Charlie Weis takes shot at Pete Carroll?

DPR4444

Well, ND knew about Wies's proclivity toward foul language when they extended him - guess it was OK when he was winning.

Carroll, OTOH, shacking up with a grad student? Isn't there some 'moral turpitude' clause in his contract, or are SoCal hotties one of the perks of his gig?

Other than the occasional outrageous remark about fat girlfriends, you'd never see that type of behavior from the always entertaining...

Mike Leach

That being said, saying that Weis has done nothing is absurd. Let's start by the fact that he developed Tom Brady and Brady gives him all of the credit. They still stay in touch and Brady recently said that any team would be lucky to have him. Let's move on to Brady Quinn, who was horrible until Weis got there. If Weis never goes to ND, Quinn is lucky to get drafted. And now he's developed another QB in Clausen who will be the first QB picked in this years draft. Not to mention, he created and installed NE's offense which led them to 3 SBs.

So maybe you should take another look at his resume, it looks pretty friggen good to me.

Perhaps I was too flip and dismissive of Weis. Let me try to explain my opinion of him.

As a quarterbacks coach, I will give you that Weis is good. His pro experience helped him in college. I'm not convinced that Brady wouldn't have done well without him. I have read that Belichick used to sit in the quarterback meetings with Weis and Brady just as Parcells did with Bledsoe.

As an offensive coordinator, Weis (having served for years on Parcells' staff) was the latest caretaker of an offensive system that Parcells had used his whole coaching career with people like Ron Erhardt and Ray Handley running it for him. After that I believe Weis did the bidding of Bill Belichick. I basically think of Weis as a subordinate following orders. I believe you are wrong when you state that Weis "created NE's offense." As I see it, Belichick delegated to Weis (as Parcells did to Handley and Erhardt) the responsibility of implementing the system the head coach chose.

Belichick, like his mentor Parcells (in keeping with their megalomaniacal, autocratic style) was originally a defensive coach who became involved in the offensive side of football. It is well known that Belichick has always had the play calls routed through him and had the authority to change calls. It is also common knowledge that after Weis left, Belichick served as his own offensive coordinator. After he took over the Patriots, Belichick gradually evolved the offense from the Parcells model towards more of a spread passing attack in keeping at the forefront of developments in the modern game. It is documented that Belichick spent considerable amounts of past offseasons studying offense with the late Bill Walsh and also Urban Meyer. Belichick and his father's football library is legendary. He is a football scholar who decides what schemes he wants to use, tweaks them, and hires people who install them. Again, I believe that Weis is simply a product of having learned at the knee of both Parcells and Belichick, and having followed their orders.

As a head coach I feel Weis is a failure. He was 35-27 at Notre Dame despite having four straight consensus top twenty recruiting classes. Whatever people want to say about the difficulties of recruiting at Notre Dame, they have had highly-regarded recruiting classes. When he arrived at South Bend, Weis bragged that his Notre Dame teams would have a "decided schematic advantage" over his competition. Perhaps his extensive experience as a pro assistant gave him the edge he needed to get good offensive results against college competition and also to coach quarterbacks well.

Perhaps I'm not giving Weis enough credit. I think others give him too much credit. Time will tell.

Ironic because Carroll was blackballed from the NFL.

he wasn't blackballed he sucked. and since he has been in USC he hs been asked numerous times to back to an NFL job and he has decided not to. what makes you think he was blackballed?