Broadcast commentators - shutup already!

Al Michaels is declining and was annoying last night...how long are you going to live off of "Do you believe in miracles?"

Collinsworth? please... oh yes, this is NBC, I forgot...the channel with a friggin peacock for a logo... no big deal, that was the first and last Sunday night game I'll be watching.

:thumbsup:

Is there - any- announcer that ever passes muster here? Any?

:lol:

Liberals are dead set against Vick as reflected in the position of groups like PETA who flat out want to see Vick barred from letting the free market determine whether they want to root for Vick or not.

Do you support the free-market position of letting Vick back into the league or instead support the code pinkish liberal stand of group like PETA?

The problem here is that reality is just a different thing than the simple left vs. right or liberal vs. conservative views that the simple minds who run the media want to cram their viewers into.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? The political angle or PETA never even crossed my mind!

Jesus H Christ on rubber crutches!

The original point was about spending way too much air time talking about Mike Vick, rather than so many other things that could have talked about on such a festive weekend - including....THE FRIGGIN GAME that was taking place within their view.

I don't give a crap about him. He plays. He doesn't play. I don't care! It's been talked to death. My problem with the whole thing was putting Dungy out there to play "good cop" and paint this glowing picture of Vick, who is such a benevolent and caring man now that I expect to come to my door Halloween night with his penny unicef carton and Tiny F'king Tim on his shoulder.

Why is somebody always trying to turn this into a political thing? The issue was too much time dedicated to this worn out topic. Welcome Dungy to Sunday nights and log off. Christ.

Maybe "Do you believe in Michaelcles" and his little pooftah sidekick could have done some research on the history of the AFL and talked about that on various occasions. That would take research though...easier to bring in a dog killer's mentor, oh, who is now employed by the peacock network, imagine that.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? The political angle or PETA never even crossed my mind!

Why is somebody always trying to turn this into a political thing?

I asked myself the same question when YOU turned this into a political thing by describing the pro-Vick over discussion of this issue as a liberal thing. If one wants to make inaccurate political statements about this, describing pro-Vick forces as conservatives like Dungy or folks who argue for a free market rather than the liberal group PETA's anti-Vick position would seem to be a closer to the truth inaccuracy than you making it a political thing by describing the motivation as liberal.

Political views are definitely an important motivating factor for folks actions. The problem for ideological commentators and idiots like the Fox News folks is that they seem to forget that politics is far from the only (or even the main) motivator in most folks thinking.

Vick is repugnant not due to ideology but because his actions were reprehensible and many liberals and conservatives are repulsed by them and do not find them entertaining. This lack of entertainment value is the most likely reason I think he may not get a contract offer.

I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent.

I didn't think they necessarily had to give in-depth analysis of Bill's camp fodder, but there could have been more topical (e.g. Hall of Fame related stuff) discussion, or actual attention to the game being played, than the liberal flavored attempt to publicly rehabilitate Michael Vick's character with standup guy and ex-coach, Tony Dungy, acting as his designated apologist.

FYI, Dungy is a Republican and a religious conservative. He has spoken out against abortion to church groups on several occasions. He has spoken out against homosexuality several times. He is a "family values" conservative (as if liberals don't have family values). So I'm not sure what you mean by "liberal flavored."

The only thing remotely liberal about him is that he did support Obama in the last election.

I agree with you that the Dungy segment was overlong and propagandistic. I like your suggestion that rather than interview Vick's apologist, that the producers ought to have brought Vick himself on to allow viewers to judge for themselves.

Yes the HOF Game broadcast is a different creature partly due to the need to interview the inductees and partly due to the fact that it's the first exhibition game. That the broadcasters annoyed us was inevitable. The Dungy segment was just another "bonus."

My god - what is this, some holiday where dummys are let out for a day? Another need for remedial reading help.

"liberal flavored" - meaning a real bleeding heart, poor Mike Vick diatribe. Used to decscribe those who feel it's their duty to champion the cause of the downtrodden (translation - inferior). The same kind of thinking that has NY State SSI funds providing food stamps, monthy rent and, daily methedone treatment to heroin addicts to help them get help with their "disability".

WTF does Tony Dungy's conservative background have to do with anything? I like Dungy. I certainly wasn't commenting on him at all. The topic was the amount of sympathy and "understanding" were supposed to heap upon Mike Vick.

I think you saw the word "liberal" and went nuts, didn't you Janeane Garofalo. Don't think - react. That's the battlecry.

Newsflash: it was a word in English usage long before it came to describe academic elitists who can't see the trees for the forest or ugly college chicks who try to define their identity through supposed intellect and diplomas.

Let me educate you a little. Conservative and Republican are not interchangeable. Democrat and liberal are not interchangeable words. Dungy's poltical affiliation, life philosophy, and religious faith are of no interest to me, nor do I have any inkling of where he stands personally. As stated, he's generally seen as a real standup guy, regardless of any personal beliefs.

So go sit the Fk down Janeane.

Hmmm. Everything alright DML? Who's reacting and not thinking here? I asked you a question. I get name calling, I get "educated" and lectured by someone who apparently doesn't like "academic elitists."

Thanks for so effectively furthering the "cause" of whatever it is you spew about on this wall.

Hmmm. Everything alright DML? Who's reacting and not thinking here? I asked you a question. I get name calling, I get "educated" and lectured by someone who apparently doesn't like "academic elitists."

Thanks for so effectively furthering the "cause" of whatever it is you spew about on this wall.

You're welcome.

F uckinada, I don't even remember what the point was!!!!

Oh yeah..boo hoo Michael Vick. Let's all give him a big virtual bear hug, kiss on the forehead, and integrate him into our whacky new wildcat scheme. Bring him on I say!

As the late John Butler would surely say, "he's a fine yong man".

You're welcome.

Oh yeah..boo hoo Michael Vick. Let's all give him a big virtual bear hug, kiss on the forehead, and integrate him into our whacky new wildcat scheme. Bring him on I say!

Lighten up, Francis.

If you feel the need to spew vitriol about your superior belief set, go spout off on the PPP board. You'll fit right in.

You're welcome.

Take it easy dude. I don't know what you're talking about. You implied that I need "remedial reading help?" I have never advocated for the reinstatement of Michael Vick. I'm pretty indifferent about him playing in the NFL but I certainly don't want him playing for our Buffalo Bills.

I asked what you meant by "liberal flavored" and you implied that I was an idiot and started calling me Janeane Garofolo. Okay...

Not sure where all this anger is coming from. You have good football takes but seem a bit touchy about things outside of football.