TMQ

BillsVet

Consensus is not how teams are built. All it does is attempt to appease multiple opinions and personalities and gets you average type players. From what I've read, Bill Polian fought hard to make the trade for Cornelius Bennett, while Marv Levy wasn't crazy about it at first. If consensus was used, perhaps Bennett does not wind up in Buffalo.

I'm sure guys like Jerry Reese (NYG) Polian, Tom Dimitroff (ATL), and AJ Smith aren't worried about building consensus. They're too busy running the personnel for a NFL team. A leader takes the recommendations from their advisors and makes the best decision for the team.

Donahoe may not have worked, but it's no reason to avoid finding someone who knows what they're doing for fear they could alienate others in the front office. It's not a popularity contest, it's the NFL.

Consensus isn't necessarily bad. Consensus among people that don't know what they are doing isn't so great though. Consensus among a group of yes-men that don't know what they are doing is a train wreck.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny but sad stuff:

"McCargo is a bust who has never started a game; Whitner is a journeyman-level performer, McKelvin and Posluszny are perennially injured. Meanwhile, Leonhard, Greer and Haggan are playing like stars for the Jets, Saints and Broncos, while Bannan is often on the field for the Ravens. Had Buffalo simply kept Leonhard, Greer, Haggan and Bannan and used the draft choices and money on other players, it might now be a real team. Time to recognize that Buffalo general manager Russ Brandon is Matt Millen: The Sequel."

TMQ 10/13/09

Buffalo is a talent Black Hole. Once they escape the gravitational pull of the Bills, players reach their full potential. The Bills organization needs a complete makeover. It can't be coincidence that myriads of players progress substantially once they escape the grips of this coaching staff.

Consensus isn't necessarily bad. Consensus among people that don't know what they are doing isn't so great though. Consensus among a group of yes-men that don't know what they are doing is a train wreck.

I suppose if there's a collection of say, Polian, Butler, and AJ Smith then consensus isn't bad. But with Marv, Brandon, Guy, and Modrak, it's not a coincidence they've struggled to build a roster. Either way, they'll need to revamp the front office to have a chance next season. It's going to take a rebuild, which no one wants to admit.

There's a certain degree of cooperation required between the GM, personnel guys, and head coach. So there ought to be some coordination in UFA and on draft day. But when all is said and done, I expect a strong GM to make the final decision and not hope to satisfy everyone by taking the safe route. But this is Ralphie's team, and the only strong decision maker is him, and it's a pipe dream to think he'll allow anyone to do this.