Next Year

BS78

I have not given up, but I'm not optimistic about the 09-10 Bills. Let's say we are a complete mess this year and end up with the #1, 2, or 3 pick. Let's also assume that Maybin looks like the real deal and so does Trent (big assumption), because, if either busts, we would take a DE or QB. What position do we take? I would say best front 7 defender available. Agreed?

If Trent cannot get it done this year he will most certainly be gone.....along with DJ. Then we will begin another rebulding year! Does it make anyone else sick to their stomach thinking of the possiblity of another rebuilding year? We could get ahead of the game starting now with ousting Dick!

In all seriousness this would allow for a new coach to become familiar with this team and make better decisions on what personnel will work best under their leadership.

Signed----"Wishful Thinking"

Let's not assume Trent or Maybin is the real deal. Jury still out on Maybin. However, it's crystal clear that Trent will someday make a good backup. This is a make or break year for him. He has to have a rating in that 92-95 arena to be offered starting QB money. Don't hold your breath.

The Bills need a lot. If they are holding a top 3 pick, their first priority is a QB. I'm not sold on Bradford, and completely not enamoured with McCoy... another Longhorn with a lot of sizzle and no steak. Hopefully a QB will emerge this year that has it all and is as tough as nails.

I have not given up, but I'm not optimistic about the 09-10 Bills. Let's say we are a complete mess this year and end up with the #1, 2, or 3 pick. Let's also assume that Maybin looks like the real deal and so does Trent (big assumption), because, if either busts, we would take a DE or QB. What position do we take? I would say best front 7 defender available. Agreed?

Let's get through this season first ... way too speculative

Let's not assume Trent or Maybin is the real deal. Jury still out on Maybin. However, it's crystal clear that Trent will someday make a good backup. This is a make or break year for him. He has to have a rating in that 92-95 arena to be offered starting QB money. Don't hold your breath.

The Bills need a lot. If they are holding a top 3 pick, their first priority is a QB. I'm not sold on Bradford, and completely not enamoured with McCoy... another Longhorn with a lot of sizzle and no steak. Hopefully a QB will emerge this year that has it all and is as tough as nails.

92-95? it seems like you're taking an already arbitrary statistic, and putting an arbirtrary cap on it. Last year 7 qbs in the NFL had a qb rating above 92. Below 92 included Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo... I could go on.

And as to how meaningless QB rating is... 2008 QB rating for Jay Cutler, 86.0. Trent Edwards, 85.4. 2008 TDs for Jay Cutler: 25. 2008 TDs for Trent Edwards: 11.

What exactly is your reason for requiring a starting qb to have a "92-95" ? Would you throw away Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, or Matt Ryan if they were qb'ing the Bills?

What exactly is your reason for requiring a starting qb to have a "92-95" ? Would you throw away Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, or Matt Ryan if they were qb'ing the Bills?

Well...

#1... Only 3 QBs have won a SB in the past 15 years with a rating of under 85. The 3 QBs that were below 85 had outstanding defenses that essentially won it for them.

#2... In Edwards case, he's in his 3rd year and it's time for him to prove he's a starter in this league. I think his contract is up after the year... and, if so he would be an ERFA... at least if there is a new CBA. Would you pay starter money to Edwards... a QB that isn't a playmaker, difference maker? Eli's new contract has set the reference point for QB contracts, moving forward. Trent needs to step it up if this team is going to contend for the playoffs. The Bills D is average, so 70-90 ain't gonna cut it... he has to play lights out. He has the skill players around him... now he has to put his man pants on.

#3... As for Romo, Cutler, Ryan. Romo is a sunshine QB. When things are going great, he's great. When things don't go so good, he's not a guy that can lead very well and take a team on his back. Cutler is a me me me guy and seems to throw games away in the clutch... as he did againt the Bills last year. Ryan was a rookie, who I thought had an outstanding season, especially when you consider a new coaching staff. Was Roddy White that good, or was Ryan the difference? Turner was a huge factor too. So, of the three, Ryan is the franchise guy... the other two are good, but can they put the team on their shoulders and win the big one? I think Ryan can.