OT- HDTV help

gflande1

My wife and I have decided to get rid of cable. We are currently paying $120.00 for cable and road runner. Its not all about about the money though. I have become a couch potato, and am falling behind in school. TV has become a major distraction. Anyways, we arent getting rid of tv entirely. We want the standard channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX). I understand that I can get a receiver for my HDTV that will allow me to receive my local HDTV channels for free. Anyone have experience with this? I would prefer a indoor antenna instead of a big ugly one outside. I have checked with Antennaweb.org and they show all of the above channels within 16.9 miles. The site recommends a red Antenna type.

Also, what is a good, inexpensive receiver.

Thanks

I recommend the Samsung that Directv currrently offers especially if you want to get the Bills games on the ticket. In order to receive the off-air HDTV signals you still need a receiver (along w/ your HD ready TV). This particular receiver seemlessly blends the offair antenna channels with the DTV channels, a combination of HD and digital channels. Its about $300 but I believe you can get it for cheaper if you go through one of your local independent satellite providers. Should come w/ 3 regular room receivers, dish, and off air HD antenna all installed. Good luck.

I'm not sure where you live, but in Rochester, Buffalo & Syracuse, this is a great site:

http://www.rochesterhdtv.com/

I live a bit closer to the tower than you, but not by much. I recently purchased an OTA Samsung SIR-T151 reciever ($100) and a Silver Sensor indoor antenna ($20) on ebay and have not been at all disappointed with the results. Make sure you have an HD capable display device and maybe even a Dolby 5.1 receiver and you will not believe the difference in the picture and sound quality. I look at it as a great stop-gap until HD content becomes the norm (and cheaper) via cable and sattelite.

The only issue is that CBS is too cheap to install the necessary equipment to broadcast HD locally in Rochester, meaning no Bills games - they are the last holdout of the 4 networks. In Buffalo, this is not an issue. I'm not sure I'd want to watch most Bills away games in HD right now anyway! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have, as I just went through this and got everything set up about a month ago. PM me if you like.