REMINDER: Sabres on Versus tonight

PromoTheRobot

Damn Comcast owns Versus so their screwing DTV around I guess.

That's why I don't think companies should be allowed to own content AND the distribution medium as it creates unfair anti-competitive situations. It's the main reason I am anti-Bluray, since Sony owns the hardware, the movies, and the medium.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/artic...ssetId=P6220002

"DIRECTV was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus — and now Comcast is demanding an overall rate hike of 20% on top of that. Comcast also forces DIRECTV to make Versus available to a much larger portion of our customer base at our own expense than they require from other TV providers — most notably, DISH Network."

That's why I don't think companies should be allowed to own content AND the distribution medium as it creates unfair anti-competitive situations. It's the main reason I am anti-Bluray, since Sony owns the hardware, the movies, and the medium.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/artic...ssetId=P6220002

"DIRECTV was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus — and now Comcast is demanding an overall rate hike of 20% on top of that. Comcast also forces DIRECTV to make Versus available to a much larger portion of our customer base at our own expense than they require from other TV providers — most notably, DISH Network."

Puck Daddy Blog

"The bad news is that DirecTV continues to muddy the waters in this dispute by claiming that Versus is asking for an untenable rate hike; which is a statement that's picked up by local media whenever this dispute hits home. As we reported exclusively this month, Versus has a "zero total dollar increase" proposal on the table that apparently hasn't greased the gears to end this standoff -- even if it rendered the DirecTV "rate hike" outrage moot. "

So the DTV website blames Versus. Puck Daddy on Yahoo.com says what DTV claims is not true. So who do you believe?

PTR

Puck Daddy Blog

"The bad news is that DirecTV continues to muddy the waters in this dispute by claiming that Versus is asking for an untenable rate hike; which is a statement that's picked up by local media whenever this dispute hits home. As we reported exclusively this month, Versus has a "zero total dollar increase" proposal on the table that apparently hasn't greased the gears to end this standoff -- even if it rendered the DirecTV "rate hike" outrage moot. "

So the DTV website blames Versus. Puck Daddy on Yahoo.com says what DTV claims is not true. So who do you believe?

PTR

The article said:

" As for the rate increases DirecTV says are at the heart of this dispute, there is a "zero total dollar increase" on the table from Versus. In other words, if subscriptions continue to grow, the amount of money DirecTV will pay Versus will not. According to the network, this proposal was presented in the negotiation several days ago and DirecTV hasn't responded to it -- despite continuing to claim in recent media reports that Versus is trying to "jack up our rates.""

The "in other words" part of that says that if subscriptions grow, the money DirecTV has to pay won't. It doesn't say that the initial amount they have to pay to continue carrying Versus is not going up.

In other words, if they paid $1/customer for a total of $16M last year, Comcast could still be saying, "Pay us $1.20/customer, for a total of $19.2M, but if you get more customers 6 months from now, you won't have to pay us any more."