Holding on Willis' Great run

I had the sound off so I missed an explanation. If there was holding during his run, why didn't the run get nullified and the Bills marched back ten yards?

I was so pissed that this awesome run was going to be wiped from the record books (and videos), that I missed the ruling on the field.

128005[/snapback]

It was marked off 10 yards from the spot of the foul. It occurred at the 8 yard line, hence the ball was spotted at the 18yd line.

It was.

If the holding is done downfield, the penalty is enforced from that spot.

So WM ran to the endzone, but there was a hold on the 8. Therefore, the ball was marked back to the 18, but was 1st and 10 because we converted the first down before then.

Confusing because it doesn't happen often - but think of it the same as on a kick/punt return - penalty is enforced at the spot of the foul.

CW

I had the sound off so I missed an explanation. If there was holding during his run, why didn't the run get nullified and the Bills marched back ten yards?

I was so pissed that this awesome run was going to be wiped from the record books (and videos), that I missed the ruling on the field.

128005[/snapback]

It was a pretty cheap call. Even if it was a hold it looked like it was behind the play. No way he was gonna catch him.

I think because it happened after 10 yards down the field. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think evans held after willis had gained at least 10 yards, so the play was called back to the original spot. Also, and again correct me if i'm wrong, i believe his yardage counted on his final rushing stats. He gained 100 on 20 carries, but without that big run, i didn't see how he got more than 75 or so. I have it tivo'd and i'll watch later, but i think that's how the penalty was called. It was replayed 1st and 10, instead of 1st and 20.

I think because it happened after 10 yards down the field.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think evans held after willis had gained at least 10 yards, so the play was called back to the original spot.  Also, and again correct me if i'm wrong, i believe his yardage counted on his final rushing stats.  He gained 100 on 20 carries, but without that big run, i didn't see how he got more than 75 or so.  I have it tivo'd and i'll watch later, but i think that's how the penalty was called.  It was replayed 1st and 10, instead of 1st and 20.

128010[/snapback]

No, holding downfield on a play is always marked off from the spot of the foul. Since Willis had run 41 yards already before the hold occured, he gets credit for that 41 yards (instead of what would have been 49 and a TD. Since the penalty occured during the play, it would not be 1st and 20, but rather marked off from where the penalty occured. And since even with the minus ten yards, the play was further than the original first down marker (actually 31 yards from the line of scrimmage), it is just 1st and 10.