CHange the QB/Coach Paradox

Malazan

I keep seeing this fancy of the moment all over these boards and I'm somewhat surprised by the lack of attention of the minds who are making decisions for the Bills. I've seen it range from Russ Brandon, to Trent Edwards, to Bobby April to Dick Jauron. They certainly all have fault on the current situation, but this is distracting and it's takes attention away from the constant...the "football" minds who have had say in the Bills decisions for many years now:

Jim Overdorf (really not sure why he isn't mentioned more)

Tom Modrak

John Guy

They have been here through TD, Marv and now Russ. It's obvious they have the "trust" of Ralph and likely don't exactly "answer" to Russ Brandon. However, this can quickly lead to losing focus on these guys. My point here is that it's unlikely anyone is going to Russ for his advice on players even if his name is on the dotted line, the decision is likely actually made elsewhere.

So hears how it ends up making the team worse. Let's say Brandon is replaced as the GM, Trent as the QB and Jauron as the coach. The question you have to ask is how does this actually "change" the Bills. We've had more aggressive coaches and QBs...same end result. We had a very experienced GM in TD, but the end result was still the same.

So maybe changing out Trent ends up winning us a couple games because Fitzpatrick "throws deep" or whatever level of awesome you want to assign to him (boy, the standards for awesome have changed). Rex Ryan is pretty aggressive as a coach and he *lost* to Dick Jauron.

This is the big mistake I see after today's game, "WOW, We won with Fitzpatrick! We never would have won with Edwards!"

Perhaps this is true, but the cat may be alive, it may be dead. We don't know. This line of thinking takes us away from the point though. It's the same team, the same end result. Let's focus on changing the guys who *decided* Trent Edwards was a good pick or failed to provide an environment for their picks to succeed.

Let's keep focused on the front office that needs to make a change to begin *actually* overhauling this team and not throwing a patch over the leaks.