Interesting Parallels Between Fisher/Fewell

K-9

Both started out coaching D backs in the league.

Fisher, then DC for the Oilers, takes over as interim HC in November 1994 after Pardee is fired. Fewell, then DC for the Bills, takes over as interim HC in November 2009. Both teams were energized by the change. Players responded to Fisher, players seem to be responding to Fewell.

Fisher not the most popular choice to be named permanent HC by most fans, nor is Fewell currently with most Bills fans.

Fisher drafts his QB of the future in McNair in his first draft. Will Fewell be allowed to do the same?

Bills have better overall talent (when healthy) than Fisher's early teams who were starting to show their age. Fewell won't have to worry about moving to another city and being a nomad for a couple seasons if he were to be named HC, either.

If Fewell can continue to spark this team he deserves serious consideration just as Fisher received from the Oilers/Titans. Can/will history repeat?

GO BILLS!!!

As a footnote, Pardee was fired and Fisher hired...by Floyd Reese, who is looking to become an NFL GM again. He's currrently working (most feel temporarily) as a senior consultant with Belichick and the Patriots.

Upon hiring Fisher, Reese subsequently drafted Steve McNair and Eddie George and the Oilers/Titans were on the way to excellence.

As a footnote, Pardee was fired and Fisher hired...by Floyd Reese, who is looking to become an NFL GM again. He's currrently working (most feel temporarily) as a senior consultant with Belichick and the Patriots.

Upon hiring Fisher, Reese subsequently drafted Steve McNair and Eddie George and the Oilers/Titans were on the way to respectability.

Fixed it for you.

Interesting. Some differences to keep in mind:

Oilers were coming off seven straight playoff seasons when Pardee was fired. The Bills ... aren't.

Fisher took over a 1-9 team and went 1-5. Fewell took over a 3-6 team and has gone 1-1.

Fisher was 36 when he became the head coach. Fewell is 47.

I would be happy if the Bills hired Floyd Reese as GM and let him pick the next coach. If he chooses to keep Fewell (and is not forced to do so), I would be on board.

Of course, Reese was also "in charge" when the Titans drafted Adam "Pacman" Jones, and also pulled the trigger on the trade with the Bills for Travis Henry ... and we know how those decisions turned out. Hopefully, he's learned his lesson, and now knows that character DOES matter as much as talent.

Upon hiring Fisher, Reese subsequently drafted Steve McNair and Eddie George and the Oilers/Titans were on the way to excellence.

And Fisher (while with the Houston Oilers before the move) had an aging 2-time Pro-Bowl QB on the team - Chris Chandler - who led the team to 7-9 in '95 and 8 - 8 in '96. Not bad, and provided a fertile field for McNair to learn the ropes.

He also had Eddie George for 8 years - who in my opinion, was very, very good at converting a 3rd down.

I don't think Floyd Reese is all that. IMHO Buddy Nix is a better football guy. We need someone who is a football czar type of person who can see the big picture.

I think the guy we want is an Ernie Accorsi/Ozzie Newsome type of guy. The pro personnel person in the Giants organization, can't remember his name now, might be that guy. I'm not convinced Mike Holmgren is that person either. If Phil Savage hadn't had that meltdown in Cleveland, I'd be rooting for him.

But as it is, I really think our options are limited. Maybe one of the Muellers - Randy or Rick. Possibly Charlie Casserly. But given that in terms of results - the Ravens and Giants organization has had the best FO plans, I'd look there.

C