Last Rookie QB to Start for Bills before Trent

plenzmd1

So seems Sanchez is the first rookie QB to start a game for the Jets since 77. That got me to wondering when was the last game started by a rookie in a Bills uni before Trent . I guess Kelly was technicaly a rookie in the NFL, but he had pro seasons behind him at that point, and I am not counting the replacement games.

So, if not Kelly, was either Dufek or Mathiason a rookie? I am really at a loss here to think if a rookie has really started before Trent since I started following the Bills in 71..I am sure there are several examples, I just cannot remember them.

Should have added between Fergy and Trent

Todd Collins, 1995.

Considering Collins only started one game that year, and had a total of 29 pass attempts on the season, Not sure if he really counts. He really didn't get an opportunity to show what he could do till his 3rd year, as made one start each in first 2 years with few appearances in mop up duties as well.

Think Kelly was last person before TE to start as a rookie in more than one game, and was only one to win starting job out of training camp as a rookie after Fergy, although can argue he wasnt really a rookie, since he started in USFL already.

Ahh, thx. See it was the last game of the year, meaningless game..prolly why i couldn't remember.

Yep. Back when the team rested starters for the playoffs ... remember the playoffs? Those images are fading ...

...sigh...

Ahh, thx. See it was the last game of the year, meaningless game..prolly why i couldn't remember.

it was a 28-17 loss to Houston at the Ralph. That's when there were just 3 divisions. We couldn't finish higher than the third seed even if we finished 11-5. We settled for 10-6 and had a home play-off win against the Dolphins the following week.