Playing Tetris is good for you!

Fezmid

I think this has been known for some time? Since the late 1980's??? I have been telling my wife this for almost 20 years (she is a non-video game person)... I still play Tetris on my son's DS all the time.

I tell people it helps me fit more boats in the lock chamber at one time... :wallbash: I get the barges in first and then start directing the pleasure boats... Usually when there are 6-8 barges (200 feet long by 35 feet wide each) in the lock, there is a 35 foot wide by 700 feet long alley way along the barges to fit pleasure craft in... That alley way opens up to another couple hundred feet by 110 foot wide part of the chamber... NEVER LET THE BIG YACHT WITH A BIG BEAM (beam is widest width of a boat/vessel) PLUG UP THAT ALLEY WAY TO THE HEAD OF THE CHAMBER... Then you are in for a clusterphuck of small boats floating around near the wheel wash of the towboat...

What is it with people and being locked into tight quarters Senator? They always seem to stop or freak out! :censored::censored:

I think this has been known for some time? Since the late 1980's??? I have been telling my wife this for almost 20 years (she is a non-video game person)... I still play Tetris on my son's DS all the time.

I tell people it helps me fit more boats in the lock chamber at one time... ;) I get the barges in first and then start directing the pleasure boats... Usually when there are 6-8 barges (200 feet long by 35 feet wide each) in the lock, there is a 35 foot wide by 700 feet long alley way along the barges to fit pleasure craft in... That alley way opens up to another couple hundred feet by 110 foot wide part of the chamber... NEVER LET THE BIG YACHT WITH A BIG BEAM (beam is widest width of a boat/vessel) PLUG UP THAT ALLEY WAY TO THE HEAD OF THE CHAMBER... Then you are in for a clusterphuck of small boats floating around near the wheel wash of the towboat...

What is it with people and being locked into tight quarters Senator? They always seem to stop or freak out! :wallbash::wallbash:

People with pleasure craft who choose to occupy a lock with barges are unwise...at best.

It's like folks that argue with tractor-trailers on the highway - yes, that semi might well be in the wrong. And then your tombstone says..."He had the right-of-way". :censored:

A Rule To Live By: Never pick a fight, always give way, to an object that outweighs you by tens or hundreds of tons. :censored:

People with pleasure craft who choose to occupy a lock with barges are unwise...at best.

It's like folks that argue with tractor-trailers on the highway - yes, that semi might well be in the wrong. And then your tombstone says..."He had the right-of-way". :wallbash:

A Rule To Live By: Never pick a fight, always give way, to an object that outweighs you by tens or hundreds thousands of tons. :cry:

With reagard to sharing the lock:

Perfectly safe if done right and orderly! Or you might find oneself waiting for hours/even days! We are not blessed like in your neck of the woods along the Ohio, we don't have double/auxillary chambers... Only a few on the Upper MS and none on the Illinois have auxillary chmabers. Everybody has to share unless it is HazMat cargo. Now if they were say locking with 3200 bbls of jet fuel (illegal of course)... I may agree it is unsafe.

Commercial vessels ALWAYS go in first, get tied off at the head and the stern before small PC come in... PC always leave first before the lines get thrown off...

I have seen operators snap 2 part 2" lock lines though, even with only a couple feet difference in head (amount the chamber goes up or down)... Never a 4 part... The higher lift locks do have floating bits to tie off too though... Everytime the line goes around the pin/ballard and back is considered 2 "parts." There is a guy at work who loves to fill/flood the pit really fast (I guess he gets his jollies off seeing people swirl around, since we don't require pleasure craft to tie off)... Most commercial tow captains make the deckhand grab 4 and even 6 (6 which is totally unheard of for a 2" line!) part line! Anyway, he is close to retiring and we will all be safe! :thumbsup: