Buff News- Maturing Talent jells for Texans- compared to Bills

Red

Red, Another name you can add to your list as good candidates to take over the football operations is Floyd Reese. He was involved in rebuilding Tenn into a very strong organization. Although they are struggling somewhat this year. He got caught up in a power struggle with the HC, Fischer, and he is now working with the Pats.

A few years ago when covering the draft as an NFL analyst he made the cogent and mocking observation about the Bills' draft and personnel decisions: He said: I'm sure they have a plan but I haven't figured it out. Everyone on the panel laughed at his on the mark assessment on how the Bills operate. There is no direction and structure on how they make decisions. :wallbash:

So sad, but true.

I would add Reese in a heartbeat. The Titans have been one of the most consistently tough, competitive teams in the NFL the past decade. Reese is certainly a big part of that.

I agree that Ralph is the one in charge of all of this. I know that Darth Donahoe and his iron grasp of the franchise terrified Ralph into fractionalizing the power structure of the Bills front office. It took him 5 years to realize that Donahoe was the problem, but I think it can safely be said that "GM-by-committee", as the Bills FO currently operates, is just as bad.

Ralph overreacted and threw the baby (a central football GM in charge of football operations) out with the proverbial bathwater (the Donahoe regime).

But I am still scratching my head over what Ralph sees in Modrak and Guy to have kept them on since Donahoe's departure.

Reese would be a solid addition.

another case in point:

If one should travel to www.drafthistory.com, and look up the Buffalo Bills, one should look at years 2000-2005 to further my point of how the Bills have been hurt by their extreme inability to draft.

In the years 2000-2005, the Bills currently have 6 players out of 50 players the Bills drafted, still playing with the team.

The names are: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Reed, Parrish, and McGee.

That is all rounds, 1-12 (later rounds in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003).

Can't win by drafting so poorly.

Modrak should be gone.

another case in point:

If one should travel to www.drafthistory.com, and look up the Buffalo Bills, one should look at years 2000-2005 to further my point of how the Bills have been hurt by their extreme inability to draft.

In the years 2000-2005, the Bills currently have 6 players out of 50 players the Bills drafted, still playing with the team.

The names are: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Reed, Parrish, and McGee.

That is all rounds, 1-12 (later rounds in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003).

Can't win by drafting so poorly.

Modrak should be gone.

True, check out my draft post on FO suckitude. And i didn't even go beyond 2004. There's not much on our roster from those drafts, particularly the high picks 1-3. You cannot afford to miss on too many of those. You get a few late round gems here and there, but 1-3 are quality rounds. We have been terrible in this regard, and very poor at drafting big players. We've done OK at the skill positions, but every team has those and aside from a few real elite guys, they're mostly interchangeable. Our drafts have failed to produce quality linemen, which aside from the QB are the most important players on the field. And it's not like quality linemen weren't available to us. Sometimes we chose the worst lineman by far in the round-others are productive players. Other times we chose a skill position player over a lineman. This reeks of a FO on the cheap. Elite DE's and OT's command a premium throughout their careers, and they don't sell tickets. We appear under directive to draft "exciting" WR's and RB's high, and skimp on line players. The skill positions will still make a few plays in each game to keep the fans interested and buying tickets.Even without big investment in the line. You just won't win many games. This is penny wise and pound foolish, as the lines have such a dearth of talent (particularly OL) that we must overpay average guards and tackles in FA to fill the gaps.