Please count how many times T.O. / the Bills are on ESPN's NFL pag

SKOOBY

here's the thing about Owens. the reason he causes "a commotion" is because he, for the most part, says what he feels. it's somewhat unfiltered -- or at least more unfiltered than the polite "we give 110 percent" comments that many athletes provide us. and the fact that T.O. feels comfortable providing his opinions no matter the implications is why he sometimes gets himself into trouble and what makes him sound different than other athletes.

Charles Barkley, whom i encountered several times covering the NBA in Vancouver, was much the same way.

fans and detractors, specifically, refer to these types of athletes as blowhards. perhaps. but they're actually saying something of substance, which in this day and age of P.R. people, lawyers and press releases, it's a breath of fresh air.

jw

oh, and Tim, i didn't think it was my place to say who asked the questions. and as i told you over lunch, i'm glad you did. thanks.

So you rolled Tim or let him roll himself, LOL.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
This one (shameless plug)?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-52/...nstatement.html

Bet the commish will like that when he hears about it ...

Add: And George looks ... warm. Aren't you glad he was there to wear the suit and tie for that standup? :beer:

It sure didn't take T.O. very long to stir up the league and I sure wish I could see the commissioners face when he hears T.O.'s comments. :beer:

It sure didn't take T.O. very long to stir up the league and I sure wish I could see the commissioners face when he hears T.O.'s comments. :beer:

He knows by now, we're like the only camp open. 23 months in prison for the commish, LOL.

here's the thing about Owens. the reason he causes "a commotion" is because he, for the most part, says what he feels. it's somewhat unfiltered -- or at least more unfiltered than the polite "we give 110 percent" comments that many athletes provide us. and the fact that T.O. feels comfortable providing his opinions no matter the implications is why he sometimes gets himself into trouble and what makes him sound different than other athletes.

Charles Barkley, whom i encountered several times covering the NBA in Vancouver, was much the same way.

fans and detractors, specifically, refer to these types of athletes as blowhards. perhaps. but they're actually saying something of substance, which in this day and age of P.R. people, lawyers and press releases, it's a breath of fresh air.

jw

oh, and Tim, i didn't think it was my place to say who asked the questions. and as i told you over lunch, i'm glad you did. thanks.

I would very much agree. And for me, personally, I like that aspect of Owens - always have. Your typical player or coach press conference has become so mundane that I often wonder why anyone asks them questions to begin with (or why I sit here and listen as though they may say something insightful). But, you're right, when anyone speaks their opinions openly and honestly, they open themselves up for all sorts of trouble. I've known plenty of people that hate talking to the press for exactly that reason. IMO, it takes balls to talk the the press honestly. Because when your words reach a wide enough audience, you're bound to piss someone off.

It's really interesting watching this whole TO story unfold. It's interesting how some of the existing players that used to garner the attention - Lynch, Evans, Whitner - are a almost lost in the shadow of TO. I could easily see how some would like it (those that don't want the media attention) while others find it divisive (because they want more limelight).

Guest dog14787
He knows by now, we're like the only camp open. 23 months in prison for the commish, LOL.

and the commish can thank :beer: Tim Graham for everything

jw

I'm sorry ... Do I know you?

probably not, but i'm stuck in the same hotel as you. and i got here first, so that makes you my stalker ... :rolleyes:

jw

And you guys are sitting here posting on TBD instead of knocking back shots somewhere? There goes that sportswriter stereotype ... ;)

I'm transcribing John McCargo tape. Nothing says "party" like that.

Heh. Favorite part of the job, and by "favorite," I mean, I wish I got paid enough to subcontract that work out to someone else ...

I'll be interested to see what he told you.