TO Predicts Close Game with New England

john

The bogus roughing the passer called against the Patriots vs the Raiders in 1976 springs to mind. What's that? Too far back? It's more relevant that the (correct) David Patten out of bounds call in a regular season game vs the Bills, and it screwed the Patriots in the playoffs.

I do also remember something against the Colts in the 2006 playoffs with some kind of bogus PI call on Ellis Hobbs, but I don't care enough to check or even remember exactly. Because I attribute the 32 second half points given up by the Patriots as the reason they lost.

That was the AFCCG, for a chance to go to another Super Bowl, and I could give a crap whether it was a bogus call on Hobbs or not. You, meanwhile, have a library of every god damn play and you cry and whine about every call and you're already making excuses for this upcoming season that the refs are out to screw the Bills. How about you just shut up and enjoy the games?

The 2008 Patriots were one of my favorite teams even despite missing the playoffs. Seeing Cassel develop and get better as the season went on was a joy to watch, and the team still came together despite missing several key starters.

Just quit whining and enjoy watching the Bills play.

Still waiting--please read my original request. Last ten years or so, and one that was acknowledged outside the NE fanbase to be controversial and/or wrong. For ex., fans in Hawaii two years later still remembering how the Ravens got screwed. Neither of your examples (if the Hobbs thing even counts, since it's incredibly vague) comes close to the mark. As noted, I can name at least 7 or 8 in the other direction. Sorry, play again.....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I don't care enough to harp on and log into a library every bad call that went against the Patriots.

Reminds me--I was on vacation in Hawaii two weeks ago, talking football with the porter who'd commented on my Bills hat. Somehow New England came up and he, on his own, brought up how badly the Ravens got screwed in that Monday night game two years ago against you.

Yeah, "somehow" New England came up. I'm sure you didn't have anything to do with initiating a conversation about the Patriots.

FOXBORO - Ellis Hobbs [stats] has insisted since the AFC title game loss to the Colts that he was improperly flagged for pass interference in the end zone.

The league not only agrees with him, it let him know it.

Hobbs received a letter during the offseason apologizing for the blown call, which led to the touchdown that tied the game at 21 in the third quarter.

“It’s a little late for that now,” Hobbs said with a sigh.

The penalty came on second-and-7 from the Patriots [team stats] 19. Colts quarterback Peyton Manning targeted a streaking Reggie Wayne down the sideline, but Hobbs stayed with him stride for stride, cutting short his pursuit to avoid the contact that would have resulted in a penalty. He watched Wayne’s eyes, slightly turned his head and leaped while the ball descended. It hit him in the left arm and Hobbs was immediately flagged by referee Bill Carollo.

TV analyst Phil Simms labeled it face-guarding - the act of not turning to look for the ball - which is no longer illegal. The play is only a penalty if Hobbs makes contact with the receiver, which he was careful not to do.

Manning then hit former Patriots defensive lineman Dan Klecko with a 1-yard score, and the two-point conversion tied the game.

Hobbs has insisted ever since that the call should not have been made, a point he made forcefully after the game.

“I’ll say it publicly - that wasn’t pass interference,” Hobbs said. “I didn’t touch the guy. The ball hit me in the back of the arm. He put his hands up and I’m just trying to play through his hands. I didn’t look back, but I didn’t touch him. You make the call. Watch that replay and tell me if it’s pass interference.”

It’s little consolation now, but Hobbs was right.

Here you go. The LEAGUE admitted they were wrong. Is that far enough outside the NE fanbase? Or do I need to find a Colts-hating Titans fan somewhere?

To paraphrase Tonto, "What's the "we" stuff, kemosabe?" You're a Bills fan? Yeah, right, tell me another one.....

Did you come with that great comeback all by yourself or did you steal it from one of the boys here?

I'm making no excuses for a game that hasn't been played yet, but I'll say the same thing before this one that I say every time we play the Pats*--just don't let the refs decide this one. Many times they haven't--mainly the blowouts, but even last year's games, which were closer, the refs did not cost us those games.

I think that was one point of my post. My other point was, essentially... what kind of fan sits at home chewing on his pillow worrying about the big bad refs and how they are going to steal another game from the Bills? It's pathetic, son.

Yet as noted above, there have been several close games that seem to get handed to New England on a platter, and it's not just when they play us. I'll repeat my longstanding question that I've yet to get a legit answer from Pats* fans on--name me just one recent game (i.e, the last ten years or so) that the Pats* have lost in which a bad call or no call (acknowledged as such by fans outside the Pats* fanbase) from the officials late in the game played a big part in. I can name a whole bunch that went the other way, as can most real fans of the game. If these things were truly random, it would even out at some point, no? Yet I've never heard a legit answer on this from any Pats* fan and I've been asking it for about two years now.....

SB v. Giants---"the Catch".

Did you come with that great comeback all by yourself or did you steal it from one of the boys here?

[/b]

I think that was one point of my post. My other point was, essentially... what kind of fan sits at home chewing on his pillow worrying about the big bad refs and how they are going to steal another game from the Bills? It's pathetic, son.

SB v. Giants---"the Catch".

"The Catch"? That's funny--no one outside the Pats* fans have any problems at all with that play.

As for your pally, 4th and One, I see he still can't read--late in the game (i.e., late in the 4th quarter), not sometime in the third quarter. There's a reason I ask the question the way I do (related to the fact that if there was a fix in that's far the most likely time you'd see evidence of it), which we've gone over ad infinitum before, so no need to do so again here, as it's a waste of both our times.

As for how New England came, up he noticed my Bills hat and said "you don't see many of those around here", which I agreed with. We started talking football generally and he said how tough it would be to play in the AFCE, which I also agreed with, and how tough the Patriots* were, which I agreed with, and then he mentioned how them going undefeated that year was aided, however, by the refs in that (the Ravens) game seeming to want them to win so that they would go undefeated into the playoffs. That's how it came up. As you may imagine, I didn't disagree with him on the last point, either.

You're right, "bad" calls (even though David Patten was out of bounds and the Ravens did call timeout and Bart Scott committed a stupid penalty by himself, none of these really were bad calls) only matter in the 4th quarter, and only when the Patriots do them.

A call that led to a Colts TD in the AFC title game that was won by 4 points, that the league actually apologizes for later, and a letter is sent out to Ellis Hobbs does not matter, because it was only the 3rd quarter. :worthy:

Why didn't the Bills or Ravens receive letters and apologies, then, if they got screwed so bad?

To paraphrase Tonto, "What's the "we" stuff, kemosabe?" You're a Bills fan? Yeah, right, tell me another one.....

I'm making no excuses for a game that hasn't been played yet, but I'll say the same thing before this one that I say every time we play the Pats*--just don't let the refs decide this one. Many times they haven't--mainly the blowouts, but even last year's games, which were closer, the refs did not cost us those games.

Yet as noted above, there have been several close games that seem to get handed to New England on a platter, and it's not just when they play us. I'll repeat my longstanding question that I've yet to get a legit answer from Pats* fans on--name me just one recent game (i.e, the last ten years or so) that the Pats* have lost in which a bad call or no call (acknowledged as such by fans outside the Pats* fanbase) from the officials late in the game played a big part in. I can name a whole bunch that went the other way, as can most real fans of the game. If these things were truly random, it would even out at some point, no? Yet I've never heard a legit answer on this from any Pats* fan and I've been asking it for about two years now.....

Off the top of my head, the Denver play off loss (Tom's first ever) where Champ Bailey fumbled the ball out of the endzone which would of course make it a touchback with the pats retaining possession on their own 20. Also in that game there was a 40 ghost pass interference call on samuel while he was defending ashley lelie, put denver right on the one and they punched it in.

Then of course there was the pats afc championship game, the colts always get some cheap pass interference calls to go their way. Not as bad these days now that Manning got a ring and the League isn't trying to get him one.

The Giants superbowl was pretty clean, I think we came up with that Ahmad Bradshaw fumbled that ball but it wasn't a big deal since they punted the next play anyways.

Its hard to come up with a lot of games that we got jobbed by the refs because when your team seldom loses, you don't really need t o make up excuses for their failures, you just move on to next week. Its like that one guy said, its just the loser mentality of Buffalo fans, they just try to make themselves a victim instead of accepting the fact that their team sucks

Not a big deal. So the Bills will lose 45-17 instead of 38-17. They're just out of the Patriots' league.

I live in New England and can vouch for all of the douchebags that live here, they're in denial. Belicheat cheated, Papi cheated, Manny cheated, Bay hates them, and the Yankees will always be their master. I wish Smerlas would realize how much they underappreciate him and go to work for WGR. Gonna have some clam chowder now.