Kiffen to USC

el Tigre

Wow. Can this clown even coach?????? I guess you gotta give him credit,he keeps getting jobs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820737

Excuse me while I go laugh my f***ing ass off.

What a great year to be a Tide fan.

And I just checked out the Tenn Volunteer football website, and their list of coaches.

Lane's name and picture have been removed. But so has dad Monte, and fellow USC loser Ed Orgeron.

Love it! The Tenn program is in chaos.

Well he just fcked UT pretty good right there. :lol:

This is a boom or bust hire for USC...I'll give them credit for swinging for the fences, but I don't see this ending well.

The positives:

- Excellent recruiter

- Has the best chance of any potential coach to hold USC's current recruiting class together

- Has assembled hands down the best (on paper) staff in the country

The negatives:

- Is he even a good coach?

- Daddy is 70 years old

- Supposed bad blood between him and Chow (still baffled Norm took the job...I'm guessing it was the $$$)

- Rumors that he was universally disliked by players, fellow coaches and administration while at USC

And the biggest negative at all...he is DIRTY. He was part of the corrupt machine that got USC into it's pending mess, he immediately committed a dozen (minor) violations at UT and he brought another slimeball, Orgeron back into the mix. Is Mike Garrett really giving the keys to USC's Mercedes to this douchebag who will undoubtedly break rules right as the NCAA is itching to sanction them?

I honestly can't picture a scenario where the NCAA would give another SMU death penalty again. What that did to the program was disastrous and I think it freaked them out. The fact that 'Bama survived in '02 is evidence enough. But if there was ever a situation that would force their hands again, I think it just walked on campus in Southern California.

PS - Tennessee had two verbal commits on Saturday and 10 early enrollees start yesterday. OUCH. :censored:

I think you nailed it, bartshan-83. This could payoff big, given his recruiting history and past success at the school, but his past behavior indicates that it will more likely blow up in USC's face. The guy seems like a total douchebag, completely arrogant, and he hasn't had any significant success as a head coach yet. However, I think going to the college ranks for a coach was a good idea, especially considering the bums they were looking at in the NFL (Del Rio, Edwards). Clearly he's got something the AD's like, because both UT and USC are prestigious enough programs that they wouldn't hire some bum, but I think he has a slim chance of success, especially if they get the heavy sanctions everyone is anticipating.

Well he just fcked UT pretty good right there. :lol:

This is a boom or bust hire for USC...I'll give them credit for swinging for the fences, but I don't see this ending well.

The positives:

- Excellent recruiter

- Has the best chance of any potential coach to hold USC's current recruiting class together

- Has assembled hands down the best (on paper) staff in the country

The negatives:

- Is he even a good coach?

- Daddy is 70 years old

- Supposed bad blood between him and Chow (still baffled Norm took the job...I'm guessing it was the $$$)

- Rumors that he was universally disliked by players, fellow coaches and administration while at USC

And the biggest negative at all...he is DIRTY. He was part of the corrupt machine that got USC into it's pending mess, he immediately committed a dozen (minor) violations at UT and he brought another slimeball, Orgeron back into the mix. Is Mike Garrett really giving the keys to USC's Mercedes to this douchebag who will undoubtedly break rules right as the NCAA is itching to sanction them?

I honestly can't picture a scenario where the NCAA would give another SMU death penalty again. What that did to the program was disastrous and I think it freaked them out. The fact that 'Bama survived in '02 is evidence enough. But if there was ever a situation that would force their hands again, I think it just walked on campus in Southern California.

IMHO, if the NZAA gave Bama the death penalty, the poop would have hit the oscillating device.

The only evidence revealed in '02 was how incompetent, inconsistent, and possibly corrupt the NCAA is/was.

PS - Tennessee had two verbal commits on Saturday and 10 early enrollees start yesterday. OUCH. :thumbdown:

Apparently, things got "testy" in Knoxville Tuesday night following Kiffin's announcement:

Linky

Rumors are saying tear gas was used, but I personally am not buying it.

Here's a Volunteer fan reaction to Lane's announcement:

Coaching candidates:

According to volnation.com:

Gruden was approached and said NO.

Fulmer is NOT coming back as the AD has no interest in bringing him back

Going hard after Muschamp.

Apparently, things got "testy" in Knoxville Tuesday night following Kiffin's announcement:

Linky

Rumors are saying tear gas was used, but I personally am not buying it.

Here's a Volunteer fan reaction to Lane's announcement:

Coaching candidates:

According to volnation.com:

Gruden was approached and said NO.

Fulmer is NOT coming back as the AD has no interest in bringing him back

Going hard after Muschamp.

I've heard the Muschamp rumors as well. Three things about the coaching search:

1. Isn't Muschamp in a sort of Jimbo Fisher situation at Texas? Meaning, as far as I understood it, he has been quasi-promised a "coach in waiting" type deal. If this was the case, I'd think he'd be just as likely to bounce from Tennessee in a few years if he was successful just as Kiffin did.

2. I'm wondering why no mention of Mike Leach. I'd seriously consider bringing him to Knoxville. He would have RichRod type growing pains, but I think he could be successful. And Tennessee has to shake things up to get out of their current 5th-fiddle spot.

3. I'm guessing Tuberville is kicking himself for taking the T-Tech job just as an SEC job opened. :blink:

I've heard the Muschamp rumors as well. Three things about the coaching search:

1. Isn't Muschamp in a sort of Jimbo Fisher situation at Texas? Meaning, as far as I understood it, he has been quasi-promised a "coach in waiting" type deal. If this was the case, I'd think he'd be just as likely to bounce from Tennessee in a few years if he was successful just as Kiffin did.

Yep. From checking the vol board this morning, Muschamp has told Tenn no.

2. I'm wondering why no mention of Mike Leach. I'd seriously consider bringing him to Knoxville. He would have RichRod type growing pains, but I think he could be successful. And Tennessee has to shake things up to get out of their current 5th-fiddle spot.

How the UT AD feels about Leach is unknown, but the fan reaction is pretty consistent: Hell no.

- "kooky" offense (as one poster put it)

- serious concerns about the ability to field an "SEC quality" D

- think parents of recruits will react negatively towards Leach given how he has handled the James situation

- somebody posted this: Linky

3. I'm guessing Tuberville is kicking himself for taking the T-Tech job just as an SEC job opened. :unsure:

Possibly. However, some rumors floating around saying he was tired of coaching in the SEC. True or not, I have no clue.

Side note: Tubby is interviewing Tony Franklin's successor at Troy. IIRC, he was Franklin's OC while Tony was at Troy.

Norm Chow staying @ UCLA

Linky

Last night on the radio the U$C fans were really patting themselves on the back about the Kiffen hire. They seem to think it's great. The host,aU$C fan,called it "a great hire and a total home run" if they got Chow too. Glad to see they didn't get him. Time will tell on Kiffen,but I'm not sold on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.