Starting NFL QBs

rpcolosi

This is based off of today's starting QBs. JMO after glancing down the scores for the NFL.

Clearly better than trent - Mannging x's 2, Favre, Brees, Mcnabb, Rothelisberger, Rodgers, Palmer, Schaub, Flacco, Brady, Warner, Cutler, Ryan, Rivers

about the same (in terms of current ability - not upside or past skills) - Cassel (dont argue he hasn't done crap without Belli), Orton, Hassleback (shades of his former self), Garrard, bulger (see hassleback), collins (last year was overblown, look at his numbers).

clearly worse - russell, stafford, josh johnson, campbell, delhomme, anderson/quinn fiasco, sanchez, and whoever the phins are starting

does this translate to more wins? probably not with the current staff. Orton is doing wonders with a better coach and has far greater limits than TE.

my point is this. 1.) anyone on here arguing for Fitz needs to look at his career numbers. He is NOT good. Even TE's best games aren't great, but Fitz's are horrible. Read Sulli's last article 2.) With a new coaching staff trent can actually get the chance to throw the slant and plays that focus on the middle of the field 3.) Hope he can man the fort until we DRAFT a good qb... Fitz, Garcia, Quinn are NOT the answer

This is based off of today's starting QBs. JMO after glancing down the scores for the NFL.

Clearly better than trent - Mannging x's 2, Favre, Brees, Mcnabb, Rothelisberger, Rodgers, Palmer, Schaub, Flacco, Brady, Warner, Cutler, Ryan, Rivers

about the same (in terms of current ability - not upside or past skills) - Cassel (dont argue he hasn't done crap without Belli), Orton, Hassleback (shades of his former self), Garrard, bulger (see hassleback), collins (last year was overblown, look at his numbers).

clearly worse - russell, stafford, josh johnson, campbell, delhomme, anderson/quinn fiasco, sanchez, and whoever the phins are starting

does this translate to more wins? probably not with the current staff. Orton is doing wonders with a better coach and has far greater limits than TE.

my point is this. 1.) anyone on here arguing for Fitz needs to look at his career numbers. He is NOT good. Even TE's best games aren't great, but Fitz's are horrible. Read Sulli's last article 2.) With a new coaching staff trent can actually get the chance to throw the slant and plays that focus on the middle of the field 3.) Hope he can man the fort until we DRAFT a good qb... Fitz, Garcia, Quinn are NOT the answer

Obviously you did not watch us play the Fins, or the Fins game against the Jets where Henne played strongly.

The problem isn't the physical attributes, it's the mental. Edwards has regressed so far mentally on this team he isn't as good as Delhomme or Stafford from your list (Stafford played on a bum knee this week and was noticeably limping before and after the game).

Now with the concussion his head might not be in the game at all. Did you notice Trent had pocket awareness at one time and not getting sacked? He's a sack machine.

Lastly, you cannot go by career numbers of anyone except if they are overwhelmingly positive. QBs can and do evolve for better or worse more so than any position. Guys like Warner, Delhomme, Gannon, Garcia, et al. looked much worse in their beginnings than when they matured. Am I saying Fitz is the answer? That would be lunacy, but to assume that he can't play better because of past numbers is not a mature explanation. It would be like comparing Delhomme's career numbers to the interception machine he is this year.

Trent needs a new coach and a new team. Jauron isn't doing him any favors. He's definitely a talented guy, but he's bell has been rung twice now (very bad precursor) and he isn't playing an NFL game as a QB.

Let me ask you this, when was the last time you've seen Trent throw the ball 10-15 yards on a pattern over the guys shoulder than isn't a bomb? NFL QBs do it all the time, you know, the pass where only the WR can catch where they get slightly ahead of the DB. Trent either throws it on a rope or a bomb. He's lacking the entire game, and I believe it's mental and this isn't the team for him to grow into it unless we dump the Dick today.

That was a good laugh. Nice try. I would take almost all of them over Trent. And you know its bad when your only supporters are defending you by saying: Hey, at least he's better than... 5 other QBs.

....and Derek Anderson...can't argue that a 2-17 performance is just a little worse than TE :P

Not really. Anderson had a 2007 season that is still better than all of Trent's career combined. Against us he had like 9 dropped passes, and was playing without his only threat after that bizarre trade. Basically, if you give a gunslinger like Anderson TO and Evans...who knows what could happen. He could have a 2007 like performance, or a 2008 Losman like performance... regardless, thats a chance I'd be willing to take considering we KNOW what were getting with trentative checkwards

Obviously you did not watch us play the Fins, or the Fins game against the Jets where Henne played strongly.

The problem isn't the physical attributes, it's the mental. Edwards has regressed so far mentally on this team he isn't as good as Delhomme or Stafford from your list (Stafford played on a bum knee this week and was noticeably limping before and after the game).

Now with the concussion his head might not be in the game at all. Did you notice Trent had pocket awareness at one time and not getting sacked? He's a sack machine.

Lastly, you cannot go by career numbers of anyone except if they are overwhelmingly positive. QBs can and do evolve for better or worse more so than any position. Guys like Warner, Delhomme, Gannon, Garcia, et al. looked much worse in their beginnings than when they matured. Am I saying Fitz is the answer? That would be lunacy, but to assume that he can't play better because of past numbers is not a mature explanation. It would be like comparing Delhomme's career numbers to the interception machine he is this year.

Trent needs a new coach and a new team. Jauron isn't doing him any favors. He's definitely a talented guy, but he's bell has been rung twice now (very bad precursor) and he isn't playing an NFL game as a QB.

Let me ask you this, when was the last time you've seen Trent throw the ball 10-15 yards on a pattern over the guys shoulder than isn't a bomb? NFL QBs do it all the time, you know, the pass where only the WR can catch where they get slightly ahead of the DB. Trent either throws it on a rope or a bomb. He's lacking the entire game, and I believe it's mental and this isn't the team for him to grow into it unless we dump the Dick today.

\

appreciate your thoughts, just disagree on who people would take over trent, thats all. I agree with a lot of it and I think he'd be better served with another team and coaching staff. Its obvious he isnt seeing the field as well as he did earlier in his career and can't feel pressure as well either. my major concern is the play calling, as it has since Dick got here, and before him wiht mularkey and williams. maybe its the OC or lack of a top 10 qb, i can't say...

this team's offense has since kelly left, taken on the identity of it's OC. under willams and bledose, we couldn't throw a screen pass to save our life. the idea of throwing to the TE was for naught. Under mularkey and losman it was a solid running game with no ability to consistently pass, though I would have liked to see JP with evans and TO, it would have been interesting...... but now we are with what Schonert has given us - and that has been a series of passing schemes that basically do not use the deep middle of the field (10-15 yds past LOS). The catch by lee today was maybe 10 yards beyond the LOS before he broke it. Until now, the idea of a slant or a 10 yard curl and go was non existent. Do i think that AVP just came up with it? probably not. Its more likely trent doesn't read it.

All in all - he hasn't always been a check down guy. I think the system and coach staff has moved us that way. All you have to do is look at Jauron in Chicago. his offense was the SAME FREAKING THING. solid running game, BS passing. Listen to TO for goodness sake - they are going with the plays that are called. I honestly don't think TO and Lee are the first reads on a lof ot them. thats why it's popgun. Watch TO's body language, on 2/3s of hte passing plays he is slouching, knowing he is a decoy or going to block. aghhh im frustrated in japan on a navy base... but hey at least we won

2.) With a new coaching staff trent can actually get the chance to throw the slant and plays that focus on the middle of the field

On point 2... I saw plenty of slant plays yesterday... AFTER Trent went down. Why is that? Did AVP suddenly start calling different plays for Fitz? Doubt it.

Fitz ain't the answer, but if he comes in again and we "see" more of the playbook (not that he's successful, just that we see players "involved" more in our offensive) then we can rightly assume it's not just the coaching, but a true indictment of TE as well.

That was a good laugh. Nice try. I would take almost all of them over Trent. And you know its bad when your only supporters are defending you by saying: Hey, at least he's better than... 5 other QBs.

^^^ This.

You put the weapons we have on offense in anybody else's lap, the results would shock.

hell, I could put up 275 and 3 td's once in 16 games with these guys. The excuses are wearing thin.... and I like Trent.