Central New York & Western New York State Accents!

I was in a taxi in LA probably 10-15 years after I moved there. I was talking with the driver a bit and he asked me "so when did you move here from Buffalo" I asked how he would tell he said he used to visit there and picked it up. I still have it a bit but you can tell the big difference between my brother and I seeing he's lived in WNY all his life and I moved away nearly 30 years ago when I was 19. I think it's funnier than hell when I go back to visit and listen to the local news.

Masiello has the Buffalo accent.

Anyone ever see the movie "You Kill Me" with Ben Kingsley? Supposed to be a Polish mob hitman from Buffalo, lol...anyway...

I think it was Bill Pullman who was his Buffalo mob contact when Kingsley went to California... someone coached Pullman pretty well on the Buffalo accent and he sounded a bit like Masiello.

Pullman comes by his naturally--he grew up in Hornell in the Southern Tier. My mom lived on his street and used to baby sit him and his siblings.....

The only part in ND was when they caught Lundergard in the motel in Fargo.

I had a boss that grew up in MN. She said the hicks in MN speak like they did in the movie.

Yeah, my bad. Still my point was that Minneapolis to Northern Minnesota is the same as Long Island is to Buffalo. People from Long Island have a totally different accent than the people in Western NY. Minneapolis has more in common with Buffalo than it does with Northern Minnesota. I guess I am guilty of assuming everyone knew that, my apologies for that Fezmid.

Why are you maykin fun of the waay we taak upstayte? I seen someone at Wahmart taakin like that and asked 'em where they was from. They said Chicago. Mingia, wierd huh? You posted this and thaat you were funny din't ya? Mingia, I don't know why you think it's so crayzy ta taak like that. I hope this thread is gahn by Mondey. I orght to wersh your mouth out wiith soap.

I don't know why youz have to say that fur. :unsure:

That accent isnt found from Erie, Pa to past Toledo, Oh.

That area of PA has an accent that sounds like a Canadian accent minus the ay's and abouts. Jim Kelly is one example of that accent. My guess is that has is something to do with the Scottish and Irish settling in both places (CA. and PA.).

That very same Great Lakes accent is common in the Cleveland area. In fact, some Cleveland people have a very pronounced way of saying huh. It is very nasal and very extended. I used to live in Ohio. There are clear differences between north, central and southern Ohio. By the time you get to Columbus you run into southern and Appalachian accents. One example is that some would say please instead of excuse me or pardon me.

I read an article a few years ago that the nasal twang as it is known in Buffalo is due to (blamed on) the Germans. However, there have been a large influx of numerous accents in Buffalo and the Great Lake region primarily from Europe.

Some other accent and language differences:

In Buffalo, we say orange like orenge whereas in the eastern part of the state they say it like arenge. My sister was taking acting lessens a number of years ago and they were teaching that the eastern accent is "correct".

It is widely known that in Buffalo and the north we say pop whereas most others say soda, then clarify which one. In the south, they call it all Coke. Also in the south some say RC (the cola) like "Are-a" C!

Buffalo people still say something is "corny". It sounds so "Leave It To Beaver"! I don't know of anybody from anywhere else that uses that expression.

I never noticed it until a friend in California pointed it out but I say "I would like a cupa coffee" instead of a cup of coffee. When we are so used to our own accent it isn't clear to what degree we standout. The Buffalo accent is similar to those throughout the Great Lakes but we also have the influence of being close to Canada and NYC. I have had people confuse my accent with Boston. I went down to Knoxville, Tennessee a number of years back and the locals were all over my accent!

I meet a lot of people from all over with my job. Sometimes, I can pick off where people are from after about three words. Intoxication brings out the old accents!

I live in san Diego and people think I have a Midwest accent as I hail from WNY. I find some of the san Diegans have sort of a drawl to their tone as well --no accent per se but a definite difference. anyone else from socal notice this?

Some in North County have a way of saying their A sounds like they do in Orange County and L.A. (especially San Fernando Valley). Their way of saying yeah sounds like ya. As in "like ya", made famous by the ladies especially! Drew Barrymore says A in this same way. Some in East County have a drawl sound to their speech (Lakeside, Santee). And as for Linda Vista, Mira Mesa and San Ysidro, well, you know about it (Vietnamese, Filipino, Spanish, etc.)! Then there is there is the overdosing on "bro", "my brother", "dude" and "no worries" especially, in the beach areas! Homey seems to be wearing off a little. Some in University City and Coronado stand out because they are very articulate (less um and you know). But San Diego accents can be very hard to pin down because of there being so many transplants and offspring of transplants. We tend to talk like the first people we hear - our parents.

My sister has lived in NYC for a long time. She and her friends can not only distinguish borough speech differences but also by neighborhoods within boroughs.

That area of PA has an accent that sounds like a Canadian accent minus the ay's and abouts. Jim Kelly is one example of that accent. My guess is that has is something to do with the Scottish and Irish settling in both places (CA. and PA.).

That very same Great Lakes accent is common in the Cleveland area. In fact, some Cleveland people have a very pronounced way of saying huh. It is very nasal and very extended. I used to live in Ohio. There are clear differences between north, central and southern Ohio. By the time you get to Columbus you run into southern and Appalachian accents. One example is that some would say please instead of excuse me or pardon me.

I read an article a few years ago that the nasal twang as it is known in Buffalo is due to (blamed on) the Germans. However, there have been a large influx of numerous accents in Buffalo and the Great Lake region primarily from Europe.

Some other accent and language differences:

In Buffalo, we say orange like orenge whereas in the eastern part of the state they say it like arenge. My sister was taking acting lessens a number of years ago and they were teaching that the eastern accent is "correct".

It is widely known that in Buffalo and the north we say pop whereas most others say soda, then clarify which one. In the south, they call it all Coke. Also in the south some say RC (the cola) like "Are-a" C!

Buffalo people still say something is "corny". It sounds so "Leave It To Beaver"! I don't know of anybody from anywhere else that uses that expression.

I never noticed it until a friend in California pointed it out but I say "I would like a cupa coffee" instead of a cup of coffee. When we are so used to our own accent it isn't clear to what degree we standout. The Buffalo accent is similar to those throughout the Great Lakes but we also have the influence of being close to Canada and NYC. I have had people confuse my accent with Boston. I went down to Knoxville, Tennessee a number of years back and the locals were all over my accent!

I meet a lot of people from all over with my job. Sometimes, I can pick off where people are from after about three words. Intoxication brings out the old accents!

So endeth the lesson.

I find it hard to believe if you move back to buffalo or any particualr region with an accent that you can pick it back up again.. Has this happened to anyone?

My wife says if we stay "home" too long (read: 7 days or longer) I pick it back up a bit. I find (even though I have no Italian American heritage) that "mingia" works its way back into my vernacular... it's a big Jimmytown thing I'm told. :lol: