Cortland

I used to live in Ithaca and agree with this. The local media never treated the Bills or anything Buffalo like it was "theirs". For example, if you watch TV sports on Sunday night, or read a paper on Monday morning, the Bills generally wouldn't get any more coverage than any other team.

The NFL going out of it's way to extend the blackout zone to include Syracuse probably didn't exactly help win over any fans, either.

Syracuse and Binghamton stations, which are what is shown in Ithaca, have - at least until this year - shown the Bills over the Jets. So I wonder how long you have been out of Ithaca. It is true that WBNG showed the Jets over the Bills in 1998, but they quickly switched back the following year.

You can get Bills games on the radio and not the Giants and Jets games. If Ithaca is not a Bills town, then it is not because it is full of hippies and college students from NYC.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article from the Cortland Standard alludes to less than expected attendance. They have not used a secondary parking lot on campus yet and a shuttle bus was cancelled after 3 days when not one single person used it. The main lot holds 800-900 cars. Here is the article:

As for this whole infringement thing, I have spent a lot of time in Cortland over the years as my wife's family lives there and this is by no means Bills country. There are some Bills fans to be sure, but probably equal or greater number of Giants and Jets fans. Honestly, I really doubt the presence of a training camp will make a die hard fan of another team switch sides.

You're wrong about that man. Gints fans (in this area) yes, Jets really have no fan base, except LI/NYC/NJ Gint fans who can't get tiks and transplants.

You saw this- correct)?

There was an incident over the weekend in which a Bills fan, adorned in full Bills attire and a box of TO cereal, got in line to get autographs from a few of the players. The players wouldn't give him autographs, and one of the players point blank told him that it was disrespectful to the Jets players for him to show up in Bills attire. The newspaper had stated a few times that if you expect an autograph, the first thing is you better be wearing Jets attire.

Syracuse and Binghamton stations, which are what is shown in Ithaca, have - at least until this year - shown the Bills over the Jets. So I wonder how long you have been out of Ithaca. It is true that WBNG showed the Jets over the Bills in 1998, but they quickly switched back the following year.

You can get Bills games on the radio and not the Giants and Jets games. If Ithaca is not a Bills town, then it is not because it is full of hippies and college students from NYC.

Well said. Amen brother.

You're wrong about that man. Gints fans (in this area) yes, Jets really have no fan base, except LI/NYC/NJ Gint fans who can't get tiks and transplants.

You saw this- correct)?

There was an incident over the weekend in which a Bills fan, adorned in full Bills attire and a box of TO cereal, got in line to get autographs from a few of the players. The players wouldn't give him autographs, and one of the players point blank told him that it was disrespectful to the Jets players for him to show up in Bills attire. The newspaper had stated a few times that if you expect an autograph, the first thing is you better be wearing Jets attire.

The Bills fan seems like a douche or an idiot.

Just for the record... the fresh paved roads had been in the works for the past three years and won't be completed til Nov.

I wasn't referring to the roads being re-paved because of Jets camp, simply (fresh Tar) as one of the initial things you'll notice upon embarking on your drive thru Cort.

Signs were done out of the county budget. County allocated $45K to fund different things including shuttle service. So, not much taxpayer money thrown at this.

Where might you think the county money comes from (bake sale)? $45K for Cortland County ain't chump change... intrudes into the welfare web. My point is that unions suck and are to blame for MADE IN CHINA and NYS DOT has blatent issues with wasting taxpayers money (County crews too). I drove into town on SR-281. There's waste anywhere there taxpayers money being spent and there's waste anywhere you see DOT workers and/or unions. I call it out (as it is). As you were.

I used to live in Ithaca and agree with this. The local media never treated the Bills or anything Buffalo like it was "theirs". For example, if you watch TV sports on Sunday night, or read a paper on Monday morning, the Bills generally wouldn't get any more coverage than any other team.

The NFL going out of it's way to extend the blackout zone to include Syracuse probably didn't exactly help win over any fans, either.

I agree 100%. I grew up in Ithaca (Lansing actually) and that area is definitely not Bills territory. I'd say it's more of a Giants town, unfortunately.

You saw this- correct)?

So you're saying that ONE Bills fan doing this supports your contention that Cortland is Bills territory. Ok, sure. That seems logical.

The Bills fan seems like a douche or an idiot.

I think its Classic and in good grace and comic spirit of defending one's territory (Bills Territory).

I think you must be a stiff. Do you wear a short-sleeve Oxford shirt and a tie (at the same time)?

So you're saying that ONE Bills fan doing this supports your contention that Cortland is Bills territory. Ok, sure. That seems logical.

And you're taking one reply to the thread as God's NFL word on the fan base breakdown in Cortland is evenly split between the two NJ teams and the NY team? Seems logical.

I travel every inch of this state (sans Hamptons, Harlem and Grider St. in Buffalo). I know what's what and who's cheering who.

I think its Classic and in good grace and comic spirit of defending one's territory (Bills Territory).

I think you must be a stiff. Do you wear a short-sleeve Oxford shirt and a tie (at the same time)?

It would have been fine if he didn't try to get autographs.

I agree 100%. I grew up in Ithaca (Lansing actually) and that area is definitely not Bills territory. I'd say it's more of a Giants town, unfortunately.

Really? I went to school there and always thought it was still Bills country. Most of the out-of-town bars (like Glenwood Pines) showed the Bills games and had people watching it. Even Benchwarmers (where the jest/giants fans would go watch their games) did promos during the bills games and had bigger bills crowds.

Its definitely not like WNY as far as how big of fans people are, but I never met someone who wasn't from downstate who liked the jets or the giants....guess I wasn't looking hard enough for them ;-)

We prefer Tree Huggers and Red Necks....I spent 20 years in Ithaca (T-Burg) and was like now a HUGE Bills fan. There is a mixed bag but the Bills were always on TV.

We prefer Tree Huggers and Red Necks....I spent 20 years in Ithaca (T-Burg) and was like now a HUGE Bills fan. There is a mixed bag but the Bills were always on TV.

WPIE 1160 out of Trumansburg always had the Bills when I grew up there. Sometimes I could get the feed from Rochester as well.

Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse: Solid Buffalo Bills fans base who reliably attend Bills home games. Might even say the same for Utica.

As a native and current resident of Syracuse I don't know why we're talking about Ithaca and Cortland. I have spoken with a lot of Bills fans here in the 'Cuse who talk about/attend the Bills training camp. I haven't heard anyone here talk about/attend the Jets training camp.

I too would like to know where all these supposed Jets fans in Cortland are from? Probably not Cortland.