I Lost My DirecTV Signal!

R. Rich

Weird; I didn't look close enough to see if it was on 711 myself...  Of course, you also could've recorded both channels (dual tuners on DirecTiVo rocks!)

The only way the game can be on both channels is if it's an "enhanced" game, meaning you get to see all the scores of the other games around the edge, updated in real-time.  Personally, I find those channels annoying and never watch 'em, but some people must find them useful.  Those are usually 701-704 if I recall correctly.

CW

107192[/snapback]

Thanx I saw it on both 706 and 711 so I figured 706 was enhanced game so I opted for the non enhanced since I didnt care to see running scores of other games. Oh well next time I am out of town on a sunday I will make sure I setup Tivo to record both. would have loved to cath the game live since I think this one was in HD?

Yup, I agree that it sucks.

To answer your question -- if the game's a blowout and they switch, they sometimes put the game back on DirecTV, and sometimes they don't.  It's been hit or miss apparantly.

BTW, I sound like a broken record, but I'd be VERY surprised if you can't get locals with a new dish.  Get an installer out there and have them look at it.  If you've been a DirecTV customer for over a year, they'll pay for the whole thing if you call them and tell them what you want.  If the front line people don't give you what you want, specifically ask for "Customer Retention" and you'll get it.  They may need to relocate your dish elsewhere and put up a Phase III dish, but you should be able to get it.  Don't let a lazy installer tell you that you can't get it because they're usually wrong.

CW

107235[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The installer seemed genuine. He told me that he could mount the dish on the roof, if I wanted to, but didn't recommend it because there is potential for an eventual leak. He said it was my call and would do it if I wanted to do so. My wife wasn't jazzed about the idea, so I said no thanks. He left the old dish that was pointed at 35 degrees and barely clearing my trees. He said that the satellite was at 40 degrees. The local channels satellite was at something like 24 degrees which would not allow me to pick them up, so the new oval dish wasn't really an option.

Thanx I saw it on both 706 and 711 so I figured 706 was enhanced game so I opted for the non enhanced since I didnt care to see running scores of other games.  Oh well next time I am out of town on a sunday I will make sure I setup Tivo to record both.  would have loved to cath the game live since I think this one was in HD?

107254[/snapback]

I'll be converting this game to DVD in the coming weeks (I'm almost done with the Bills/Jags season opener, then I might do this one next). So if you're interested in seeing it, keep an eye out for my posts.

I don't have HD, so I don't know if it was or not. <_<

CW

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The installer seemed genuine. He told me that he could mount the dish on the roof, if I wanted to, but didn't recommend it because there is potential for an eventual leak. He said it was my call and would do it if I wanted to do so. My wife wasn't jazzed about the idea, so I said no thanks. He left the old dish that was pointed at 35 degrees and barely clearing my trees. He said that the satellite was at 40 degrees. The local channels satellite was at something like 24 degrees which would not allow me to pick them up, so the new oval dish wasn't really an option.

107258[/snapback]

If they install it correctly, it won't leak; he was being lazy (IMHO). How many dishes have you seen on roofs? How many antennas did you see on roofs in the 70s and 80s? How many leaks related to that? Exactly... I'm sure there's dozens of people here who have the dish on the roof without a problem.

DirecTV will give you the install for free (probably excluding any wall fishing they need to do; I had to pay around $75 for each wall they fished through. I had them fish from the roof, through the 2nd floor, through the first floor, and into the basement.).

CW

If they install it correctly, it won't leak; he was being lazy (IMHO).  How many dishes have you seen on roofs?  How many antennas did you see on roofs in the 70s and 80s?  How many leaks related to that?  Exactly...  I'm sure there's dozens of people here who have the dish on the roof without a problem.

DirecTV will give you the install for free (probably excluding any wall fishing they need to do; I had to pay around $75 for each wall they fished through.  I had them fish from the roof, through the 2nd floor, through the first floor, and into the basement.).

CW

107267[/snapback]

Thanks, again. I'll look into it.