Directv SD Sunday Ticket question

richNjoisy

people actually watch things in SD?
Not me its HD or else. MSG ( owned by Cablevision ) had a big fight with NHL last year over HD broadcasts so anyone out of Sabres viewing area got stuck with SD feed if they wanted rick j and sabres feed. Many times I suffered with the other broadcast just so I could see the hockey game in HD vs SD. Like they say once ya have had it in HD ya cant go back. :thumbsup:

So does this mean SOME people had legitimate issues with their SD reception while others had no problems? This suggests that some receivers are too old while others are not? If this is the case, how can one tell ahead of time? Does anyone know if Directv is going to respond to this?

Just got off the phone w/ DTV. They said that they sent out a notice with a bill, but could not tell me which bill it was when I questioned them, because I never got any notice. Then she said they e-mailed a notice. I get e-mails from DTV, but did not get any about the old receivers not able to get the ticket.

Sooooo, they are sending out new receivers - " free of charge" - which they better darn well be... I will get the receivers by Friday. Then I complained some more & they said I could have Showtime free for 3 mos. I said I would have no use for that. So she gave me 20 bucks off my next bill.

Knowing how things work there , I will be checking my bill closely next month to makr sure it's applied.

The following is the answer I got from a DTV rep..he ASSURES me I am o.k. with my specific unit. Hopefully, he is correct:

KC- SD broadcasts of the Sunday Ticket games are still delivered via MPEG2 encoding. I believe the problem KC experienced is due to a change in the way the guide data is delivered. Some really old model receivers (like the old DRD model RCA receivers) are not capable of handling the advanced program guide (APG) data that DirecTV currently uses. From what I’ve been told, the newer/larger guide data (APG) exceeds what these older receivers can handle. Sports packages were omitted from the non-APG guide data since it would affect the smallest amount of customers. I know a DirecTV CSR told you that it was due to MPEG4 but any of us who have been a DirecTV customer for any amount of time know not to put too much faith in what they tell you, it’s essentially customer service roulette. I’ve been told one thing one minute, just to call back and be told something completely opposite the next minute.

----> Richard- The GXCEBOT is APG capable, so you shouldn’t have any problems with SD Sunday Ticket games. <--------

The only problem is if you pause the fist tuner and jump to the other and then back to the first, that tuner goes live.

Don't know why this is a "problem." It's not as if you lose your buffer. Just hit pause again if you're not ready to start watching.