[link]The Curse of the Preposterous Punt

Golden Wheels

Buffalo launched yet another Preposterous Punt, punting on fourth-and-5 from the 35-yard line of the defending champion Patriots with the game scoreless and a two-mile-per hour wind. It took New England just four snaps to pass the point where the Patriots would have gotten the ball had the Bills gone for the first and failed, or attempted a field goal and missed. Buffalo had lost its previous four trips to New England and needed to score early; anyway you can't dance with the champ, you must knock him down. That Buffalo keeps punting inside the opponents' 40-yard line signals a bizarre lack of commitment to winning on the part of the two successive Bills head coaches. That Drew Bledsoe passively trudged off the field with his head hanging low as the punt unit came on, rather than demand the Bills go for it, signals the great Bledsoe's career is over. Imagine how Brett Favre would have reacted if coaches sent in the punter on fourth-and-5 from the opponent's 35 with the game scoreless!

Tuesday Morning Quarterback

Personally I think that these punts show a (justified) lack of faith in the kicker and (usually justified) faith in the defense. The kind of game that I think Mularkey wants to play is really a field position game. If we had a better kicker I would be angry about punting, but I can't say I have any confidence in Lindell trying a 52-yarder.