5 pre seasons are valuable

beausox

It appears that there are a number of rookies this year who need inspection at first or near first team exposure. Wise teams should try to determine whether a rookie justifies playing time. Bring that guy along and find out what level he demonstrates he cannot, cannot handle.

Maybin is ideal because he can be inserted situationally, 3rd down and other passing situations. Wood imho has proven ready. Levitre is not as accomplished but has to learn and so should play so as to learn.

In no particular order Harris, Lankster, Nelson et al have looked good.

The "extra" pre season game is a God send. Now let us see how they do against opposing first units.

It appears that there are a number of rookies this year who need inspection at first or near first team exposure. Wise teams should try to determine whether a rookie justifies playing time. Bring that guy along and find out what level he demonstrates he cannot, cannot handle.

Maybin is ideal because he can be inserted situationally, 3rd down and other passing situations. Wood imho has proven ready. Levitre is not as accomplished but has to learn and so should play so as to learn.

In no particular order Harris, Lankster, Nelson et al have looked good.

The "extra" pre season game is a God send. Now let us see how they do against opposing first units.

While I am not passionate about it I disagree. The long preseason IMO breeds laziness on the part of the starters and exposes you to more injury opportunities. I favor the NFL going to a two game preseason and expanding the regular season. With OTA's and year round conditioning training camp and preseason games do not serve the purpose they once did.

Records of teams that player in the HoF game going back to the 2000 season:

2000: New England Patriots (5-11, NP) San Fransisco 49'ers (6-10, NP)

2001: St. Louis Rams (12-4, P) Miami Dolphins (11-5, P)

2002: New York Giants (10-6, P) Houston Texans (4-12, NP)

2003: Kansas City Chiefs (13-3, P) Green Bay Packers (10-6, P)

2004: Washington Redskins (6-10, NP) Denver Broncos (10-6, NP)

2005: Chicago Bears (11-5, P) Miami Dolphins (9-7, NP)

2006: Oakland Raiders (2-14, NP) Philadelphia Eagles (10-6, P)

2007: Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6, P) New Orleans Saints (7-9, NP)

2008: Washington Redskins (8-8, NP) Indianapolis Colts (12-4, P)

Not too much you can derive from that, but if someone were inclined, you could dig deeper and see how those teams started out relative to their division opponents perhaps.

My guess though, is that the extra game is a small factor in the success or failure of a franchise in any given season.