Jon Runyan to run for office in the house

Magox

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...challenge-adler

Former Philadelphia Eagle Jon Runyan will challenge Rep. John Adler (D-N.J.), but first he will make a brief NFL comeback next year.

Runyan said late Tuesday that he has signed on for the rest of the season with the San Diego Chargers, but that the games will be his last. He said he will indeed pursue a run against Adler once the season is done.

While it will prevent him from getting an earlier start, Runyan's season should be over by early February at the latest. That will allow him nine months to run the race.

Here is Runyan's statement: "Yesterday, I received an offer to pursue my professional dream of winning a Super Bowl, and have decided to sign with the San Diego Chargers for the remainder of this season through the playoffs. Win or lose, these will be my final games as an NFL player. Last night, I personally informed the Republican County Chairmen in NJ's 3rd Congressional District that after the season is over I plan to officially retire from football and pursue a campaign for the United States Congress. I want to thank all of the people who have been encouraging me to run next year and let them know that I look forward to a successful end to my career on the field, and a spirited campaign against Congressman Adler in 2010."