What is w/ the complete dearth of kickers?

UConn James

Have we been so spoiled over the years by the likes of Nick Lowry, Gary and Morten Anderson, and Steve Christie that we're expecting too much from the average kicker?

Misses have abounded this year more than others, it seems. Left and right and boinging off the post for the Auburn kicker today (I've done recreational kicking and I hit the post way more often than you'd think). There was a UConn game against Duke earlier this year and there were like 6 missed FGs, including Duke for a game winner, 26 yards. Chip shots all.

This is what makes a Mike Nugent all the more desirable for a team in need. 8/9 from 50+. Saw that his brother plays for the OSU soccer team and scored to advance their team in the NCAA tourney. Sounds like he comes from a good family.

TD, I've got your second round pick penciled in right here!

Have we been so spoiled over the years by the likes of Nick Lowry, Gary and Morten Anderson, and Steve Christie that we're expecting too much from the average kicker?

Misses have abounded this year more than others, it seems. Left and right and boinging off the post for the Auburn kicker today (I've done recreational kicking and I hit the post way more often than you'd think). There was a UConn game against Duke earlier this year and there were like 6 missed FGs, including Duke for a game winner, 26 yards. Chip shots all.

This is what makes a Mike Nugent all the more desirable for a team in need. 8/9 from 50+. Saw that his brother plays for the OSU soccer team and scored to advance their team in the NCAA tourney. Sounds like he comes from a good family.

TD, I've got your second round pick penciled in right here!

126599[/snapback]

James, The Buckeyes are my college team and Nugent is something special. Still, I would have to question TD's state of mind if he used his top pick ( 2nd rounder ) on Nugent. The Bills need Offensive Lineman (2) and a Free Safety in a bad way. Kicker has NOT been a problem this year. Lindell shanked one 43 yarder and had another blocked. He made all his other kicks.... 13-15 = 86.7% Average to good on kickoffs. The improvement can be directly attributed to Dorenbos snapping on FG's in 2004 instead of Teague. Ball comes back faster and Lindell has a much better rhythm in his approach. Hardly a coincidence.

Nugent is a luxury we cannot afford at present. More pressing needs are obvious.

James, The Buckeyes are my college team and Nugent is something special. Still, I would have to question TD's state of mind if he used his top pick ( 2nd rounder ) on Nugent. The Bills need Offensive Lineman (2) and a Free Safety in a bad way. Kicker has NOT been a problem this year. Lindell shanked one 43 yarder and had another blocked. He made all his other kicks.... 13-15 = 86.7%  Average to good on kickoffs. The improvement can be directly attributed to Dorenbos snapping on FG's in 2004 instead of Teague. Ball comes back faster and Lindell has a much better rhythm in his approach. Hardly a coincidence.

Nugent is a luxury we cannot afford at present. More pressing needs are obvious.

130246[/snapback]

Point given. This has been disputed on the other board, what is 13-15 when MM is afraid to have Lindell try from over 45? If it comes down to a 47-yarder in the Super Bowl (and the trend is that, like regular season games, they've come down to long field goals), do you really feel comfortable with Lindell lining up? I agree there are other holes that need to be addressed, (Vincent will move to FS, McGee at 2nd CB) but none of them are an entire area that can be solidified in one pick.

My wishes for TD's pick aside, the question I was asking is why are there so few kickers like Nugent coming up who can actually hit from 50 yards+ consistently? Were we spoiled by that good crop in the 80s-90s who could make everything?

In my recreational kicking at Memorial Stadium, they have a portable trailer that's about 10 feet over from and ten feet behind the netting. The window in it has been broken (not by me, but there've been a couple of close calls :lol: ) and replaced so many times it's not funny. This is backed up on the field. And this seems like an NCAA-wide problem. Is it a lack of good coaching? The growing popularity of soccer, it being a fall sport as well? What's the deal?

James, The Buckeyes are my college team and Nugent is something special. Still, I would have to question TD's state of mind if he used his top pick ( 2nd rounder ) on Nugent. The Bills need Offensive Lineman (2) and a Free Safety in a bad way. Kicker has NOT been a problem this year. Lindell shanked one 43 yarder and had another blocked. He made all his other kicks.... 13-15 = 86.7%  Average to good on kickoffs. The improvement can be directly attributed to Dorenbos snapping on FG's in 2004 instead of Teague. Ball comes back faster and Lindell has a much better rhythm in his approach. Hardly a coincidence.

130246[/snapback]

blah blah blah Buckeyes blah blah Buckeyes....blah. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :o

Go Blue (those bastards!!!!! :o:w00t: )

Six missed kicks, including two extra points, in Nebraska-Colorado State. There've been two in the Texas-Texas A&M game.

The question stands.

Is this year statistically different from any other or am I just seeing it more as I'm watching it more? I'll snoop around for NCAA-wide stats but I don't know if it's all compiled like that....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.