Pocket or Flip camcorders

zow2

I just don't have the technical mind or patience to read and absorb hundreds of web reviews. Is there a really good one out there in the $125 range? What are the "must have" bells and whistles on these things? Just need one to shoot video of the kids and be able to put in on my computer and share easily with family. Would like to view it in HD as well. I'm currently using a dinosaur VHS-C camcorder and need to get into the 21st century. Thanks for your help!

I just don't have the technical mind or patience to read and absorb hundreds of web reviews. Is there a really good one out there in the $125 range? What are the "must have" bells and whistles on these things? Just need one to shoot video of the kids and be able to put in on my computer and share easily with family. Would like to view it in HD as well. I'm currently using a dinosaur VHS-C camcorder and need to get into the 21st century. Thanks for your help!

Who are you planning to spy on? :thumbsup:

Remember in the early days of the interweb when those ads for the X-10, "hidden wireless camera" would pop up every 30 seconds? :thumbsup:

My wife got me a Flip camera for my b-day. Pretty basic and fairly cheap; good picture quality and very easy to use/download videos, weak zoom capability is the main drawback.

Remember in the early days of the interweb when those ads for the X-10, "hidden wireless camera" would pop up every 30 seconds? :thumbsup:

My wife got me a Flip camera for my b-day. Pretty basic and fairly cheap; good picture quality and very easy to use/download videos, weak zoom capability is the main drawback.

Seconded.

I got one last year and the picture quality is surprisingly good...even when it's not completely still. I want to say its 720p but I'm not certain.

The biggest quality is probably the ease with which you can transfer, edit and sort your videos as well as combine them to make movies. I have the Flip Mino one and the software is very basic and has some drawbacks, but for someone who wants something pretty idiot proof, I'd highly recommend it. You can do things like splice videos together, add music, add a title page, credits, etc. Not too much more though...

Also agree on the zoom. Not too much going on there. Also, mine has the annoying tendency to freeze every so often. Usually I just have to hold the power button in for a minute and it resets. But it can be irritating if you are trying to film something quick.

Overall, I'd recommend one in lieu of a serious video camera if you want an easy, accessible way to shoot good quality video and perhaps create some decent home movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some minimal investigating. The Kodak Zi8 is the only flip style one I found so far with image stabilization. The Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10 is also a pocket style camcorder with image stabilization. They call that one a pistol-style grip.

Anyone else know which ones have image stabilization and are at least 720p

Here's a report by the Cincinnati Enquirer consumer reporter, John Matarese:

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshow...1FSIR0mhcw.cspx