'm making now, plus have the opportunity to call the shots, I'm gonna take it even if the potential to crash and burn is there.

You won't have that, and that has been the hang up with any potential HC. Cowher, Shanahan etal wanted power over the roster, Ralph wont' give it

If I'm a guy who wants to be a NFL HC, I would RELISH the opportunity to try and take a pathetic, hopeless, wretched leper of a franchise and make them into a power. If I were a guy aiming to land an NFL HC job, my ego would dictate that I would want the rebuild opportunity. But maybe these coordinators are kitties. I understand you're a coward and want to hide behind your head coach until the dream job opens up. My sincerest hope is that these clowns who've turned down this opportunity NEVER get a shot at being a head coach.

There's a lot more that goes into the HC position than personnel decisions and X and O's. You've got to deal with the media alot more.You'd have to directly deal with the owner,and all the politics that go with that,a lot more. You become the face of the franchise,and everything you do and say gets scrutinized. There's a lot of long-time assistants around that have no desire to be a HC,because they don't want to deal with all the political crap that comes with it. They just want to coach football. If a guy's happy with his job and his income and wants to stay put,I say more power to him.

There's a lot more that goes into the HC position than personnel decisions and X and O's. You've got to deal with the media alot more.You'd have to directly deal with the owner,and all the politics that go with that,a lot more. You become the face of the franchise,and everything you do and say gets scrutinized. There's a lot of long-time assistants around that have no desire to be a HC,because they don't want to deal with all the political crap that comes with it. They just want to coach football. If a guy's happy with his job and his income and wants to stay put,I say more power to him.

What you say is true Tiger but it's a separate issue. There are coaches who want to be head coaches. Presumably everyone the Bills have talked about are in this boat. Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier and Russ Grimm have interviewed for NFL head coaching decisions before and have expressed a desire to someday be head coaches.

You're addressing more of someone like Dick LeBeau or Alex Gibbs or the late Bob McKittrick.

What you say is true Tiger but it's a separate issue. There are coaches who want to be head coaches. Presumably everyone the Bills have talked about are in this boat. Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier and Russ Grimm have interviewed for NFL head coaching decisions before and have expressed a desire to someday be head coaches.

You're addressing more of someone like Dick LeBeau or Alex Gibbs or the late Bob McKittrick.

Good post San Jose. The coordinators in question, certainly have HC interests. The debate is whether or not passing up an opportunity in Buffalo is a wise decision. A case can be made for both points a view. My personal opinion is that if you are given the opportunity, you should take it.

If you get the Bills to the playoffs, you are a genius. If you tank out, you go back to work as a coordinator and use it as a learning experience. Confidence is as important in coaching as it is in playing. Things couldn't have looked uglier for Lane Kiffen a couple of years ago. Like him or hate him (and i hate him), he now has arguably the best college gig out there.

Good post San Jose. The coordinators in question, certainly have HC interests. The debate is whether or not passing up an opportunity in Buffalo is a wise decision. A case can be made for both points a view. My personal opinion is that if you are given the opportunity, you should take it.

If you get the Bills to the playoffs, you are a genius. If you tank out, you go back to work as a coordinator and use it as a learning experience. Confidence is as important in coaching as it is in playing. Things couldn't have looked uglier for Lane Kiffen a couple of years ago. Like him or hate him (and i hate him), he now has arguably the best college gig out there.

They still making the t-shirts in your avatar?

I don't know, but I need a new Bills t-shirt. :thumbsup:

I'm not buying what the Bills are selling until Ralph's gone. I'm not going to throw a tampon fit around here like some, but at the same time I can't condone spending hard-earned money on a franchise that's done absolutely nothing for 10+ seasons. I'm thankful that Ralph brought football to WNY. I'm not happy that he's done nothing to bring meaningful football nor secure the future of the franchise in WNY.

What I do need, though is a way to show that I've actually folloed this team and rooted for them through this wonderful decade.