Heading into the wind in the 2nd and 4th Qs FEZMID

Ralonzo

Bury the hatchet for a second. This is what I wanted to point out. You should have the option to defend a goal at SOME point. The Cleveland games of 2008/9, and today, I'm sure the Bills have somehow worked it out so they are into the wind in the 2nd and 4th Q's where it is most advantageous to have the wind. I don't think this is possible since the defer rule was adopted except through coaching incompetence.

If this is wrong, then explain to me why. I just want the one scenario where you're heading into the wind in the 2nd and 4th quarter through no choice of your own, because I don't think it's possible, especially in the scenario where the Bills win the toss and defer. You're a ref, explain it to me.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...04100843AAPXZw1

Situation: North and South Endzone Stadium. Wind is blowing directly to the NORTH very fast. The coach tells his player that if they loose the coin toss that he wants to defend the SOUTH GOAL. Home team losses the coin toss and the visiting team says that they will defer thier option to the second half. The home team captain says that he wants to defend the SOUTH endzone by doing so it keeps the wind at thier back for the 1st and 4th Quarters.(Although they can change thier mind at halftime) The visiting team then announces that they would like to RECEIVE the kick off. (or if they are stupid will announce that they want to kick)

At halftime the two team captains converge at midfield, and the visiting team has say in what they want to do either KICK, RECEIVE, or defend the NORTH or the SOUTH endzone. If they elect to RECEIVE then they have gotten the ball twice.

(This can also workout to a team getting the wind in the fourth quarter or kicking off twice. It can happen, and has in some HS games that had the coin toss rule like this.

I've run the scenarios: win, win & defer, lose... I just don't see where it should happen.