Coaches are to blame (to some extent)

jahnyc

The bottom line is that our team was not ready to play on both offense and defense.

MM was outcoached. The Pats game plan on offense was to run at Schobel and to get their receivers in situations where they were covered by our free safety (Reese or Baker). They did both effectively.

Going in to the game, we knew that the Pats had problems in the secondary and on the offensive line, yet we were unable to exploit these weaknesses. Our passing game was terrible and our pass rush was infeffective. The Pats were creative. They found a way to exploit our defense, which had been playing well up until this game. In contrast, the Bills were unable to exploit weaknesses that were much more obvious.

I agree that DB played poorly, but I think our game plan left much to be desired on both sides of the ball. I don't have much confidence that MM will be able to match up against Bill in terms of coaching skill in the near future.

The bottom line is that our team was not ready to play on both offense and defense. 

MM was outcoached.  The Pats game plan on offense was to run at Schobel and to get their receivers in situations where they were covered by our free safety (Reese or Baker).  They did both effectively.

Going in to the game, we knew that the Pats had problems in the secondary and on the offensive line, yet we were unable to exploit these weaknesses.  Our passing game was terrible and our pass rush was infeffective.  The Pats were creative.  They found a way to exploit our defense, which had been playing well up until this game.  In contrast, the Bills were unable to exploit weaknesses that were much more obvious.

I agree that DB played poorly, but I think our game plan left much to be desired on both sides of the ball.  I don't have much confidence that MM will be able to match up against Bill in terms of coaching skill in the near future.

118119[/snapback]

No coach in this league matches up well with Belichick. I wouldn't expect our rookie HC to outcoach him.

Well, I am not sure I expected MM to outcoach Bill, but I did expect a focused game plan. After watching the game, I have no idea what we were trying to do on offense. Why couldn't we pass or run? I thought NE was vulnerable to the run and had significant injuries in the defensive backfield. What was our strategy on offense?