BILLS players are too soft for East Coast!

NY Nole

Obviously there are exceptions -- Wood's injury was grotesque and I'm sure there are a few other bad injuries. Injuries are part of the game and a normal season will have it's share of IR -- but this is beyond acceptable and a trend that has gone on the last few years (we had alot of IR last year too).

I believe this many IR (year after year) suggests something more going on -- too many "soft" players and a culture in the Bills FO that supports it. My contention is that if the Bills had a winning season and were in contention for the playoffs -- the IR list would be magically cut in half.

I hope that this roster is really scrutinized this off-season and purged of as many soft players as warranted. We do not have a team of football players, we have a bunch of pansies who would rather be anywhere but in Orchard Park in December on a football field.

Obviously there are exceptions -- Wood's injury was grotesque and I'm sure there are a few other bad injuries. Injuries are part of the game and a normal season will have it's share of IR -- but this is beyond acceptable and a trend that has gone on the last few years (we had alot of IR last year too).

I believe this many IR (year after year) suggests something more going on -- too many "soft" players and a culture in the Bills FO that supports it. My contention is that if the Bills had a winning season and were in contention for the playoffs -- the IR list would be magically cut in half.

I hope that this roster is really scrutinized this off-season and purged of as many soft players as warranted. We do not have a team of football players, we have a bunch of pansies who would rather be anywhere but in Orchard Park in December on a football field.

I lived in Pittsburgh for about 6 years and I remember that crazy picture of Jack Lambert showing up on tv all of the time. The Steelers built their reputation on this one toothless bloody face. That guy could have literally eaten TE.

we need to hunt down a bunch of that guy

I think they may be too soft for any coast. What is that, about 35 people to the IR over the past two seasons? Maybe they need to eat some Wheaties instead of Honey Nut T.O.'s for a change. Either they have had an unbelievable string of bad luck health wise or something is terribly wront at OBD.

The players don't put themselves on I.R. The team puts them there.

This is a strength and conditioning issue, and to some small extent, a strategic issue. Like when we put Poz on the I.R. last year thinking that he might come back near the end of the year but that we were too short at the time to wait.

But largely you go on I.R. when you are seriously enough injured that you are basically useless for the rest of the season.

And it is NOT a coincidence when the team's two highest years for I.R. are 2007 and 2009. It means there is a problem with the strength and conditioning system at One Bills Drive. Watch, the S&C coach, Allaire will be gone at the end of the season, for good reason.

And it is NOT a result of small guys. The Bears (who have Rusty Jones as S&C coach) run the same defensive system with small guys and they have eight guys on I.R. The Colts also run the same system and also have eight guys on I.R. The Bucs also run the same system and they have 13 guys on I.R. Nobody close to the Bills at 18.

And no, it has nothing to do with hard practices, because that has never been shown to have any correlation whatsoever to injury rate.

For Christ's Sake.

The number of people on IR is far less important than WHO they are and WHY they ended up there!!

LINK (though not updated for Trent and Byrd)

I went to the other thread and read your post there, and it is at best arguable.

You say that some guys are put on I.R. to open up a roster space? No, EVERYONE on I.R. is put there to open up a roster space. That's the whole point of I.R. And you also said that guys (and I'm only grabbing the two quickest examples) with a torn ACL and a torn meniscus were put on I.R. to open up roster space. How can you say that? Those injuries are season-ending on any team.

Is McGee a marginal player? Byrd? Guys who are marginal don't get put there more than cornerstone guys, because if they were all that replaceable, they would simply have been replaced. The coaching staff likes them better than anyone else around.

New guys have to learn the systems and we end up with Incognito-type situations where a guy who is a pretty good lineman looks pretty bad and allows a couple of easy sacks because he doesn't know the system well enough yet.

I went to the other thread and read your post there, and it is at best arguable.

You say that some guys are put on I.R. to open up a roster space? No, EVERYONE on I.R. is put there to open up a roster space. That's the whole point of I.R. And you also said that guys (and I'm only grabbing the two quickest examples) with a torn ACL and a torn meniscus were put on I.R. to open up roster space. How can you say that? Those injuries are season-ending on any team.

Is McGee a marginal player? Byrd? Guys who are marginal don't get put there more than cornerstone guys, because if they were all that replaceable, they would simply have been replaced. The coaching staff likes them better than anyone else around.

New guys have to learn the systems and we end up with Incognito-type situations where a guy who is a pretty good lineman looks pretty bad and allows a couple of easy sacks because he doesn't know the system well enough yet.

So, by your own admission, the guys I've listed as moved exclusively for roster reasons fall outside the realm of S and R.

Yet, you continue to mention Byrd, ignoring the fact that his injury was sustained in college.

You also insist that the injuries that result from getting the back of your knee rolled can be accounted for and prevented.

I wish I had your address so I could mail you some straws for Christmas, looks like you're running out.