The Barry MVP NO. 7

millbank

Barry Bonds long ago staked his claim as one of the greatest ballplayers in history, and at times the Giants slugger seemingly can only top himself for Major League honors.

He did it again on Monday, capturing his unprecedented fourth consecutive National League Most Valuable Player Award and seventh overall, records only the 40-year-old veteran can boast. Bonds received 24 of 32 first-place votes,MVP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the best baseball player I've ever seen, bar none.

If he wasn't such an ass to the writers, he'd have nine MVPs right now. (Terry Pendleton in 1991 and Jeff Kent in 2000 were flat-out jokes. Bonds deserved both of those by a wide margin.)

That award means nothing anymore.

Adrian Beltre should have been the MVP.

118531[/snapback]

The Dodgers might not have been a contender without Beltre, but the Giants wouldn't have beaten some Triple A teams without Bonds. Anyone who thinks Beltre could have taken the Giants where Bonds did this year needs to have his head examined.

Yeah, because Beltre would have had the Giants sniffing the playoffs and Bonds wouldn't have helped the Dodgers nearly as much.  :P

118533[/snapback]

You act like the Giants are Barry Bonds and a bunch of minor leaguers. I've got news for you, there are other quality players there.

An MVP is the player most valuable to his team. I think one of the criteria for the award should be that you get your team into the playoffs. Who cares if Bonds had them "sniffing" the playoffs. They didn't make it, so their season wasn't any better then some loser team that finished 50 games below .500.

Like I said, it's a joke.

An MVP is the player most valuable to his team.  I think one of the criteria for the award should be that you get your team into the playoffs.  Who cares if Bonds had them "sniffing" the playoffs.  They didn't make it, so their season wasn't any better then some loser team that finished 50 games below .500.

118541[/snapback]

OK, then.

Let's strip Stan Musial of the 1948 NL MVP even though he had one of the best seasons in baseball history, because the Cardinals didn't make the postseason and therefore who cares what Musial did that year?

Let's strip Keith Hernandez of his share of the 1979 NL MVP even though he hit .344 and fielded his position better than anyone in baseball ever has, because the Cardinals didn't make the postseason and therefore who cares what Hernandez did that year?

Changing your tune yet, BF?

You act like the Giants are Barry Bonds and a bunch of minor leaguers.  I've got news for you, there are other quality players there.

An MVP is the player most valuable to his team.  I think one of the criteria for the award should be that you get your team into the playoffs.  Who cares if Bonds had them "sniffing" the playoffs.  They didn't make it, so their season wasn't any better then some loser team that finished 50 games below .500.

Like I said, it's a joke.

118541[/snapback]

The idiocy of that post is actually beyond the word.

OK, then.

Let's strip Stan Musial of the 1948 NL MVP even though he had one of the best seasons in baseball history, because the Cardinals didn't make the postseason and therefore who cares what Musial did that year?

Let's strip Keith Hernandez of his share of the 1979 NL MVP even though he hit .344 and fielded his position better than anyone in baseball ever has, because the Cardinals didn't make the postseason and therefore who cares what Hernandez did that year?

Changing your tune yet, BF?

118561[/snapback]

Nope.

Look up his numbers obp, av, slgp, wlk, rbi, hts and hrs and then try to make the case that he doesn't deserve this award.  No one else even compares.  Didn't Arod win an MVP with Texas 2 years ago?

118571[/snapback]

Yeah and when he did there was a large uproar for the same reason I have a problem today.

Yeah and when he did there was a large uproar for the same reason I have a problem today.

118577[/snapback]

Madre de Dios, BF. The Rangers finished dead fuggin last and A-Rod didn't play in a meaningful game all year. THAT'S why people were pissed that he won the MVP. Bonds played in meaningful games right up through the last weekend of the season, and a large part of the reason the team was playing in meaningful games was Bonds himself.

You're comparing apples and oranges.