Greenspan Cautions on Baby Boomer Benefits

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...bi_ge/greenspan

In his remarks, Greenspan said that the projected doubling of the U.S. population over the age of 65 by 2035 would add to the government's budget deficit woes.

But he said it was important to be careful in how those deficits were addressed. He said that relying entirely on an increase in the payroll tax on workers to deal with the funding shortfall in Social Security and Medicare would make it more costly for employers to hire workers.

Greenspan said policymakers must consider all the economic impacts that changes in the government's two biggest benefit programs would entail such as the effect on retirement decisions, the size of the labor force and the saving behavior of Americans.

Greenspan acknowledged that any decisions to trim benefits or boost payroll taxes could be difficult politically, but he said those decisions must be made and made quickly to give baby boomers time to adjust.

So here is willing to work to 75 and considering number of younger people who will not be able to get work if older workers do not retire, how will that help economy?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...bi_ge/greenspan

So here is willing to work to 75 and considering number of younger people who will not be able to get work if older workers do not retire, how will that help economy?

9117[/snapback]

Whoa, didn't see this coming. Especially with Congress taking money from SS to pay for other failed programs.

Just toss more money at it, and the problem will go away.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Baby boomers gave us reject authority, don't spank your kids, drugs are cool, Dr. Spock, a broken nuclear family, hippies, and a deep hole in Social Security that goes all the way to China.

I say make the BABY BOOMERS pay for their own stupidity in higher taxes! They stole their Social Security fund money AND mine AND soon to by my son's.

After Social Security is funded again sufficiently, we'll end the high tax and throw a party. THERE. PROBLEM SOLVED!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

<_<