Why is everyone obsessed with a big name head coach???

Let me preface this before I start. I would still love to get Cowher (though I still think he is overrated because of Lebeau & the Steelers' FO) and would enjoy it throughly.

That said, why does everyone have such a crush on having a big name coach? No coach has ever one a Super Bowl with 2 different teams (that still should be the goal). Furthermore, here is a list of the playoff teams in the league this year and their coaches:

Bengals - Marvin Lewis (1st time head coach, former DC)

Ravens - John Harbaugh (1st time head coach, former STs coordinator)

Patriots - Bill Belichick (2nd time head coach, had a Jauron-like record in his 1st stop)

Jets - Rex Ryan (1st time head coach, former DC)

Chargers - Norv Turner (3rd time head coach, was a loser at 2 previous stops)

Colts - Jim Caldwell (1st time NFL coach, had a 26-63 record as a coach at Wake Forest)

Eagles - Andy Reid (1st time head coach, QB coach)

Cards - Ken Wisenhunt (1st time head coach, OC)

Pack - Mike McCarthy (1st time head coach, OC)

Cowboys - Wade Phillips (3rd time head coach, made the playoffs with both team yet is hated on bc he has no playoffs wins)

Vikes - Brad Childress (1st time head coach, OC)

Saints - Sean Payton (1st time head coach, OC)

Looking at this list, the majority of the coaches are 1st time head coaches. 3 of the coaches had losing records (Caldwell, Turner, Belichick). Phillips is probably the most successful coach career-wise and a lot of people think he will be fired if he loses a playoff game.

The bottomline comes done to why do we want a big name head coach? It really has shown to improve our chances for victory. The biggest impact will be that we will get more national notice. This is not to say a bigger name will not be successful. But it still comes down to finding the best guy for the job. There are good coaches all over the country would would give a right nut to coach in Buffalo. The biggest thing we need to do is trust that Nix will find the guy and not just settle on someone because of their name. IMO, it still is a players league. We need to get the players and make it a favorable situation for a lot of coaches to succeed here. JMO.

because people have to have something to complain about.

I see no reason why hiring someone like Russ Grimm, Brain Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazer or Ron Rivera or the Philadelphia coordinator (forget his name but its been mentioned alot) who are all 5 up and coming coaches. Top coordinators who will be HC someday.

Let me preface this before I start. I would still love to get Cowher (though I still think he is overrated because of Lebeau & the Steelers' FO) and would enjoy it throughly.

That said, why does everyone have such a crush on having a big name coach? No coach has ever one a Super Bowl with 2 different teams (that still should be the goal). Furthermore, here is a list of the playoff teams in the league this year and their coaches:

Bengals - Marvin Lewis (1st time head coach, former DC)

Ravens - John Harbaugh (1st time head coach, former STs coordinator)

Patriots - Bill Belichick (2nd time head coach, had a Jauron-like record in his 1st stop)

Jets - Rex Ryan (1st time head coach, former DC)

Chargers - Norv Turner (3rd time head coach, was a loser at 2 previous stops)

Colts - Jim Caldwell (1st time NFL coach, had a 26-63 record as a coach at Wake Forest)

Eagles - Andy Reid (1st time head coach, QB coach)

Cards - Ken Wisenhunt (1st time head coach, OC)

Pack - Mike McCarthy (1st time head coach, OC)

Cowboys - Wade Phillips (3rd time head coach, made the playoffs with both team yet is hated on bc he has no playoffs wins)

Vikes - Brad Childress (1st time head coach, OC)

Saints - Sean Payton (1st time head coach, OC)

Looking at this list, the majority of the coaches are 1st time head coaches. 3 of the coaches had losing records (Caldwell, Turner, Belichick). Phillips is probably the most successful coach career-wise and a lot of people think he will be fired if he loses a playoff game.

The bottomline comes done to why do we want a big name head coach? It really has shown to improve our chances for victory. The biggest impact will be that we will get more national notice. This is not to say a bigger name will not be successful. But it still comes down to finding the best guy for the job. There are good coaches all over the country would would give a right nut to coach in Buffalo. The biggest thing we need to do is trust that Nix will find the guy and not just settle on someone because of their name. IMO, it still is a players league. We need to get the players and make it a favorable situation for a lot of coaches to succeed here. JMO.

I think we are weary of the unknown. The last three didn't work out and at least a coach with a proven track record gives the hope things will get better. Perhaps Buddy Nix picking the players for awhile will make the need for a " genuis coach less important. It is for sure only a great coach was taking this mess on a deep playoff run.