Move Maybin to LB officially

IMzeke

Hey he has a Linebacker's number, He's sized more appropriately for the position, he's fast and he loves to deliver pain. WHY NOT? What do we have to lose at this point. Get the youth movement involved and get them seasoned now. We have no where to go but up. While you're at it get Nick Harris into th equation too! Let them earn their money and their bones. Won't be long befor POZ is back and then you'll have some depth. Just a thought!

Hey he has a Linebacker's number, He's sized more appropriately for the position, he's fast and he loves to deliver pain. WHY NOT? What do we have to lose at this point. Get the youth movement involved and get them seasoned now. We have no where to go but up. While you're at it get Nick Harris into th equation too! Let them earn their money and their bones. Won't be long befor POZ is back and then you'll have some depth. Just a thought!

DJ already announced today that he has no intention of moving Maybin :wallbash:

Guest dog14787

DJ says its not happening...

Your assuming he has talent. We screwed the pooch passing on Orakpo or Everett brown...Maybin blows.

Orakpo looks f'n powerful! I saw him bull rush the Panther's LT yesterday en route to a sack. (Didn't count due to penalty but you can see how strong the guy is.)

It was always my assumption based on his body size and his playing style in college that this was the intent. Judging from the number he was given and the Bills shortage at LB even before the injury bug hit our MLBs it appears this also was the intent of the Bills braintrust (if we want to give them that credit).

Clearly this has not worked out. At best it is because the lost PT during contract negotiations did not allow Maybin to learn and demonstrate the ability to do pass coverage in the Tampa 2 style D we play (a troubling sign in terms of Maybin's ability to simply play ball and learn),

At worst it is just a flat out blown assessment by the once vaunted Bills college scouts.

Your assuming he has talent. We screwed the pooch passing on Orakpo or Everett brown...Maybin blows.

Time will tell, but I think you're right, at least as far as Orakpo is concerned. As for moving Maybin to OLB, the question I have is whether he had any experience dropping back in coverage at Penn State. If the Bills played a 3-4, I'd say go for it, but I'm hesitant given the scheme they play.

Time will tell, but I think you're right, at least as far as Orakpo is concerned. As for moving Maybin to OLB, the question I have is whether he had any experience dropping back in coverage at Penn State. If the Bills played a 3-4, I'd say go for it, but I'm hesitant given the scheme they play.

My recollection from the scouting reports was that he actually had shown the size and speed to pick-up backs coming out of the backfield, but had limited experience doing this as he was pretty much assigned to get after the QB on the pass rush for his job.

The main problem my guess would be that he had is that it is often said of pros who move from standard Ds to a version of the Cover 2 we play that it often takes a player a season to get comfortable and not look like an idiot in the scheme. This was certainly our experience here where McGee looked like an idiot, gave up a couple of TDs, and even got benched his first year with our Cover 2.

However, by his second year he got pretty good at it and now is our shutdown corner.

It is not shocking that Maybin is a washout in his first year (particularly after missing several weeks of pre-season camp) and it would not be surprising at all if he turned out to be pretty good next year. However, judging from the LB number he was given he probably is simply overmatched when he gets into a game at LB right now and Jauron is not even gonna got there.