Would two more weeks of practice helped Maybin?

VJ91

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...ORTS03/90824019

ORCHARD PARK — Shrugging off the rust from his 27-day holdout, rookie defensive end Aaron Maybin made his share of positive plays during his first practice with the Buffalo Bills today at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Taking snaps with the second team, early on he broke in off end for a sack of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Later on during the 90-minute practice, the Bills’ first since the demoralizing 31-21 preseason loss to the Green Bay Packers, Maybin’s “high-motor” was on display, according to fellow DE Chris Kelsay.

While dropping back into coverage of fellow rookie Shawn Nelson, Maybin held his own against the 6-foot-5 tight end during a 20-yard route. Nelson came down with the pass, but Maybin proved he could go 1-on-1 with an athletic receiver.

"High-motor." noooooooo ...

(Like the hit on Fitzy, though.)

like i said from that game vs ohio st, u can see how great his first 3 steps are along with his ability to bend and turn. something the bills havent had since bruce sadly. again its is college but u can obviously see the athletic ability on the edge. he ran a 4.5 on his pro day and had the fastest 10 yards split of any d end along with the best first step... im going to say he gets 8 sacks this year along with some much needed pressure

hes in the mold of derrick thomas, he is going to be used strictly as a 2nd and long 3rd and long speed rusher off the edge this year, which is exactly what we needed. there isnt much he needs to learn this year except for hand technique, thats about it. in 3 weeks he should be fine. im sure u will see him get some pressures this week against pittsburgh, hes to fast and athletic not to generate pressure on the corner....

Thing is John, they've also been talking about using him at linebacker in some 3-4 looks. That plan might be shelved now. It is vaguely reminiscent to me of the plan to go with the no huddle last year being scuttled by Jason Peters' holdout.

Regardless of how he does (and maybe it's just me) I feel that the time lost is going to hurt his development. He could have had a large role in our defense as a "defensive wildcat" type player...a weapon to be moved around the field to create havoc.

Assuming now that he doesn't understand our defense very well at this point, he will be relegated to situational pass rusher.

I was hoping to be able to tap into his natural abilities and intelligence as more than just a situational player.

I think his role this year will be more limited than it was if he had attended training camp and played in the 3 football games that he missed. JMO.

hes in the mold of derrick thomas, he is going to be used strictly as a 2nd and long 3rd and long speed rusher off the edge this year, which is exactly what we needed. there isnt much he needs to learn this year except for hand technique, thats about it. in 3 weeks he should be fine. im sure u will see him get some pressures this week against pittsburgh, hes to fast and athletic not to generate pressure on the corner....

[/quote

I just read that in todays first practice Maybin looked like he was shot out of a cannon attacking the QB.....OMG

With speed like that it will make a world of difference to the Defense........ Maybe the Bills front office knew what they were doing when they drafted DE Maybin after all.... Lets hope he is a big difference maker on the D-Line... it sure will make everyone else look a hellva a lot better with a super star on the line....... in fact everyone else will look a lot better when we can put real pressure on the QB..... We sure need it after last Saturday night... The Bills starters really stunk .....