Buddy Nix

Thoughts?

I think amid all the talk of new GM's, and about how much our FO currently blows, we've forgotten that Buddy Nix just came in this past off-season from the chargers. He has a pretty damn good draft record (and if this first draft we've had with him pans out, then that just validates his ability to evaluate talent). Before he left the Chargers, there were talks of him possibly taking the Atlanta GM job.

Anybody have any insight on the possibility of him being our guy? I say the only knock on him right now is the lack of ACTUAL GM experience (he's mostly been a talent evaluator and college scout), and that he's getting up there in age.

Thoughts?

I think amid all the talk of new GM's, and about how much our FO currently blows, we've forgotten that Buddy Nix just came in this past off-season from the chargers. He has a pretty damn good draft record (and if this first draft we've had with him pans out, then that just validates his ability to evaluate talent). Before he left the Chargers, there were talks of him possibly taking the Atlanta GM job.

Anybody have any insight on the possibility of him being our guy? I say the only knock on him right now is the lack of ACTUAL GM experience (he's mostly been a talent evaluator and college scout), and that he's getting up there in age.

Yes, he was co-architect of the Chargers success, after having the late John Butler pass away he took over more of a personnel position and was running the drafts for them when he left. He also was one of our true, original members of the Bills brain trust- back when the Bills actually HAD a front office (Polian, Butler, Smith, and Nix).

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on last years draft, however, as it was stated that he was not in a position to help with last years draft since he came in after all/ most of the board was already assembled by his royal worthlessness Modrak and crew.

The true test will be this years draft after he has had a year in the system and been able to influence our decisions.

Nix is primarily in charge of the scouting the SEC conference. So, for all of those Tebow wet-dreamers, if we draft him its because somebody who knows something did it (Nix), or if we don't its because he ain't worth it (Nix says no). I trust Nix.

I actually would like to see him take over Modrak's role as Director of College Scouting, and give him free rein to hire and fire whoever he wants in the scouting ranks.

I would like to see someone like recently fired Kokinis take over Guy's post of pro personnel/ scouting; so as to eventually groom him to perhaps be a GM. Or someone like that dude over with the Giants. He was once with the Bills organization. Give this up-and-comer experience with pro personnel (after having developed success in the draft) to round out his training and prepare him for an eventual GM position with the Bills.

But all of that would start with hiring a top, proven, and experienced NFL GM. This person can train our new Director of Pro Personnel, and work alongside Nix and the coaching staff to put winners on this field. Nix will also be placed in charge of finding the next Polian's and Pioli's by mining the NFL for the best scouts.

To me, this is soooo much more important for the long term competitive viability of the Bills than any $10 million coaching hire.

Yes, he was co-architect of the Chargers success, after having the late John Butler pass away he took over more of a personnel position and was running the drafts for them when he left. He also was one of our true, original members of the Bills brain trust- back when the Bills actually HAD a front office (Polian, Butler, Smith, and Nix).

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on last years draft, however, as it was stated that he was not in a position to help with last years draft since he came in after all/ most of the board was already assembled by his royal worthlessness Modrak and crew.

The true test will be this years draft after he has had a year in the system and been able to influence our decisions.

Nix is primarily in charge of the scouting the SEC conference. So, for all of those Tebow wet-dreamers, if we draft him its because somebody who knows something did it (Nix), or if we don't its because he ain't worth it (Nix says no). I trust Nix.

I actually would like to see him take over Modrak's role as Director of College Scouting, and give him free rein to hire and fire whoever he wants in the scouting ranks.

I would like to see someone like recently fired Kokinis take over Guy's post of pro personnel/ scouting; so as to eventually groom him to perhaps be a GM. Or someone like that dude over with the Giants. He was once with the Bills organization. Give this up-and-comer experience with pro personnel (after having developed success in the draft) to round out his training and prepare him for an eventual GM position with the Bills.

But all of that would start with hiring a top, proven, and experienced NFL GM. This person can train our new Director of Pro Personnel, and work alongside Nix and the coaching staff to put winners on this field. Nix will also be placed in charge of finding the next Polian's and Pioli's by mining the NFL for the best scouts.

To me, this is soooo much more important for the long term competitive viability of the Bills than any $10 million coaching hire.

Excellent analysis and breakdown...I love the idea. :thumbsup:

Ralph seems to have a strong affinity for "known commodities", of which Nix is one, and age is all relative (in comparison to Ralph he's a baby). Nix has had almost a year to get reacclimated to the organization and begin making an impact.

It's also interesting that both Nix and Shanahan, who Russ sat down with for 7 hours, have AFC West connections and surely know each othe's body of work. I think the odds of Nix as the new GM are better than 50-50.