"Fire in the Belly"

ajzepp

I know that you can't compare HS or college ball to the NFL, but I'm sitting here watching these press conferences and they are putting me to sleep. Not only that, but it's the same rhetoric and catch phrases ("we didn't execute", etc) you hear week after week.

I remember when Mike Singletary was first hired at SF and he was doing controversial things pretty much right from the get-go. Seemed as if the majority of the folks on here thought the guy was a joke and his antics were going to backfire. I pretty much felt the same way. But now when I look back on it, guys like Singletary are taking a similar approach to what I experienced back when I played HS ball as a kid. Not only did my teammates and I get fired up and feed off one another, our coach had no problem going off on an emotional rant and calling everyone out for playing like crap.

I guess what I'm saying is, where is the fire on this team? Does Jauron really turn into Billy Bob Thornton from Friday Night Lights at halftime in the locker room, or is this guy just putzing along with his monotone, lifeless crap behind the scenes, too? Who is it that INSPIRES this team to their best effort? I'm guessing pretty much nobody. Maybe since they are "pros" they don't need it...but if I were putting the pads on and lining up for the Buffalo Bills, I'd want a coach who got us fired up and who truly inspired us to our best effort for 60 min every week. It's hard for me to even imagine the players staying awake for whatever Dicko is talking about in the locker room.

Rex Ryan is being interviewed at halftime right now, he's definitely got 'fire in the belly', too bad he went to the Jets.

That's a great example...I hate being envious of a division rival for any reason, but I would love to have their coach. That's exactly the type of attitude I'm talking about. I can guarantee you this guy has the undivided attention of every single pair of eyeballs in that locker room.